Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New face in the garage...1956 Thunderbird (barn fresh)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIGREDTODD, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. raven

raven

Wow.
    It's not like those pop up everyday.
    r

3. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

Looks great sitting next to that Truck! Congratulations.

4. James427

James427
    BANNED

OK, out with the story!~

5. My uncle raced boats back in the day, and his partner bought it brand new and had Vic Edelbrock's team build a "full-race" 312 for it to upset the fuelie Vette guys. My uncle bought it from his partner in '57, and subsequently blew the bored, stroked, ported, relieved engine that was, based on his recollection around 340 cubic inches.

It now has a mild-cammed 312, but retains the Edelbrock 553 manifold with a trio of matching holleys with progressive linkage, a very cool "W&H DuPoint" dual point distributor (ever heard of this brand?). Note how the air cleaners were clearanced around the carbs for hood clearance...

Also, a lot of old chrome work under hood including the heater ducts, fan shroud, hood latches, etc. Most is hard to see because of the dirt but it's there.

Gives me a chubby to see this in my garage next to my '60 F-100.

A lot of old chrome under hood

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Score! That is a really nice find.

7. motorbreath53

motorbreath53
    from SoCal

My womern would leave me for one of those...

keep the pics coming of.... well.... whatever your plans are for it...

8. In the early 1980's, the car was stolen from storage and subsequently recovered and given a cosmetic restoration, and general mechanical freshening up. It's been sitting in the shed ever since at the home of the painter (a close friend). The painter died last year, and his wife followed this year, so it was a perfect opportunity to rearrange my garage and welcome the new face...

9. Pretty sure mine would too! I guess I timed it just right!

My plans for right now are a serious bath, sort through the trunk full of parts, and figure out any tidbits that are missing...My uncle has the rechromed front bumper on his living room floor, as well as the conti' kit and a few other goodies. Going to do my best to find any and all old pictures from the late 1950's and early 1960's when it was prime...

Also will need some care to properly get the brakes up and gently wake up the 312 and auto tranny. The carbs/linkage are free, and the car rolls easy. Just REALLY dirty. The old Firestone WWW tires look pretty good, but well see...

Todd

I only have the one full side shot right now, but we all know what they look like, right?

Attached Files:

10. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

I have been looking for an AFFORDABLE 55/57 for years and have seen a lot of crap in the process. Great history that means more to you than anyone else. Oh, ditch the continental kit though.

You are a lucky man!

11. Not a big fan of them either, but my wife sure likes 'em...

And since I told her on Sunday :eek: that I was rearranging the garage for a 'Bird that was arriving Wednesday, I may have to make a concession:D...

I have seen so many sweet posts about dragging cool rides home, I am really excited to have a story of my own this time.

I really don't have any plans to change a thing at this point. While the car doesn't have a public "history" it has loads of sentimental value...:)

12. eddie1

eddie1

Looks great next to the truck. I am very jealous of both of your rides.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

very nice find..was too buisy getting to posting my approval to read much...so whats your plans for her?

read your plans...sweet..very nice..hope you get out to enjoy it soon.

14. WOW,Non porthole top :eek::eek::eek:

That"s a rarity in itself.

Congrats,Oldmics

56/57 T Birds

15. Muttley

Muttley

Yep, I have a few of their decals.

[​IMG]

16. Sweet...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  17. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Man you've got some cool family history there, what lucky guy and I wish you the best..... Keep It Forever, pass it down to the next generation.

18. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

damn... LUCKY LUCKY man

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Man, I love those old 'Birds! Looks like it's in good shape, and I like the engine story.
    Very cool - good for you!

Malcolm

20. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

What a score!!! Nice, nice car. I love hearing these stories and they're even sweeter with pictures!

Good for you!!

21. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome to the Birdsnest! Got a Raven Black 55 and 02 myself, Like the 55 much more!.
    Killer Score! Enjoy it!

22. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

Dammit Boy!!!! You sure know how to live....

23. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Great. Then you can mount it on the wall in the kitchen.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

24. :eek::eek::eek:

I'm still getting her used to another car...I think I'll let her have her way...for now:cool:

25. I had a 56 T-Bird bought it in 58 it was the 312 Power Pack engine Great Car! <br> sold it in 77 and regretted it ever since <br> The W & H Dual Coil set up was a Very Popular use to put them on a Lot of Mopar's <br> Congrats on the Find Nice Car

26. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Nice find. I love driving those old birds!

27. The hubcaps are M.I.A. so I am thinking of going with something that is year-correct and will fit on the original rims, but be a little different than what I see on most...

What do you think about dog dish caps and beauty rings? It's either that or the boring stock full hubcaps...I don't want to do spiders, custom wheels, etc...

I found these on ebay, kind of what I am thinking. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

28. casper

casper

Wow! The history of the car is really cool. I don't think the car could have gone to a better home! Some things are just meant to be! Congrats.

29. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I think those caps are perfect! There's a 56 in storage near me, and it has them and I love the look.
    They are much more business-like and not the typical look.
    The 'bird near me has one accessory wire cap which fits around these caps and makes them look like wire-wheel caps, but with this hubcap at the center.