Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Auto Trans Company, Bowler, TCI, Art Carr?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58Lincoln, Aug 19, 2008.

1. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

I'm REAL close to putting the money out for a Ford 4R70W Performance Transmission, Converter and Electronic Control Unit for my Ford Coupe.

I know what I want/need as far as the performance level of the transmission and these companies seem to offer products that fill the bill.

Any Recommentions, experiences-GOOD or BAD, with Bowler, TCI or Art Carr Transimssions?

Thanks!

2. Art Carr hasn't been part of Art Carr transmissions for a few years now. His new joint is California Performance Transmissions and I have great respect for what he is doing.
    http://www.cpttransmission.com/

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I believe gearstar is an alliance vendor, or at least there is a hamber who is a dealer

4. HotRod31

HotRod31

I have a TCI 700r in my coupe, so far no problems. I bought it about 5 years ago,since then I have heard bad things about'em . I know my son killed one of their convertors with a 350 hp sbc s-10 a few years ago( He won't use'em any more) He is presently waiting on a California Performance Transmission(the real Art Carr) 200r for his '48 .

Later, Mark

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

I have TCI transmissions and convertors in both of my "A"'s, the coupe has had the TCI T-400 trans setup in it for 9+ years with a 9" convertor, stout small block, works perfect.
    My recently completed "A" Sedan has a TCI T-400 setup in it also, behind a Joe Mondello built Buick 407 CID Nailhead, works perfect.
    I have also had TCI setups in 2 other HotRods and 2 drag cars, never a issue or problem.
    Love TCI :)

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I have had really good feedback about this company,very helpful tech people that know overdrives better than almost anyone www.transmissioncenter.net

7. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

Thanks for the input!

Some of the performance transmission companys only do GM.

Looks like I will be going with Bowler. I like the Electronic Control Unit they use. It includes a throttle position sensor which should make for better drivability. A bit pricey though.

8. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

It might cost a little more but go with Bowler. You won't have any problems. I've been working with Mark Bowler for a few years now on different projects and his stuff is the best! Never any problems!!!!!

9. DON_WOW

DON_WOW
    Member Emeritus

OK,,I got to put in a word for the home town guy, Mark has been soaked in trans fluid since he was old enough to crawl. He's bult me four or five 350's and 400's ,all great. The current 200r4 i've got now he did up ,I wanted to be smooth as silk in normal driving, but knock your eyeteeth loose when you put your foot in the waterpump. Thats zackly what I got --could'nt be more pleased.

10. gotwood

gotwood
    from NYC

Do some serious homwork when choosing a converter. Using an off the shelf converter VS. a custom made to your spec deal is night and day in driveability. I had a 700r4 with an off the shelf converter and swapped in a Yank converter and could not believe the difference. Drove like stock but when you got on it I swore i had gained like 50hp the way it took off.

Not trying to push any one company as most converters are made by one place and sold under different names anyway. You would be surprised what name brands do not make their own stuff.

Give Yank converter a try they even offer a free restall if you do not get it right or change your combo. Hold on when you see the price but remember dropping a tranny or a bad converter can ruin the way your rod runs.

Go on the Modular Ford forums their is a lot of related tranny info.

11. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

Bowler is the best.