Register now to get rid of these ads!

Polyspheric Hemi???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Termites Ate my Chevy, Aug 22, 2008.

1. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

this is "back seat betty" from Hotrod chassis and cycle, Addison IL.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ask kevin he might know.

2. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

man thats kool,,,i use to live really close to addision illl,,,lets see some pics of that car,, kool as heck,,,e mail them if u cant post please,, thanks ,,[email protected]

3. 6narow

6narow

DESOTO!

"Spitfire" was the A poly engine.
    "Firedome" was the Hemi.

There was a kid who asked about Poly's over at another message board I belong to.
    His came in a '66 HEARSE...and it was Canadian.
    Had the 318 in it.
    Pretty cool lookin' ride.

6narow

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  4. 6narow

6narow

Somewhere, I have a pic of a '39 Dodge with a 241 Red Ram Hemi in it and its got a 3-deuce intake mounted on it.
    I bet its the same as yours.

6narow

5. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

i actually dont have any pictures of it, i got those off there website. www.hotrodchassisandcycle.com

theres a few pictures of it online, and i think it was in rod and custom mag.

6. Abomination

Abomination

The 318 poly intake does not swap with any hemi, although over at the 318 Poly Yahoo Group and Forum we've often discussed in all seriousness the viability of a 392-to-318 Poly intake adapter and valley pan. The valley pan has been made, but not the adapter.

I posted links to these places earlier in this thread.

Several intakes exist for the 318 Poly, including an aluminum 3x2 in either 4-bolt or 3-bolt carb bases, a factory cast-iron or an aluminum 2x4, and a factory cast iron or aluminum 4-bbl intake (as well as the stock 2-bbl one).

~Jason

7. Abomination

Abomination

I have Canadian heads for a 318 Poly...

~Jason

8. Andy

Andy

I have read a lot of people say the early 241/270 heads will fit on the 315'325 blocks. I could not make it work. I had a 315 block and 270 heads. The dowels were different but the killer was that the push rods would not go between the lifters and the rockers. The heads moving up changed the angle of the rods and they would not fit. I guess something could be machined but I called it a no go and quit.

9. 73RR

73RR

Apparently, elvis has left the building.....Spitfire was a Chrysler engine...the name is even used on the flat inliners. FirePower is the Chrysler Hemi; FireDome & FireFlite are DeSoto Hemi engines.
    ...how many times do we have to go through this????

10. George

George

Yes, see post 59

11. George

George

The Poly blocks sometimes have push rod clearance problems. Doc Fromader used 241 heads on his 315 build on webrodder, but doesn't recommend them on the tall deck blocks.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Link to Hemi Tech Index is in my signature line if it helps anyone.

I had considered adding a section on Poly motors. Maybe in the future if I find there to be a lot of interest and a lot of people sharing knowledge.

13. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

One of the ugleist engines ever produced

14. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

10,000 comedians outta work... i guess it was only a matter of time 'til a couple of us bumped into each other on the HAMB....1 question though.... isn't tool spelled with an E?.....:eek:

15. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

the brakes are easy... once you identify the damn things for what they are! i put '59 truck drums on one of those beautiful '33 plymouth axles and the only mods are hoggin out the kingpin bosses and the steering arms for the bigger pins and hardware.

16. Abomination

Abomination

P-O-T-A-T-O-E, m&%#ert=fu@k*r!!

[​IMG]

~Jason

17. Abomination

Abomination

Dude, where have you been?

We're out here all over the place! Start a poly thread, please do!

Maybe some of the guys from the Poly Yahoo Group will come over and share some of their info... I'm sure I can get a few to check it out. We've been around in a collective group online in one form or another since just before the turn of the century!

~Jason

18. 6narow

6narow

:eek:...oops.
    Ok, ok, so you're right.
    Sorry. I will forever have a picture engrained in my memory of a light blue DeSoto I ran into on the street one day and I SWEAR it said "Spitfire" on the fender.
    I looked it up in my Chilton's 1954-1963 repair manual and apparently there was also a DeSoto "Firesweep"
    Don't recall what that's all about, but its listed differently from the other engine names in the "DeSoto, Dodge & Dart" section (one section of the book).
    Under the Chrysler section, there's a "Note 2:" that denotes that in the '58 300D "Firepower" is has two rocker shafts per head, while "Spitfire" has one rocker shaft per head.
    From that I would conclude that the Spitfire was the Poly engine and the Fire Power was the Hemi.

Do you agree?

6narow

19. Andy

Andy

I was putting them on a hemi block.

20. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

nice! thats some good info=P i might be getting a 38 plymouth coupe soon.

21. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

241/270 low deck 315 /325 tall deck dodge

22. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

glad somebody can use the info... i nearly burned this thing to the ground outta frustration before i figured out what the axle was! amazing what a few pics posted on the hamb will accomplish...