Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH 350 tailshaft interchange?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by liljgoneman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

i've got a freebie motor/tranny combo out of a wrecked blazer 4x4 and i'm wondering if it's as simple as pulling the tailshaft housing that bolts to the transfer case and replacing it with a housing for a 2wd application... anybody have any experience with these transmissions?

2. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

The output shaft will also need to be changed. Unfortunately this comes out from the front, so the transmission will have to come completely apart to change it. HTH

3. hey man Im pretty sure I got a extra 350 tailshaft (2wd) around here...
    want me to throw it in the car when they leave to utah?
    someone correct me if im wrong but it should change over......

4. I should have known that .... had the same prob. with my buddys truck had a 2wd trans and his truck was 4wd had to take it to a shop and have em swap everything..

5. DoubleUc

DoubleUc
    from IL

Jerry Jeff Walker is right on about the output shaft and how to get to it...there are two tailshaft (extension) housings also...the long one and the snub nose, the output shaft has to match this or you will be too long or short if it doesn't...and this will obviously effect your drive shaft length, but you knew that.
    also in thinking more about it, that shaft is the last thing in the trans. if you are going to that length you are going to have this thing completely apart, you might consider a rebuild kit while your at it!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  6. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

hell! toss it in. might be 1 less part i gotta scrounge up.:)

7. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Actually there are three extension housing lengths. The TH350's that were in 71-76 GM full size wagons were a bit longer than the commonly called long shaft extension housing.