Register now to get rid of these ads!

00 MACK's favorite Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 00 MACK, Mar 20, 2007.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Here ya go...This Merc should be on everyones top ten list.The car was built in Dayton Ohio and owned by Chuck sides. The car was chopped from what I understand bt Bob Davis in 77.When I was a kid it and Steve Gonzales Street Rodder cover car were my favorites!!!!The car was pictured in the early 80s custom car annual in the Lead Sled spectacular coverage from Des Moines!At that time it was dark maroon in the black and white photo.It had a 54 Chev grille and 55 Chevy side trimfor those who will look.It then showed up at lead east with primer spots in 83.I then saw it a year later in Wayne at the second Lead East and at the nats in Des Moines.The car was then sold and if Im not mistaken was pictured in some show coverage in the south wast in this state as it was finished by Chuck!Where is it now??????Best 1/4 windows ever!!!This is why Im into Mercs.They just dont do em like this anymore!

Attached Files:

2. KoppaK

KoppaK

I haven't seen that before 00, any more pics, how much is out the roof?

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I have one pic from Lead East in Flemington that I took at 10 years of age.Von Dutch was 200 feet away at the time but I didnt give a shit because I wasnt a striper at the time.Roof heights on a top like this are difficult for even the cutter to determine because of the splits made to retain the length and the amount of eyeball adjustments needed to retain the continuity of the lines such as the gutter.

4. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

move that retarded kid outta the way

5. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Its Chuck Sides frandson I beleive.

6. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i thought he was related to shit bag tony

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That sure is a nice chop job. What year.make trim is on the sides?

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

WOW. Awesome! Any idea (if you had to guess Anthony) how much that was cut front and rear? I have a 51 2 dr that I have yet to touch, and that thing is perfect.

9. glassguy

glassguy

if i had to guess ide say 4.5" and 6"

10. KoppaK

KoppaK

Hmmm to my eye that is absolutely perfect.

11. STIFF

STIFF
    from Rat Town

Check out the dude in the baseball hat...he looks to be throwing a water bottle or something at the guy with the camera. See it suspended in mid-air over the car?

12. STIFF

STIFF
    from Rat Town

On second thought...maybe that's a blimp in the distance.

13. akustom57

akustom57

Here are a couple of pictures I have taken in Wichita in 81. I beleive thats where the pic in Custom Cars was taken also. Sorry for the quality, but I was probally 12 when I took these:confused:

Attached Files:

14. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Bob and Chuck are friends of mine and so is the kid in the picture so fuck you Chief!
    I would have to ask Chuck exactly what was taken out of the top but I would say Bob would tell you one thing and Chuck another.
    The guy who chopped that car is a builder who doesnt right anything down cant tell you how he did it etc. He just gets in there figures it out and does it. Bobs in his late 60's now and still chopping and customizing. He has a 51 4-door in his shop right now that has 48 olds door frames molded into it. Its pretty wild with those tear drop frames. The doors look like factory and shut like a refrigerator. It also has a 60 chevy dash. Its been a work in progress for a few years.
    He told me theres more work in the left side doors than in chopping the top and most of his work now days is a one man show.
    If he gets to where he really needs an extra set of hands he calls around for help but he lives out in the woods and works on projects as he feels.
    I worked for Bob and he is truely one in a million.
    Chuck tells me the side chrome is 54 plymouth its modified and flipped. He even forgets what he did to it and how many pieces it was.
    The car also has work by Charlie Brewer and a few others on it.
    Bob did the top, headlights,taillights and lipped the fenders. I cant remeber if he did the grill shell or the hood. The hood is lipped also to match the fenders and skirts.
    In 78 that was a junk shell he sold Chuck.
    Get this he sold him the car back then for $1300 and it wasnt rusted out just gutted.
    This car since it was built was never a trailer queen. It has been driven everywhere. Its a 302/c4 with AC and hydraulics.
    Chuck sold the car due to medical bills and heart surgery. He would like to find the owner now and just keep track of where the car is.

15. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

The picture was taken at Charlotte Motor Speedway by Chuck. It was the last time he saw the car. I scanned it and sent it to Mack

16. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Akustom57,

Thanks for those pics. Man that brings back memories. Thats how the car was when we cruised around in it as teenagers.
    I grew up with Chucks son and we got to cruise in that merc every weekend.
    I didnt have any pictures of it back then.

17. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

So what are you now like the kustom god??? King of Kustoms??? Who cares which merc and which shoebox is your favorite. It's not like you know every single one ever built. Jeez.

Speaking of mercs post a few recent pics of yours Ant I haven't seen it in ages, any progress??

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Bill ,I didnt post this.My friend Rob did it for me.

19. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ant I was kidding man you do know pretty much every single one ever built. But I can't just some out and compliment you now can I? How's yours?

20. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I know.My car is coming along nice.

21. WildBill54

WildBill54
    from NEW JERSEY

Yea. come on Anthony we want to see some pic's of that bad ass merc of yours. Still love the skull in the front grill...

22. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Aah ,Hows the stripimgf on Dads wagon holding up???That 54 looks killer .This isnt the first time Ive seen it.

23. WildBill54

WildBill54
    from NEW JERSEY

Dads wagon is just fine. There are some nice pictures on the Starlight Tattoo website of your work. page 11. If your in the area you have to let me know the chevy could use some of your work.

24. 00 MACK

00 MACK

bttt for Chuck Sides

25. I like the first pic. At first I thought it was the second version of the Green Flame,after Big Daddy got ahold of it.

26. KARASKUSTOMS

KARASKUSTOMS
    from Mesa, AZ

I'd say that is pretty much perfect!

27. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Thanks...I just brought it back up because i was talkin to Chuck Sides and wanted to show him the thread

28. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

BTT. Looking for more info/pics on this Merc.

29. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

TTT. Who built this?

30. isnt it about time for the halloween merc to raise its head ??