Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinda O/T Knoxville Iowa this weekend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jusjunk, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Any one going to the Nationals at Knoxville speedway this weekend? Ill be there friday thru sunday as we are gonna take in the USAC race at Iowa Speedway Sunday evening too. [email protected] remove the nospam from my email.
    Dave

2. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

You are going to miss the best races of the week. Tuesday in Oskaloosa the wingless sprints run for $30,000 to win. The Wednesday and Thursday nights at the Nationals are also the best of the 4 nights. This marks my 17th Nationals, the first one I attended was in 1962 (the good old days).

3. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Well I can only do so much and this is the way it worked out... Next year id like to do the whole week but it aint happening this year.. Ill be happy to get in friday and saturday and the USAC on sunday :)
    Dave

4. cptcorn

cptcorn

I'd be there, but I didn't have any decent credentials lined up to shoot... So it's a skip for this year...

Alex
    www.figzphoto.com

5. Rustler

Rustler

I finally went for the first time last August, what a blast! After spending a week there watching the big dogs run on the 1/2 mile, it's sure tough to come home and watch the short tracks again.
    Make sure and go through the Hall of Fame, there's some great history on display.

6. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Did that last year on Wednesday the only day I had at the track and we got rained out so that gave us something to do.. Ill do it again saturday cause my youngest will be with me and he hasnt been there yet... I was amazed to see a pic of a girl on the wall who I know from jackson Michigan that ran there in a car her dad owned..
    Dave

7. Rustler

Rustler

I was supposed to be there for Wednesday nights show but got delayed a day, turns out it did rain like hell. They ran the Wednesday show Saturday morning so I still got to see all 4 nights in 3 days.
    Drove by the new Iowa Speedway, looks like a real nice facility and I'd love to see that USAC race there.

8. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Well im really a big time pavement sprint midget supermod and champ car fan but I also do dirt shows too.. In fact ive done more dirt than pavement this summer. My boy told me in may at the little 500 in anderson indiana that they were running the champ cars sunday at iowa speedway and i just looked at him and he said allright ill get monday off work too....:D:D Were really looking forward to the trip. Ive got a room in Newton and ill have to get one for sunday evening but im pretty sure ive got that covered also..
    Dave

9. cptcorn

cptcorn

Yeah! Cool place... One of my photos are displayed in the "Salute to the Shooters" exhibit... It's the image of Steve Kinser on my website that I donated (1 of 20 photographers displayed)

It's awesome knowing that photo will be displayed randomly throughout the future of the museum... 40 years from now I hope it's still there, and I can be happy I actually contributed something!

10. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

How bout shooting me your web site link.. Ive talked with steve a few times one of the most memorable was at I96 speedway lake odessa michigan after a rain out . we discussed the kings royal and some other things. Years ago while my mother was alive her and my father went to knoxville with a friend and mom got to talk to Steve and thought he was just great and she bought a t shirt and he signed it for my youngest whos name is also Steve. Mom talked about meeting him many times..
    Dave

11. cptcorn

cptcorn

www.figzphoto.com

Here's the image that's part of the exhibit. It's a nice feeling knowing you might have given back something small to racing in general in comparison to all it's provided for you... I'm honored. Everyone should definitely go to the Knoxville Nationals at some point... The racing is unbelievable... the number of fans... everything, it's on a whole other level...
    [​IMG]

12. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Very Nice...
    Dave

13. I attended 14 straight Nationals ('70 - '83) and entered a car in '76 and '78. Then they put those wings on 'em and I never went back.

14. Mudville

Mudville

This is my first time to miss after 15 straight years. Just felt a little burned out after last year. Still a Kinser fan. Great pic of the King! he's old and fat and can still outrun, and mostly out think all the youngsters! Hope you guys enjoy the show. Have stayed with some folks right there in town and it just like a reunion every year!

15. Rustler

Rustler

That is an awesome picture of the King.

16. Say Hi to Bob Trostle for me, he's an old family friend.

17. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

Been going to Knoxville the week after the nsra nationals over 25 years. Both are my favorites of the year. Would love to see Haud win from the c .Hard for guys to race their way to the A from the prelims,but over the years many have put on a thrilling show and came close.

18. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

I'll be there...supposed to be a car show at Devore Motors parking lot Friday at 6 PM.

19. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Hummm friday at 6 and races start at 7:15 being my first time inside the track ill prolly be at my or near my seat early :)... I forgot what seats i have ,,, ill look this evening
    Dave

20. cheezburgers

cheezburgers
    from indiana

sometimes i wonder about USAC what there thinking when they schedule races,,they race in iowa on tuesday (sprint cars)then they go to indiana to begin (midget week) wednnesday ,,,race 2 nights go back to iowa sunday for a 100lapper (silver crown cars) then race part of midget week sunday night back in indiana ...hmmmmm

21. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I think most of the guys that run the crown cars dont run the midget series.. I know the hoffmans run sprint and they have a crown car but i dont know if they are going to be in Iowa with it. I also was thinking its pavement only car but i could be wrong there too. Really im not gonna even try to figure out usacs scheduling and i figure were lucky to be in the area so we can see the crown cars run... Just requires another nights room and monday off work.. :)
    Dave

22. stan292

stan292

Johnny Fast says:"Then they put those wings on 'em and I never went back."

I say: "AMEN brother!!"

True, the wings have great driver safety benefits, but they ruined the racing. Its like watching a train go around the track.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

23. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Sorry but even with the wings the driver still makes the car go round.. I like em either way....
    Dave

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

78 was my first year. Watching, from the top of the barn off turn 4, Paul Pitzers' drive through the alphabet mains, is still a vivid memory.

25. Offy

Offy

I've been going on and off since '79 when I first took my dad. The place was absolutely awesome before they threw the "trainers" on top of 'em. They used to throw 'em into the turns at the flag stand and if you stood up to the fence and didn't get goose bumps watchin' 'em then you didn't have a pulse! I really miss the racing there before the wings as well as my pop, but that place is wicked fast when it's tacky and probably too dangerous even with the Hans etc. They ran a topless show a couple of years but the track was hard and slick and the racing was pretty poor.

26. 34underglas

34underglas

Pick me up a T-shirt.:)

I'll pay for it and shipping:cool:

Don't really matter....Kinzer, Shotz, McCarl, Haud, I'm not too picky.

Thanks 'Lil Buddy!!!

Vance