Register now to get rid of these ads!

35' Ford wheels on Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firerod, Aug 22, 2008.

1. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

I just bought a 1930 chassis with stock 19" wheels and mechanical brakes. I want to put 35' Ford 16" wheels on this chassis. Will they bolt right up or do I need to change anything?

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

They'll bolt right up! If you keep the mechanical brakes, if you upgrade to juice you have to buy an adapter.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am with Chaddilac on this one, piece of cake.

4. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

What have learned through countless questions and hours of research. Use your model A spindles. Find you some 42-48 drums ,hubs and backing plates, and the 20 dollar adapter kit form speedway. You now have hydraulic brakes. You will need adapter rings, Andy here on the hamb sells them for 40 for a set of 4. These are just big washers that help the wire wheels seat properly. Don't know much about mechanical brakes, other than hydraulics are better.IMO

5. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

There is a little more to the '42 - '48 swap on the model A. The spacing on the holes for the back plate is narrower on the Model A than on the later backs. Also the Model A uses 7/16" bolts and the '42-8's use 1/2". These holes are also very close to the edge of the respective parts. Some people just drill the holes to the 1/2" using the late back as a guide. This puts the hole past the edge of the spindle flange, not a good idea. You will run into this on spindles from '28- '36. The safest way to swap in juice brakes is to use a set of '37-'48 spindles and '40-'48 brakes. One last thing . you will need a new king pin set when swapping spindles. Be sure to get a set for the year of your spindles. The '41- '48 use longer kingpins.

Ron

6. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Thanks for the info.

7. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

They look the best imho.

heres my crappy coupe with 35-36 rims though im getting new tires and having the rims powder coated,
    [​IMG]

8. Speed King

Speed King
    from Omaha

Crappy? That thing looks tasty to me! ^^^^^^^

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  9. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

yep, bolt right up