Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yesse23, Aug 6, 2008.

1. yesse23

yesse23

Hey all, looking at a 64 Fleetline truck with no motor or trany. I want to drop something out of a crate into it that will get up and go, but don't really have the budget to get too high performance. What is the most cost effective way to do this and what should I expect it to cost me (parts and labor)? Any suggestions, I am in Austin, TX.

2. PsychoBandito

PsychoBandito
    from Montreal

Junkyard 305 is probably your best bet if you don't wanna spend much money. They can be had for 100$ easy.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

By a complete, running donor. An old van or pickup, you'll have e'thing you need, can test drive, make sure it shifts OK and doesn't smoke (too much!). Scour the want ads, Craigs list, and trader papers, you outta be able to find a decent running, rusty old truck or van for 500-1000. Sell rind for scrap and get most of your $$ back. Been doing that for years, cheapest, best way to go for a low buck build.

I just bought a '93 Chev conversion van, a nice one, for 800 bucks for it's 350/4L60E for my Diamond T pickup project. A neighbor wants the interior, I can use the wheels and tires (brand new) on another project I have, and the rind, filled with the scrap pile by my shop should be almost two tons at 200$ per ton. Not bad. Plus, I've got the fuel tank, pump, lines, wiring harness, steering, fuel lines, brake lines, a new battery, radiator, cruise, AC compresser, etc etc that I'll for the DT.

With gas prices high, people are dumping these vans, it should be easy to find one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  4. nexxussian

nexxussian

What he said, just make sure you have all the stuff off it you want (ie get your project to drive first) before you haul your donor off, if you can (zoning, other half, neighbors, landlord, any one of these could hurry that proecess along when you don't want to).

5. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Those two northern fellas are right on the money. Donor's the way to go for what you want to do. In alot of cases, depending on what you have and what donor you buy, you can really cut corners and do a body-swap. You'll not only have the newer stronger drivetrain, but a newer frame not to mention alot better brakes and handling (usually). Some opt not to do this as they want the original frame, but it IS an option none the less.
    Or you could just swap out the juicy parts for the old ones.