Register now to get rid of these ads!

364 Nailhead Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iamagearheadru, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

What would cause the Engine to sputter and try to stay running after ignition is off and key is out ?

2. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

timming ,tune up ,bad gas, alsow big horse motors and strocker motors do it when they are hot or shut off at top dead center its called dieseling

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  3. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

4. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

sounds like feed back thru your alternator. i had this problem with my car several years ago and i had a bad diode in the alternator. have it checked out

5. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

6. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

I am thinking this is what may have been causing my overheating issue the whole time....Hmmm so to back down the timing is the Distibutor turned clock or counter clock?

7. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

I have a 364 Nailhead in my Buick and I had the same problem. I spent one afternoon with a 1958 Motors Repair Manual timing it and setting the carburetor to the specks in the book. Now the car runs and drives like a dream and does not diesel anymore. So I would suggest you check out your timing.

8. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

anyone know where I could get a 1961 Motor repair manuel? specs and such?

9. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I'll look up the timing for you later on today. TP

10. SpadezTX13

SpadezTX13

You find Motor Manuels on Ebay all the time... I got one for 80 bucks shipped.
    A buddy of mine found one at the used book store once for 10 bucks.... He got lucky the bastard! :D

11. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

TP your up in Conroe also? I am right off 105 near Walden road...you?

12. jdubbya

jdubbya

I had the problem with my 364, and it was due to low octane fuel. Most of those motors are a bit higher compression, and could use the higher octane fuel.

13. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

5 BTDC standard 12 BTDC auto. I live on the poor side of the Woodlands in Oakridge. I had the problem of my nailhead overheating. It was the timing. I re-timed it and problem went away. I bought my Chiltons 54-63 from O'rieley's. I think it was $35.00. Covers everything you want to know about your car. Your welcome to use mine if you need it. I believe the compression is 10:1 on the car. Use the good fuel for sure.TP

14. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Aside from low octaine fuel, one other thing you can look at is the throttle position when the engine shuts off. Many Buicks that I'm familiar with from that era had a solinoid that held the throttle at idel position but when the key was turned off it allowed the throttle to close all the way thus preventing run on or dieseling.

15. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I went up to 89 octane in my nailhead and it stopped the dieseling at shutoff. Give it a try.

16. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Before I pulled it in favor of a 401, I ran 87 octane in my 364 ONCE. Drove me crazy tryin to get it to quit dieseling. Always always ran 89 or higher after that, usually 91-93 octane.

17. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

may have to give the higher fuel a shot...but I think the timing is off also because the Overheating issue is just too much of a coincedence

18. my old 60 did it too. my problem was low octain.

19. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

Hmmmmm ok Guess I will Heed some good advice....and try it......