Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cool Find 48 Pontiac Straight 8!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Engine Pro 5X, Aug 14, 2008.

1. So I'm in the shop yesterday trying to thrash on Povertyflats Hemi when the local undertaker stops by for a visit,he does that quite often. I think he might be trying to tell me something!! Anyway he says he can't believe that I haven't bought the old car that was for sale down town. Well crap I didn't even know about it. So I go investigate and the next thing you know we are in the process of buying this gem. I come back to the shop to run the deal past Fritzbaldm. We count our change,dig up a few coffee cans from the stash and pool our funds and away we go cash in hand. We can now say we are the proud owners of this beauty. And the worst of it all is I now owe the UNDERTAKER a FAVOR>>>>.

Attached Files:

2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

That thing is a real beauty. Any history on it? Be wary of undertakers. Always trying to drum up some business.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  3. Talking about undertakers--when I was a kid in Rockmart GA, our family doctor's office was next door to the funeral home. Dr. Goldin had a sense of humor about it--he said if he couldn't help you, he could just refer you next door.

4. gts340

gts340

5. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Check out this photo of My buddy JP's Dad's Pontiac dealership in Sioux City Iowa circa 1948.

Attached Files:

6. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Bruce, I don't see a clutch pedal. 1948 was the first year of the optional Hydramatic. That's awesome.

7. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Don't see a shift lever either for that matter.

Like the old fastbacks and will have one eventually. Good luck with the L8.

8. Great find congratulations! The shift lever is there, just gotta look.

Bring her on down to Key West and we can celebrate your good fortune over a cool beverage.

Bill

9. Paul, History on car. Long,Old,Heavy!! The cat we bought it from said he inherited it from his aunt. He just always kept it and finally ran out of room at the house. Yes it does have the Hydromatic trans and a huge carb. Windshield washers and who knows what else. We dug around in the trunk and the undertaker dude said "that trunks big enough to haul a body" The straight engine purrs like a kitty. A big Kitty>>>>. And that pic of your buddies Poncho dealership,do you have any more shots of it that building is awesome>>>>.

Attached Files:

10. yblock292

yblock292

That is kool, can't wait to see it in person, whats the odometer show?

11. Squablow

Squablow

That thing is clean. You guys must keep a lot of pennies in your coffee cans to be able to buy that thing with it. Even the chrome is nice. I like the visor too.

12. The trick is to throw a Franklin in the can every once in awhile along with the pennies. Oh and the can must be buried below the frost line or the paper money will start to mildew. The front of this ride is flawless chrome is perfect. And the eyebrow over the windshield does rock>>>>.

Attached Files:

13. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I have one, though not nearly as clean (not even close). Does it still have the rear wiper?

Nice find....

14. Ahh let's see option list,Rear wiper check, yes it has one and it is in tact. Looked under the seat and it also has a seat heater!! I'll post more pics later>>>>.

Attached Files:

15. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Are you going to resale that cool car?

16. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That rear wiper is cool as hell. I thought that was a recent thing.

17. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Haa haa,hot rod hobby money Jif-jarred in the backyard!
    Cool find! Good on you!

18. Ok. I knew someone would ask that so here goes. My 16 year old daughter has been ragging me for a different car. So at lunch I told her I purchased a new ride today and when I got done thrashing engines at work that tonight I would load the family up in the new ride and we would go cruisin. I will get back to you and let you know if she likes her new car!!!!>>>>.

19. Odo shows 81170.Cat said that's actual. See the pic. And check out the Indian Chief Head for a high beam indicator. Shizzz>>>>.

Attached Files:

20. mercjoe

mercjoe

21. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

Any story about the steering wheel. Doesn't look like a little old lady wheel.

22. Ok I think our 14-year old and her friend like the car but the 16-year old is MIA and we don't have her oppinion yet>>>>.

Attached Files:

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Way cool purchase, Bruce.
    It's almost as nice as the Weinermobile I found in Korea...:)

[​IMG]

24. Wow Doug I new I could count on you for a compliment. thanks man>>>>.

25. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

You're gonna love that car brother. I said for a long time that these cars are overlooked. I have a 48 convertible I'm getting back on the road and Flynbrian on here has one also.
    Rocky one of the moderators had one like yours. He told me the punkin from a 56 olds is a direct bolt on...I hope so cause I bought one for mine.
    You might want to check out the 42-48 Pontiac message board on yahoo groups. A little stuffy for me but there is a lot of information there on these cars. Also there is a link there to 42-48 Pontiac registry. They are trying to get these cars registered to see how many are still out there as there was a fire in one of Pontiacs buildings and the records were lost.
    Great Car!!! Thats next on my list when the ragtop is done!

48 Poncho

Attached Files:

26. The cat that we bought this ride from brought some more cool stuff by the shop. Can't believe this stuff is in this kinda shape for being 60 years old>>>>.

Attached Files:

27. Ok guys I guess it's settled our daughter doesn't like the car. Something about long,hard to park and no place to plug in the i-pod. So with that being said to the classified's it goes>>>>.

28. oldsman71

oldsman71

cool find!!!!!

29. sololobo

sololobo

Jumpin Jesus!! That is one way-cool Pontiac, the options are staggering. I'm stoked for ya cats. Undertaker rules!!-Sololobo

30. Well it's official as we sent a fellow H.A.M.B.er his Christmas present today. Here's a pic of Fritzbaldm driving the old girl onto the transport.The Streamliner is enroute to it's new owner. Thanks to everyone here on the H.A.M.B. that made this possible as we sold this fine auto out of the classifieds. thanks Ryan, "This place RULES" >>>>.

Attached Files: