Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Decrudding a 51 Merc front end...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Aug 16, 2008.

1. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

...with junk you have laying around your house! :) Two pieces spliced from a junk Merc roof, the crown near the drip rail, formed on the 51 quarters and hammering over a t shirt on a drain pipe, and at a quick glance (with a grill in) has a 50 Merc shell without the ton of money spent to get it. Trimmed it back to be flush with the hood to, so it doesnt have that stupid lip. Sorry for the uber crappy pics, the camera I keep in my garage has long since seen its hayday.

Back to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Looking good! Maybe round the corners of the hood?

3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

chris has all but rebuilt this entire car, dedication to the max and another merc' saved!! way to go my friend

4. awesome work ..

5. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

bitchin... you DO need a new cam tho bro. :D

hows about showin' us on a pic of a whole car where you cut the donor tin from...

6. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Me? Never! If you even saw this thing, this 51 would have been the donor car!

The 49 Merc stuff came from a 4 door that had decent rot, but wasnt terrible. The deal sealer was though that someone put it on a 83 Marquis chassis/floors and it was approx 115" wheelbase. They centered the rear wheels and the fronts were WAY back in the wheelwells. I had a few options, so I thought, but I really couldnt subframe it as the front frame kickup was oddly shaped, and extending it would have been equally hard as the control arms mounted right near that mess of a kickup, Id have to remove the body, lengthen the middle, then move all the mounts. At the end of the day Id have a rusty 49 4 dr on a wide subframe looking frame that although riding great, would have sat like a 4x4 with the wheels sticking out of the wheelwell. So that got used up for every possible part.

The other tin (fenders, lower pan) were collecting from various places. Most of the fender stuff came from Tokyo when he brought up a pile of Mercmess that came off his car. Thanx man! Oh and Punkabillys headlite rings! :D

7. 63jalopy

63jalopy

Very nice job. I'm planning to do a similar thing on my '50 tudor. I am going to try first with exhaust tubing spliced together to get the same kind of surround you have.

8. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

9. HOLY SHIT! Most guys would have walked....RAN away from that thing,ha ha ha!!
    You've got some talent,to pull that repair off. Nice job...

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember doing the same thing with mine....

She looks way more better, your damn near done!!

-Abone.

11. Looks great, sometimes it's better to fix something that's obvious rather than buy a painted up car like mine and have to spend a few thousand bux having a bud fix a bunch of stuff.

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

man you back east guys are brave.....:)!!

13. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

No kiddding, I forget how good we have it living here in so cal. That thing looked like a nightmare!

I gripe about a little rust in the floor pan

14. Squablow

Squablow

Looks nice. Hammered over a T-shirt on a drain pipe? I'll have to try that. Is it a section of drain pipe, or are you actually holding pieces of the car up to pipes installed in your shop and beating against them?

Really though, good use of a section of the parts car that would probably otherwise go unused. Are you going to run the stock grille again? I see the ends on there yet.

15. glassguy

glassguy

looks awesome tuff guy! i did the same thing to mine . man we are smuckin fart!

16. thats dedication dude!

17. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

mighty fine job their buddy, keep up the good work

18. rodknocker

rodknocker

I keep staring at the first pic and think it may fit into the "cool pics" thread,keep up the good work.

19. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Nice work wild man,

and to think he plays tennis too!!