Register now to get rid of these ads!

240/300 into early falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moon.dog62, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Has anyone ever put a 240/300 canadian 6 in an early 60's falcon?

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

No, I have not but they tell me it is a very tight sqeeze.
    I have a falcon and gave up on any swaps like that it just gets too hard.
    It can be done but at what cost not just dollars I am talking about.
    Seems much simpler to use a windsor V8.
    Id be interested to read what anybody else has to say about such a swap.
    I saw an early falcon with what looked to be about a 200 cubic inch six with a side mounted blower fitted, it was tidy and boy it got up and went.

3. putting a windsor in aussie falcons (pre 64)has all sorts of legal dramas in some states. plus i had a 240 in my old F100 and it went real nice. so far the plan is a 221 and BW 3 speed auto

4. panic

panic

The 240/300 is way longer and will have the obvious firewall and radiator clearance issues, plus quite a bit of extra weight.

5. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

It is a tight fit in a full size car or truck. Maybe with a modified trans tunnel, and a remote water pump and electric fans. It also puts a lot of weight in front of the wheels. A 200 six is a better choice. Clifford makes some parts for it and you can fit it right in there. They can make good power with a little hop-up.

6. mickellis

mickellis

I've got a 221 & BW35 auto in my '61. Some clearance issues, (trans tunnel, sump /crossmember...) but nothing too hard.

7. hoop

hoop

I had a 1960 Falcon ,ran I Gas. 240 with a .65 Mustang 4 spd . Engine was set back and it had an Econoline front axle. Engine had a small Crane cam ,600 Holley and headers, ran14.1 not great for the class but a lot of fun.

8. My 1st car was a battleship gray '61 Falcon sedan delivery (retired meter-reader's rig). In 1969 a friend and I (mostly him) stuffed a 300/C6 into it. We made the motor mount brackets, had to massage the firewall, and moved the rad in front of the core support. His neighbor had rolled his Mustang, so all the chassis and suspension bits got bolted onto the "Awsome Possum". My friend knew Ak Miller, who was a huge fan of the 300. So we borrowed some of Ak's porting tricks, added an Offy 360 (C) manifold, 4BBL, Crower 280 cam, FE flat-top pistons,and home made headers. Torque was never a problem, and I could eat SBCs all weekend long, and still get 18mpg on the highway(if I could keep my foot out of it-not!).
    An easy swap? No. But not too difficult, and very much worth the effort.
    BTW, my friend had a righteous '57 F100, so I'm combining the two in my current project.
    Get over to fordsix.com and snoop around. LOTS of good info on all kinds of swaps, including your Falcon. Have fun, and keep us posted.

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I put one in a '64 Sprint. It ran great.
    What is the difference between Canadian and US?

10. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Do they have the 250 in Aus? Based on the 144/170/200, but a taller deck and V8 bellhousing pattern.

Did a search, yup, I think it's the 4.1L. In 84 they got a crossflow aluminum head in the XF Falcons. I think it will almost drop in place of the original 144/170, except for transmission upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  11. see fordsix.com for detailed swap information. I believe utilizing classicinlines.com aluminum head on a 250 is the default straight six set-up. There are a few cars with turbo versions running 10s in the quarter.

12. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Yeah, you Aussies have a lot more easy options for Falcon speed than we do. Up here a 221 and a 3spd makes a good door stop, not so much a good performance swap. In the falcon thread theres some guys running the 250 with the Oz head. The aluminum head LaGrasta mentioned isn't cheap. Last I checked somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 bucks. Yeah there's people running 10's, it's all about how much you want to spend. Fordsix.com is a good place to start.

13. unclechop

unclechop

221/250 are bigger in every way than 144-200.
    221-250 can use 2v head (tunnel port type) last time I saw one for sale ~$500,
    2v will beat a mild windsor hands down every time, a mate used to have one with twin exhaust that sounded fantastic.
    BTW Moondog are you the infamous raymond p moondog from newsledder fame??

14. unclechop

unclechop

BTW I have a rooted 2v in the shed if anybody has never seen one before,i can post some photos.

15. No not Ramond P Moondog. Got a 221 lined up all rebuilt for $300 and it has been a little warmed over. Some of my buddies run 2V's awesome motor might get one later, bit out of my price range right now. My understanding is that the 221 bolts straight in but the 250 fouls somewhere (crossmember maybe) and requires some modification.

16. Ha! FTF is a "newbie"? Now that's a misnomer! If anybody has speed tips for the Ford big 6, it's him. Check out his son's 240 powered Anglia over at fordsix.com.

17. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think you mean the original Windsor V8 and he means a 221ci I6. I asked about this swap myself on Fordsix.com and got pretty much the same feedback - yes it can be done, but it's more work than just working over a large-displacement "smallblock" six. Still, do it if you want, the "bigblock" six is certainly nice to look at.

-Dave

18. yeah i meant the 221 aussie 6