Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T= Machinist Preferance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rossco, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Whats going on guys..and some girls. Been a rough last couple weeks.
    Anyway..
    So get the meat and potatoes..
    Been running CAD X for a year and still cant get the interface to down right. Recently discovered Solidworks and CAMworks... Anybody have some opinions on this softwear??

Running mostly HAAS gear

2. noboD

noboD

I use DRO with two handles.

3. I hear ya, still use tape on the ways and a sharpie,, can't even afford a read out!

So Broke, can't even pay attention

4. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

we use Solid Works and Edge Cam. If all your doing is G-code for the HAAS, this works the best Conversational is a big time waster.....
    Also, the Company I work for does 80 mill in business, so we use whatever it takes..

5. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

I still use the acurite for the manuals and such. I use g-code now but looking at linking cnc to the desktop, cause the cabs themselves only have about 1gb of memory. Is the edge cam tool easy to export?

6. wayne-o

wayne-o

We use Bob-cam for our HAAS mini-mill. We also run solidworks but from what I understand we have to change the solidworks dwg into a 2D autocad type drawing to send to the Bob-cam. The Bob-cam g-code generated program is downloaded directly into the HAAS. I believe the Bob-cam program was only like $500.00 and it has a 3D drawing program included. We recently purchased another mill with a Fanuc control and have had some issues downloading the programs directly to it.

7. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

I have used bob-cam. I was looking a at solidworks cause with there CAMworks you dont have to jump back and forth, just finish the dwg and set tooling and verify cut paths from what its saying. Dont have to change anything.

8. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Most of the code is generated in the front office and sent to a main server. We download it to a software pak called Axalant and it sends it to the machine. No programs stored in the machine...
    Can use other stuff that is uploaded on a memory stick......

9. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I've used FeatureCam for the last 3 years with Haas machines with flawless results. It kinda pricey, but it eliminates the need for having to buy Solidworks or Inventor or AutoCad. You can create 3D images with it and go straight to a G-code program without having to convert this or that. It has the capability to do 5 axis machining and modeling as well. It can import or export many different file extensions, and is offered with a free evaluation copy from the manufacturer,Delcam. Hope this helps.....

10. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Feature Cam, For CAM and solidworks for CAD and modeling.
    Featurecam.com