Register now to get rid of these ads!

getting pissed with Street Rodder magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fenders, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fenders

Fenders

Yah, I subscribed... but some articles rub me the wrong way. Recent letter sent to them...

Nice article on the Femi bandsaw by Jim Rizzo in the October issue, but why don't you guys give a list price in the articles? So I go to the hemsaw website, and those jerks don't give prices... you have to request a quote! WTF? Anyway, glad they gave Jim a free saw so you could tout it in your rag.
    Tom French, Stow Mass.

2. cruzr

cruzr

and the title of the magazine is??

3. Why should the saw people be any different
    than any of the other "tech article" subjects.

Free stuff to magazine types = Ink. :rolleyes:

4. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it. :p

5. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Its better to get pissed off than pissed on..........

6. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

For what its worth i used to work for hem saw,excellent products and cust.service,and i get street rodder and its what it says,street rods but its ok

7. cruzr

cruzr

another quality thread is forming up:D

8. Fenders

Fenders

Ummm. lemme see, might be in the title of this thread...

9. Fenders

Fenders

LOL, I agree, so HE&M SAW can stuff it....

10. Fenders

Fenders

Yyes, it looked like a good product but it pissed me that SR seems to have a policy of not mentioning list prices (Yah, I know street prices are usually less), and that hem saw makes you jump through hoops to find out WTF they want for their products. BeJeezus, look at all the ads in SR, they are not ashamed to tell you what they want for their rod products. Guess I'll stick with Harbor Freight.

No, this is not a quality thread, but maybe in some small way it will contribute to magazines and manufacturers to shaping up and giving us users some useful information.

11. Zoom! over his head by a long shot. Maybe if it was spelled this way: $treet Rodder.. ?

12. ems customer service

ems customer service

looked at hem web site those are expensive saws we just boaught a horz saw from northern tool it is the same as hf but they shipped to us. was about $700 it is a great saw for a verticle saw the cheap 14" or better yet the 18" from grizzley are great saws we beat the shit out of them although the elec motors dont last long

13. TRoadster

TRoadster
    from Georgia

I think Street Rodder has been going down hill for the past few years. My opinion so... Before, I could wait until the next issue arrived. Now, I've let my subscription end because I get only two or three issues a year that I like. I'll stop at the grocery store and pick up a copy if there's anything good inside.

14. striper

striper

I stopped subscribing to R&C in about 2000 after bitching about it from 1998.

It started off so well with Pat Ganahl in the late 80's and then turned to shit. If I never read another tech on fitting a flush mounted gas cap, fitting a Mustang II front clip or wiring a car using a painless wiring kit...it will be way too soon.

Those guys don't care about real tech, it's all about selling their advertisers' products.

The HAMB is my magazine of choice now (and TRJ)

Pete

15. Well d'oh, magazines are a commercial business like any other. Of course they get given stuff for ink. And re. prices, these days things are either expensive or Chinese, whether it's saws or shorts. For years and years and years SR 'tech' stories have been glorified versions of product installation instructions. Nothin' new there. And of course they follow or talk up any trend they can see a $ in. Business.

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Ryan, hasn’t UPS dropped off that street rodder magazine reader detection device to you by now? :rolleyes:

17. If this is all you have to bitch about, you've got it made.

Is your phone broken?

Dumbass rant. :rolleyes:

JH

18. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I'm not here to argue, just to point out that if you buy 3 issues a year at the grocery store it almost adds up to what a yearly subcription is (watch for deals). I really don't think it's as good as it used to be either but there's always something interesting in every issue, even if it's just studying photos of cars and how they look with different parts. Check out Ken Thurm's pickup in this months issue! Besides, I HAVE to continue getting them, I have every issue right from the first! (my wife loves this part)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  19. DrJ

DrJ

When I started buying and reading R & C in '61 (As opposed to just thumbing through the pictures in it at the grocery magazine rack) I was thrilled to learn, over the course of about two years, just about all the how to steps to build a hotrod and customize a car.
    Then they started repeating them in similar steps.
    It seamed every April would be "How to paint your car" month.
    Kinda redundant when it was just the same lacquer you were shown how to spray the year before.
    At least now you get informed what paints been made illegal and what replaced it.

But ya gotta remember, every year there was/is a new bunch of 13 year olds just like me who JUST STARTED reading the latest R & C or SRM for the first time and they needed all those steps too, so repeating the basics is necessary for all the newby's.
    Maybe you don't need to read the same old M-II installation article or how to weld Mercury headlight buckets to your chevy or the trick to frenching lights is to bolt the light busket to the inside of the fender instead of the outside, but someone who just got into the game does.
    And back in '61 there wasn't any "nostalgia" or collectors swap meets or Ebay where a kid could buy last year's issues to catch up on what already got printed.
    If ya missed an issue at the piggly Wigglie you flat missed out!
    I was GLAD they repeated old how-to articles because it was the only way to gain that knowledge
    So if YOU don't need to read another how to do it, then maybe you don't need the magazine any more.
    Ya don't see many married women still buying "Modern Bride" magazines after they got married do ya?
    It's because they don't need them any more.
    Can you imagine someone complaining to "Modern Bride" after they were married that all they did was still keep running features on the latest gowns and how to set the reception tables and want them to print "something different" like how to "change" the husband's habits?
    (Sorry about the reference, I went to a wedding today.)

20. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

oh SHIT! :D

when i was 16 i subscribed to street rodder,,,cuz that is all there was back then
    ....i loved it!

but now,,2008...someone is mad because they didnt check out a magazine that has been around for 35 plus years and doesnt like the content...BOO HOO!!!:(

21. plmczy

plmczy

I believe the reason SR didn't put a price in their articles is that prices always change. later shawn

22. What, shit not again!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.