Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T, but what happens when a dyno breaks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, Aug 8, 2008.

1. tred

tred

if you're making a dyno pull/run, and say the drum stops or something similar happens, is there a fail safe mechanism that would protect the car?
    what would happen in that instance?

i know what happens when a tie down breaks, i've actually witnessed that back east.

2. diggers4life

diggers4life

A guy I know dynos high dollar pulling truck, monster truck, and drag boat engines for a living. A year or two ago, he was running one and the bolts that connect the flywheel to the motor let go during a run. The motor waaay over reved and grenaded. That was a very expensive lesson to learn. I asked him how often he replaced those bolts because he has to take them out and retorque them for each motor. He said he had never replaced them and had been using them for years....

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

On a chassis dyno, the drum is just weight. The dyno just measures how fast a car can accellerate it's rotation. Other than turning on bearings, there is nothing to break.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Friend of mine blew up the water brake on his engine dyno. Nearly killed him. Don't like to think about it even now.

5. madjack

madjack

Had a drum shaft bearing fail on my Hartzell motorcycle dyno, with a 'Busa on at full chat. The bike zigged then zagged but the wheel chock held and nothing other than soiled shorts for me was damaged

6. How about the straps???:eek:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265915

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lj0-_K_RsmA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lj0-_K_RsmA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

woah, talk about soiled shorts!

8. 65 impala

65 impala

wow that would wake anyone up

9. Tony

Tony

Damn, what a save!!
    Do they use a second set of straps too just in case the tie down straps break or was that guy just on the ball to save his ride, and his ass?

10. oldsman71

oldsman71

I think that would make you pee a little!!!!!!!!

11. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

All I can is WOW!
    I would never put a car on a chassis dyno with only two straps.....................that guy was one of the luckiest guys I've ever seen...................not to mention the crowd!

Whoever was running the dyno had peanut butter for brains.

The only real serious issue you can have is if you blow a tire on the dyno at full power, as the tire comes apart it goes everywhere. Saw a twin turbo truck blow a tire during a full pull (he was making over 800HP/1500 lb/ft) the tire ripped/tore/bent the bed and cab of the truck and scattered the crowd........no one got hurt, but the truck was a mess.

12. ComingApart

ComingApart

Thanks alot guys....
    I never once would have thought about this, no you've planted in my head.

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!