Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who had the coolest car in school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maxwedge66, Jul 31, 2008.

1. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I don't know if I had the coolest, but my sophmore year I drove a 64 Biscayne; full hydraulics, supremes, Emerald Green/white top, etc. My senior year I drove(and still have) a 49 Chevy fleetline, black w/flames, WWW's, hopped up 216. This was in 99-2000.

2. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Prolly mine as well as a '40 Ford 2-door cedan with flattie and '39 floor shift box. Mine had split exhaust with Douglas steel packs, a dual intake and a lot of body mods. Year was 1955 and no muscle cars at that time (Yes I'm an old fart)

Here's mine in 1955:

[​IMG]

Repainted and pinstriped in 1956. Pinstriping done by a budddies dad that was a sign painter:

[​IMG]

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, by the way. Nice car dude! But, did you realy need the friggin Doof doof shit?

5. I was going to say that I have never had a cool car, period. Some really fast ones but never one that anyone includeing myself thought was cool. Cool never was or is an issue with me.

But in my high school I would have to say that Larry Lord had the coolest car, or cars. He had a real sweet '57 Chebby Hard top with a small block in it, moderately healthy. He also had a '57 post car also a small block real healthy, same paint and trim as the hard top. Used to race the hard top then come back later after it was a little darker out with the post car for a grudge match. Lotsa guys got hustled, it just don't get any cooler than that.

6. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

While I was in Highschool I was building my 57 and working at a tri-5 Chevy shop to learn and make money for the build. There was a 55 in the shop that I was building, and it turned out it was a girl at schools car. I finished hers long before I finished mine... senior year she won best car in the year book. I drove mine to school for the first time the day after they took the pictures! Story of my life Day late and a dollar short.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hell I did. 55 stude champion, inline flat 6, 3 on the tree with OD. It was cool as a witches tit in the winter and one HOT ride in the summer. Sorry no pics, I broke the Brownie when I was trying to take a pic of it.

8. codeblu

codeblu

I don't know if it was the coolest, my senior year 1979 I had a 55 Chrysler New Yorker 4dr, the car was stone stock except for the 4 inch lowering job. There was another kid at my school with a channeled 34 Ford pu his grandfather had built.

9. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Shame some of those old Hold-On's didnt come out in a 2 dr coupe. Would have made smart looking St gassers. 4 inch' chop, fender pipes, cage, straight axle...

10. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

I drove this all through High school...and a few years after too!
    [​IMG]

11. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

12. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

this thread shows the wide differences of rodding In the US and other countries. I came up from the 40,s as a kid 6yrs old who was interested in cars, especially trip my family made relocating for the WW2 war effort from chicago, to los angeles. right in the middle of the rodding boom. in 1944. I saw and heard the roadsters, etc, in the L.A. area and that really set me off. my hi skool era was a little before 'american graffitti" but that flick probly tells it more like it was than any others. we had old cars and there were a lot of hot rods around and if your daddy didnt get ya a nice later model ride then you could try for a rod because status was everything.My oldman was a 'if you want one then go get a job and pay for it guy, and that ment insurance too. He even sold me his old trade ins. I had a stock model A cpe, 41 ford business cpe, and them my oldmans, 47 dodge cpe. [now that was a makeout machine]and built a model A 2dr at the end of high school some of my old buddies at my 50th reunion still remmbered that A bone.

13. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

At my High School there were 3 GT 350 mustangs, a 289 Cobra, GTO's, GTX 426 Hemi,
    and a ton of Camaro's and Nova's. I had a VW............. ran the low 13's

14. thanks - and yes, a sunday cruise down the coast wouldnt be the same without music, and the music I listen to has bass:cool:

15. carkiller

carkiller

Being a gear head I busted my ass and budget to start my sophmor year with a fresh 55 belair ht. Corvette bronze and cream. 283 punched to 292 dunta cam 59 pont rear 4.11 zooms 4speed 8.25x15 cheaters fender well headers w/dumps. First day of that year showed up 63 ss 409 car 65 tri power GTO 70 mustang boss 302. The year was 1972. Mine wasnt the coolest but was second fasted, this was decided at the local quarter at noon hour. What a great memorie to remember.

