Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats a good daily driver intake manifold for an sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Draginit1290, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

i have very little knowledge on motors cuz my skills lye in metal, fabric, and other areas...so i'd like to pick your brains for ideas!

-i have a 1998 block, 350 bored .030, corvette cam, vortec heads, freshly rebuilt and tested...
    there are so many intake manifolds to choose from and i dont know what is an ideal manifold for a daily driver.

-im looking for something that i only have to lift the hood to show or change oil n such, not constant tweaking of anything.

-i know theres lots of experience here and someone cant point in the right direction as to what i need to know to determine the right manifold! thanks.

-i would ask my friends here, but they can be misleading as they run big blocks and keep trying to convince me to run shit to do like 9 sec quarter miles.. sheesh, whats wrong with just wanting to cruise!!!

2. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Edelbrock Air Gap !The best for the buck...

3. Tony

Tony

Either the Edelbrock Performer RPM or Air Gap as mentioned. Never used the Air Gap, but have friends who have and love it.. I've run the RPM many times and alway's liked them.

Tony

4. 2002p51

2002p51

The Edelbrock "Performer" line is closest to an OE manifold but will give you a little better breathing. As a plus, if you have smog inspections, most of them are 50 state smog legal.

5. Scotch

Scotch

Another vote for the RPM Air Gap. It's a tall dual plane, so you get a nice compromise between bottom end and top end. I fattened up the mid range on mine with a four hole-to-open 2-inch spacer, which I'd recommend if you have the hood clearance.

~Scotch~

6. blackout

blackout

Performer with 600 CFM vac sec Holley

7. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

the air gap works good till about 6700-6800. i spin mine to fast for dual plane's haha. but on the street its very well behaved not like a tunnel ram or a big tall open plane. the best intake i ever used for a mild sbc was the performer rpm. for a street/strip the air gap would work good.

8. jhughes76

jhughes76

I like the Weiand Stealth. Its power band is idle to 6k, so you have plenty of power even at the low RPMs. GM Performance Parts also used to make a repop of the original Z-28 manifold. It was good off idle, and its power band went higher than you probably would ever want to wind your engine.

9. I use a Holley Contender on my daily. It works fine.

10. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

My vote would be for the Performer Air Gap with a properly set up Q-Jet on top of it.

11. boscosis

boscosis

I vote for a standard performer also.

12. ditto

13. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

ok, ive been looking at these for awhile, average price seems to be above 200$....seem right?
    -then i realized there IS a difference between vortec heads and older blocks. so it looks like i'll be paying more for the vortec style. but i dont see any vortec style intakes in polished, er chromed, er any other finish then plain....
    --anybody have a link to these performer intakes?? thanks!

14. brandon

brandon

you'd be surprised how well they work.....my father in law runs one on his 330hp/350 crate motor stocker.....has gone 6.80 in the 1/8 and high 10.80's in the 1/4.... all that with a 465 lift cam:eek:.....i'm thinking anything dual plane designed within the past 5 years or so.....something to really work good with those vortecs.... as those are on the mentioned crate motor stocker too....:D even one of those professional products crosswind intakes would work well...... brandon:D

15. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

edlebrock.com ?

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

for a daily driver..stock is just fine..and they are real cheap too.

17. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

LOL, you think i woulda found that first! its certainly all there. thanks, i was checking summit,jegs, n such...

just to get an opinion..what does everyone think of "professional products" ...so there made in china i read, i also read they use edelbrocks designs/molds so there is no differences and its half the cost!
    -thoughts

18. dbradley

dbradley

19. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

20. brandon

brandon

21. mac762

mac762

Professional Products are made in China stealing American designs. What do you think I think of them? Fuck China.
    If you can not buy a new American made intake buy a used one.

22. Tony

Tony

Yep, gotta agree with that.
    You could put an add in the classifieds for a used Edelbrock if all else fails due to cost. They are around and can usually be bought for, or under 75.00.

23. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Performer with 600 Edelbrock carb and electric choke.

24. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

With ga$ prices where they're at, and all else considered, I'd go the Edelbrock carb and Edelbrock manifold route too....the only difference is, i would run the 500 CFM & an electric choke;.....you're running on 2 barrels most of the time anyway, so why bother with the 600?....just a few thoughts! Good Luck!

25. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

yup, cost isnt really the issue for me, i just didnt realize they were running that much cuz my friends here have been telling me around 150$ or less for the longest time. i guess they prolly referring to used or the offbrand stuff(i think their just ignorant to it)

i believe ive decided to go with the performer and 600/elec choke. it just makes sense now for a daily driver.. i will look at that 500 more tommorow, jegs seems to have a good price right now on the carbs but im gonna keep shoppin! i was able to figure out a lot with these inputs and using it to search the net. thanks!!