Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I sell my Hog to finance the hot rod??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stllrng., Aug 7, 2008.

1. Larry T

Larry T

I'd kinda like to see the bike. I've never seen a shovelhead frame that you could put an Evo in (except for the S&S Evo that is specifically designed for the early frames).

Anyway, scooters and hotrods seem to go together. I'd try to figure a way of keeping both, unless I NEVER rode the bike.

Larry T

2. Wesley

Wesley

The only way I can afford to run my car is to use my wide glide as my daily transportation. I will do without alot of things, even eating (I can stand to miss a meal or two) before I get rid of the bike or the roadster.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I just did exactly that. Sold my '61 Panhead dresser, which we'd had for 14 years. I bought the '48 Diamond T one ton pickup I'd been planning in my head for years, the donor '93 Chev van for it, the '62 Chev Impala for my son (he'll pay me back when he sells his '68 Mustang convert) and have enough left over to finish the '36 Fordillac exactly the way I want to.

I don't regret it, although it was a very nice bike. We had a lot of fun on the bike, went places we'd have never gone, and best of all, didn't get hurt on it in all that time, and got my investment back. Better than my 401K... I really the cars better, and I can always get another bike.

Brian

4. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Don't ever sell your motorcycles, guns, or guitars. You will always regret it.

5. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Depending on how flexible and open minded you are, you can sell the HD, and get a cheaper bike to ride. There are those that are HD to the bone, and don't like much else, but an example of fun and cheap is an old Honda CB750, I bought three in the last year, $100 was the most expensive one. Yamaha 650 twins from the '70's are pretty cheap, Kawasaki Vulcans are pretty neat, and sometimes way cheap, some Sportsters are cheap, I recently bought a really nice stroker ironhead for $2,100. I'm not stuck on just one type of car or bike, but some are. But if all this sounds majorly stupid to you, then you have to decide what works for you. I figure for me a bike is better than no bike. In the end, the '32 is much harder to come up with than a mix and match Harley.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Bike? Dont compute.

7. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

Anyone that calls their bike a "hog" shouldn't be allowed to own

8. whid

whid

depends on how attached to the bike you are.sold my ol triumph 20 yrs ago and still kick myself in the ass all the time.i miss it alot.yeah i can get another one but not that one.it might sound stupid to most but somtimes ya miss the wind..............dave

9. when you find the person willing to buy a 77 FLH with an EVO motor , take the money and run ..

10. LabRat

LabRat

Sound advice ...... And never forget , He who dies with the most toys wins !!! :D

11. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

Agreed. You'll make money to build the hot rod and, then, you'll have a bike AND a hot rod. I guess that's easy to say though, if I sold ALL my bikes, I'd have $5k at the most...

12. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Dont sell the bike its not worth shit with the bike market so screwed up . Alll the yuppies buying bikes in the last 5 years, everyone is selling there toys so theres tons out there for next to nothing.

13. shit sel your bike. hell id sell my girlfriend to get a 32 ford

14. belair

belair

It's just a sickle. Sell it.

15. Well, maybe where you come from, but where I come from that's what we call them. But I'll take your opinion for exactly what it is worth...:)

16. You have to modify the frame to make it fit but it isn't that much work.

17. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I like Hot Rods.

18. I guess the first guy that took out a Ford flathead and put in an OHV was an arsehole too....;)

19. Just Jones

Just Jones

No contest - sell the Harley. When the rod is done, buy a Triumph. Then you'll really have it going on.

20. like i said in my first post on this stupid thread , only he can decide what to do.figure out what is more important , and make a plan on how to accomplish it. if anyone has to ask for opinions on decisions like this i feel sorry for you. how do you get through life? how do you decide who to marry , where to live , etc? when you get asked if you want fries with that , do you need help with that too?

sorry to piss on anyones parade...but i have held back too much on here sometimes , now when someone asks for opinions they will get my real opinion

21. Not pissed on at all, I get through life very well, and real opinions are the only kind worth listening to. Oh yes I always get the fries. Good to see people don't sugar coat everything. Keep up the good work!

22. bigken

bigken

That's an ongoing battle I have, too. BUT - still got the scooter. Hate the fact it collects more dust than miles, but everytime I get the itch to sell/trade, I go for a ride until the feeling is gone. Keep it-and work p/t somewhere for the extra coin.
    Later -

23. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

part the bike out on ebay and make more money. it is too much of a mutt to bring any good cash as a whole.

24. Do what you gotta do now to finish the '32. Later, when you gotta have a bike again, (and I bet you will) you'll find the one you really needed all along. Just don't go on the bike board and ask if you should sell the '32 to buy/build it ;D

By the way, my other personality says, "What, sell a perfectly good bike that I love to ride and pisses off half the "hard core" posers at bike night, are you kidding?"

25. Big Tony

Big Tony

I've been having the same dilema for some time now, My 98 Road king was the first brand new harley i've ever had, the others were all used when i got it. I have the 54 , but really want an early 30's sedan. For me hopefully slowly working on it will have to do, because i feel like i would regret it

26. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Sell the bike. You live in Canada and only get to ride less than 1/2 a year already. It's a put together (no negatives here from me for Evos...I still have my fillings). Build the rod. Bank the cash from the bike sale and build as you go. It's always easier to stretch a paycheck when you've got instant reserve inthe bank.

27. mitchell stewart

mitchell stewart
    from toronto On

Sell the bike . In 98 I sold a 74 Norton commando, bought a 55 ford pick up. I had a lot of enjoyment building the truck and driving it. In March of this year I replaced the Norton. Now I enjoy both the truck and the bike.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  28. racer756

racer756

Me too. Especially loud, fast, scary ones.

29. lesabre59

lesabre59

I sold my FXR to finish my first Hot Rod.....never looked back, besides its hard to get road rash from a Hot Rod, just remember with bikes, Theres only two kinds of riders..those that have BEEN DOWN, and those that are GOING DOWN..period

30. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

I sold my bike and finished my chevy, no regrets.

jp