16. I didn't have the coolest car in 66, but I had a few cars. First was my 56 chev hardtop, next was my 50 Anglia which I rearended someone with causing me to sell my 56 to pay for the accident. Last was my 46 ford sedan which I still had in the mid 90's. No-one in my school had a hot rod, but one of my buddies had a black 56 ford hardtop that his Dad had bought new. He still has it. I was 17 in 66 and in my first car club as well. The Kam Pushers of Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. Neatest car in the club at the time was a full fendered A coupe with a 361 Chrysler engine. Pat.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  17. sneakyPete

sneakyPete
    Alliance Vendor

I was lucky- I got to drive my 65 GTO my junior and senior year of high school. My Uncle had passed away and left it to me when I was 15. Better yet, I still have it 23 years later!! Sadly, nobody else cared at the time- i went to a "non-car interest" school I guess. Only other interesting car in the lot was a 69 Camaro

18. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Interesting to hear American Graffitti was close to being preiod correct. Nice story.

19. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

holy hell... my fave thus far... love the 55 chev headlights.. and the striping on the hood is freakin badass!

20. 21tat

21tat

69 chevy van. Mom called it my motel on wheels. She changed the sheets for me on Sunday nights so I could start fresh every week!

21. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

Not me, but I did get to hitch a ride with my cousin. I was in middle school and high school right down the street. I used get up and to leave extra early everyday to get to his house, for a ride in his 396 73 Nova it was red w/ a white hard top and Weld cener lines big and skinnies. I love that car, and it sure beat ridin the bus...

22. farmer_joe620

farmer_joe620

well i didnt have my lisence in high school, but i did help my buddys build alot of rigs that were the hot shit at the high school.

i helped build 2 v8 chevy luvs. one was a 78 longbed with a hot 355/350/s10 rearend truck. and the other was an 81 luv with a 430horse 327.

yeah, a couple high school kids with a homebuilt 430 horse luv!! haha

the 81 luv was the fastest and coolest rig at the high school. it ran 12s at the track and could do cookies forever in the school parkin lot.

the only thing that was even close to the luv was a engine swapped honda crx that only ran 14s.

funny thing is, now both those trucks dont even exsist anymore. haha. the 78 truck was a hackjob, and got parted out, and the 81 gave up its drivetrain to a 53 chevy pickup.

them were the good days tho...

23. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

That's not a school carpark, its a car show! Pheeeewie.

24. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

I am still in high school, and nobody has any cool cars unless you count 4x4's. I drive my 51 chevy pickup sometimes but I am too nervous with all the assholes that go to my school dickin with it and stuff. It has a 355 turbo 350, 9", mustang II, chopped 5", and 34 chevy dash. It is the most bitchin vehicle at my school for sure. Starting this year I will start driving my 65 el camino factory 327 4 speed 12 bolt which is really frickin loud with purple hornies on it.

Attached Files:

25. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

When my dad went to high school he drove a 39 chevy coupe with a 401 nailhead with dual quads, which he then turned into a straight axle cross ram sbc real deal gasser. Also during high school he drove a 39 ford standard coupe with a deluxe nose with a 389 tri power pontiac with a chevy 3 speed, which he traded in the winter for a 60 chevy 2 dr post with a 301 sbc which he put dual quads on. He traded for the 60 because it had a heater.

26. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Sure as hell wasn't me. This was my highschool ride back in '80-81. Coolest thing about that truck was the shaved and filled hood and frenched headlights.
    [​IMG]

27. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, headlights actually done with 1/4" copper tubing and 20 gauge sheet metal with actual lead since there wasn't much Bondo around then.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  28. BC63

BC63

I actually did have the coolest car, but only for 3 weeks. '63 Merc Marauder S55 Convertible. Got my license in October, by November I was riding the bus.

29. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

my sophomore year starts in a week and ill be rolling up in this baby!
    [​IMG]

it has a 144 inline 6 now but winterbreak its getting a 260 and fresh paint! (well hopefully)

30. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I graduated in 1985... there were not alot of cool cars at my school to speak of. There was my flatty powered 1948 Ford Coupe, a 64 Galaxie 4 door sedan, 1966 Ford LTD, a decent 69 GTO convertible, and a really nice weber carbed 72 Pinto. There were your usual Camaros and Novas.... but I never paid much attention to them.