Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid paint question: Getting overspray off glasses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugman, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Bugman

Bugman

Hey Gang.
    The other day I was spraying some Urethane Enamal on a boat. Had my regular glasses on, not my shop glasses, and I didn't really even think about the overspray. Now my glasses have a nice light haze on them. If the lenses were glass, I'd just steel wool'em, but they're plastic and the wool will scratch'em. Any tips? Thanks.

-Jeff

2. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Detailing clay works great on getting overspray off painted surfaces without scratching, should work on plastic lenses equally well. If you get some light scratches just polish it out...

3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

i used mothers polish to get some rattlecan spray off my headlights, and primer overspray off my trim and windows....might work for what you need....

4. Paul2748

Paul2748

I've used plain old paint thinner you buy in the hardware store (plastic lenses). Didn't seem to bother them at all. Should be able to use enamel reducer or lacquer thinner without harming the lenses. Not sure it works with a urethane though.

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

i won't guarantee it, but after much hesitation, i went ahead and use regular old lacquer thinner on my plastic lenses, no problem for me. i wouldn't try it if you got any kind of coating on them though.

6. Iceberg

Iceberg

Goof Off works great.

7. I used detail clay on my "shop" glasses. Plastic lenses, didnt work that well. 3M makes a plastic window polish, for lexan and such, I am going to try that.

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

I dont detail my cars much, so I dont keep a lot of polishes and stuff around.
    But I do brush my teeth, so I used toothpaste.
    I also use it on my CDs, when they have minor scratches...

9. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

Liquor thinner always works.

10. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

I had the same problem right after I bought a new pair of glasses....took em back to the store and they used denatured alchohol....worked perfect.