Register now to get rid of these ads!

REO's anyone ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stant52, May 23, 2008.

1. stant52

stant52

Is anyone out there into Reo's ?:confused: A friend has a couple and I told him I'd be curious if there was any information ,access to parts or any other available knowledge on here ?? From what I saw at the showdown you all are pretty diverse !! :D Thanks

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Worked on them in the Army. 331 cubic inch six cylinder Golden Comets. Seemed OK. That was a while back.

3. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Well, for the basics, Ransom Eli Olds sold Oldsmobile to General Motors and was not allowed to use the name Olds or Oldsmobile on a car so he got around that by using his initials, and that's where the name REO comes from. They kinda specialized in trucks, but also built some nice big cars in the 30's, comparable to a Buick or Olds. In the late 30's-late 40's era, they were probably the best truck you could buy, with their Gold and Silver Comet engines.

4. stant52

stant52

Friends is a 4 door sedan,1934

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I am going to the Oldsmobile Homecoming next month in Lansing, Michigan. I do believe there is a REO Museum there. If so, I'll check it out, pick up some info for your pal and pass it on. I'll keep my eyes open specificlly for 1934 Sedan info.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

4 cylinder, big pain to get parts. There is a REO owners club, they are a big help.
    1922 Speedwagon/Boyer fire engine. Sold it in '95

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  7. 48reo

48reo

I am building a 48 speedwagon rod, chopped it 4.5" I know its rough but you can see where Im headed with it.

Attached Files:

8. oldsman71

oldsman71

I learned something again.thanks

9. xl1ken

xl1ken

I am just a passionate photographer of classic cars and definitely no expert. However I have shot a few of these REO's. Here is the latest that was parading into the Muckenthaler Concours d-elegance last Sunday. Did not take note of the year but this appears to be in the late teens or early 20's. Anyone know?

http://www.pbase.com/xl1ken/image/97382464

[​IMG]

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Fellow around here has a 30 something Flying Cloud 4 Door. Flat 6 three on the floor. Not sure of the year but is has wire wheels instead of wood spokes and he said it was the change over years. Nice unrestored car.

Apparently they made small engines and lawnmowers also.

[​IMG]

11. xl1ken

xl1ken

Generally speking I think wooden spoke wheels went out around 1927 or 1928 but again I am no expert.

Ken

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a nice rodded 28 closed cab pickup getting around Vic, older build. Any of you mexicans got a pic?

(Relax, thats what Victorians are called..... I know, I were wun!)

13. They went from the Reo Flying Cloud to the reel Flying Cloud. No BS, I have a Carter Carb spec book and they used the same name on the lawnmowers around 1950-ish.

I kind of want one, I don't know why. Maybe mostly just to mess with people, "hey, check out my Reo Flying Cloud" "WTF is that, it's a lawnmower!"

I'm glad to see someone building one of those trucks, too, I've seen them now and then in the junkyard and have thought one would look good cut down a little and done as a fenderless half-ton pickup.

14. Buildy

Buildy

"Did not take note of the year but this appears to be in the late teens or early 20's. Anyone know?"

I would say that REO is about a 1911- 1912- era....

The straight cowl is the tip off. By 1914 the Reo has a rounded cowl.

15. xl1ken

xl1ken

You are likely right as the car does not have electric lights. Generally speaking electric lights did not appear on cars until 1915 although I did hear of one that had them in 1912.

Ken

16. noboD

noboD

I agree with Buildy, pretty early car. There's a beautiful '24 REO hearse in the AACA museum. Would love a ride in it, just not my last ride.

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Got my eye on this one.

Attached Files:

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. I hate em. Engine's too big, no real sharp lines, not much technical development for the times...

just kidding:D Here's one from March of this year we just finished for good friend. Hope ya like it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

DAAAAAMN!
    That thing makes a 32 Ford look like a pigs ass. What model is that?

20. Buildy

Buildy

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes a Royale. One of the 1st automobile designs tested in a wind tunnel. Also has hydraulic brakes, chassis lubricator, and a big for the time 356cid straight 8. You can feel the power in there. That was a fun resto.

22. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

and a damn fine job at that.

23. I picked this over the winter. For $385 I was told it is a 1960
    I haven't checked numbers yet

24. alsancle

alsancle

The "Royale" was the top of the line REO and considered a "Full Classic" which translates to very expensive.

That silver one is fantastic btw.

25. 2tondave

2tondave
    from Seattle WA

here's the REO Rescue Service truck I recently dragged home ....
    I had it running a few days after purchase, it has about 10,557 miles on the odometer ..<p> now you know why I am called 2tondave .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  26. F&J

F&J

Here's a 1920. Was a 4dr touring with very rare 'california hardtop' conversion when new. Also has optional 'hayes' knockoff wire wheels. It's a BIG car; tires are 35" tall.

[​IMG]

27. Frank

Frank

I've been following your progress on hotrodders.com. What a cool find that is. I really like those rims on there.

28. noboD

noboD

F&J, is that yours, it's gorgeous??!!

29. F&J,

If you ever grow a deep hatred for those wheels, I would be GLAD to remove them from your sight:D:rolleyes:!

30. pro1street

pro1street

Heres one that belongs to a friend of mine.[​IMG]