Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wrong place at the Wrong time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mofles, Aug 17, 2008.

1. mofles

mofles
    from Long Beach

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Glad your OK,
    The city should pay for repairs,
    it maybe like pulling teeth,but stay firm and you'll get it done.........
    Good luck with it !

3. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

dang coulda been allot worse.

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Look at it this way...now's a good time to chop it! Glad nobody got hurt.

5. mofles

mofles
    from Long Beach

haha..just what i was thinking..i didnt want to cut it up before.I probably would have felt guilty..well see :)

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's pretty fucked up. hopefully the tree owner will pay. I had a branch fall on my truck once in my old apartment complex and they paid up no problem.

one thing... if you are not skilled in sheetmetal repair do not touch it. I've see dents like that made even worse by someone without the proper knowlege "helping " by pushing it back to shape.... try to stay away from general colision repair shops... take it to a place that does old cars.

7. mofles

mofles
    from Long Beach

i was told that by a lot of people.
    some even told me id get more money since i was standing next to it when it happend...dont know if its true but if it is CHa-Ching haha..

its not about the money for me..i just want my car back to the way it was

8. BadLuck

BadLuck

Damn dude....Glad youre ok...I would look at it as a "sign from above"......to chop it!:)

9. Dirk35

Dirk35

You should get your insurance to talk to their Home Owners Insurance if you dont have full coverage. Youll be suprised what the Home Owners Insurance will cover.

10. mofles

mofles
    from Long Beach

what if the tree was city property and not on the home owners property?
    would home owners insurance cover anything?
    thanks for the info

11. Totally a sign from above to chop that top
    (and the city can pay for it!)
    Glad yer OK...

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad you're ok, I've got a '54 roof but were 3000 miles away.

13. poorboy

poorboy

damn man, i am truly sorry for that. i remember you recently posting that you had just acquired that car. but, like its been mentioned, it could've been worse

14. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

That really sucks. The really bad news is the City of Long Beach probably won't pay for anything. They are assholes and are famous for blaming everybody else. As an example, look how long it took them to respond to a 911 in the first place. If you have comprehensive insurance on your car, then your insurance will pay for it. You can try to sue the city but by the time it gets to court you will be too old to collect.

15. mofles

mofles
    from Long Beach

Im going to contact the city see if theyll pay up.I just called the insurance and they wont pay since i dont have full coverage.:mad:

16. rockabillybus

rockabillybus

Sounds like you have that car insurance that only covers Ficus trees....lol:D

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about your car and I know I would be livid if it happened to mine.

17. DJR13

DJR13
    from Venice, Ca

Shiiiit! That sucks. Hard luck. sorry dude

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

First thing you did wrong.....HOUSE PARTY. Haahaha
    Glad no one was really hurt, chop it.

19. mofles

mofles
    from Long Beach

Do you know how i should go about claiming for something like this. Im kinda lost here and some advice would help.

The drip rail was damaged by the branch. When it fell it slid onto the side of the car and damaged it. The worker did a good job, and quick..though the chainsaw got kinda close a few times:eek:

20. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I hate to be a possible bearer of bad news, but here in Ohio, if that tree was alive it would be called an 'act of god'. If it was dead or diseased, then whoever was responsible for its upkeep would be responsible for damages occuring as a result of their negligence in maintaining their tree. I know this because I just lost two trees in my yard and my neighbor's car was buried. Luckily, two days later when we got it unburied there wasn't a scratch, but my insurance agent give me the skinny on the liability for that. That's here in Ohio, though, your luck may vary...

21. ShortBus

ShortBus

I feel your pain. Mine was hit by a city-owned tree. Not only that the city had a crew come by a month before it fell and cut all of the roots on one side because they were undermining the sidewalk. It rained all day before and the tree came down early the next morning.

I took pics of the very cleanly cut roots which were now facing the sky, filed a claim with the city of S. Pasadena and they paid out lickety split.

[​IMG]

good luck with yours.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

owch...now that sucks

23. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

break out the hammer and dolly

24. mofles

mofles
    from Long Beach

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  25. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

If Long Beach is anything like Sacramento, I'm afraid you' may be out of luck.
    A friend of mine tried to get Sac City to pay for his car that was flattened by their tree and had no luck at all. An "act of god" was their reply.

But...it's worth a try.

Too bad it didn't fall on the Carmen Ghia during their drunken burnout - now that really would be an act of god.

26. If the city won't pay, you just have to file suit and see if you can get the story in the paper. Go have a look at the area in daylight, see if you can determine why the branch fell in the first place, take pictures.

27. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

thats horrible! but it looks like it could be straightened out a bit until your ready to chop it.

28. ShortBus

ShortBus

Mine was clearly an act of man. It rained for most of the day a month after they cut the roots and the tree fell a few hours after it stopped raining. And it fell away from the cut side.

I went to city hall, showed the pics to the clerk and asked her how to file a claim. She gave me all of the paperwork.

29. 6deucecaddy

6deucecaddy

That's what you get for trying to "skank the night away"! You should have never driven the car anyways. Too much car for you little boy. Should have kept it a trailer queen. Tow is the way to go. Get some!!! HAHAHA

30. archied1067

archied1067

to much car for the bad side of the LBC. you should of just stayed home .dont cry foo you can chop it so you can be cool like me .yeah........