Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do Some Of Today's kids "Get It"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blown41, Aug 4, 2008.

1. blown41

blown41

Saw these kids checking out this cool Buick. There were tuner cars in the area but this car really had their attention (mine too). Maybe there's hope yet.

[​IMG]

2. blown41

blown41

A couple of more pics of this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

now if we could just get them to pull there pants up lol

4. bizcoupeguy

bizcoupeguy

did that buick have a wing on the back or a coffee can for exhaust? maybe they were high on the pot and were in a magical hotrod land for a while........or maybe there is hope for tomorrows saggy pant wearing idiots

5. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Its obvious look at some ages of members here on the hamb. hell I'm 23, tons of younger people on this board and in or around shows. hot rodding isn't just for old men.

6. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

Hopefully the love of cars can cross all boundries. I know I appreciate alot of cars I see even if they are not my style. I just love to see that people are into the car culture, love that buick!

7. jimmyv

jimmyv

My daughter who is 19 gets it but most of her friends don't.

8. jonnycola

jonnycola

Your pictures dont work.

And I get it.

9. autobilly

autobilly

Funny!
    Fair point, but I think that there's more "old men", especially in the whole hot rod/street rod scene.
    Some "young" guys definately get it though.

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Oh Gawd, here we go again. First 2 replies are about baggy pants and fart can mufflers. Couldn't see that coming.

For the sake of argument, let's just say they'll never get it. The appeal of chrome and horsepower is far too narrow.:rolleyes:

11. Anderson

Anderson

They're probably just thinking how "old school" it looks and how it would be better with some 26"s

12. Serious time.......yes they "get it". But unless we talk to them and help them learn they will ALWAYS be stuck on Imports and Minitrucks! One they realize the effort they put in to later model shit could net them a cool older car they will step across that magic line..............spread the gospell!

13. thechoop

thechoop

I don't know how many times I'm told that I need to put 20s on my Olds. "That would be killer." (BTW, this isn't just from the young kids... I hear it from some old dudes too.) Anyway, I like my black powder-coated 16" Stockton wheels, thank you. The cool part, is they look like 15", but I needed 16" to clear the disks front and rear. Plus, I preferred the Dunlops I got over the everyday BFGs that every other Hawaiian shirt gold-chainer runs.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  14. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

What age are we talking here?? My son is 7 and he know what is cool but then again he has been riding around in our T bucket since 1.5 years old. Last year on vacation we drove it 2,600 miles in eleven days, no top, no radio, open heads and ear plugs and no toys - just the open road and our tent. He rides in the T coupe with a blower 8x2s to the store to get a drink with me, and he held the video camera when I dyno the engine at work. Some Really Do Get It !!

-E.C.

15. oldsman71

oldsman71

we need to be the cool "old guy " from down the street or around the block that inspires them to build hotrods. and shows them they have a place in hear or we will be like the old farts with there steam tractors and stationary motors biching about younger (60 year olds) generation, that dont get what there doing!!!!!!! we need to tolerate a little of there crap, and show them we care. but i wont have a wing or a fart bowl, my pants ony fall down when i forget my belt. cjc

16. Some kid yelled across to me today as I was out in the Pontiac, "Hey, has that got the Flathead straight 8 in it?"

Yes, I replied...then realized he was all of 17...There IS hope

17. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

Some of the younger generation do get it. There are two nineteen year olds that hang around a local shop that don't wear the baggies and do their damndest to soak up this stuff like a sponge and do a damned good job of it. We as old farts need to pass our knowledge on to some of the young guys that have the desire and ability to learn. Maybe they will pass it on to their sons or other younger generations. We can always hope.................pass the knowledge on that we have learned. Yes, I am an old retired fart at 61 years young. I retired at 53 and enjoy every minute of it. As the Beach Boys said FUN, FUN, FUN...........................

18. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

im 19.....work 24-7 building traditional cars.... i got into it myself, no worries theres hope. not old news..

19. a nail gun will do the job..:D

20. P-townkustoms

P-townkustoms
    from P-Town CA

Some do get it, but they need to do there homework , Please don't mess up another Modle A by RAT RODDING it!

21. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

I bought my lincoln at 20. Parents never had old cars (my dad drives a Scion).

I just picked it up i guess.

Oh, and 20 was in 2006

22. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

I wear my pants at bellybutton level and I get it. Best of both worlds.

23. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

my 6 year old son "gets it" and so does my 13 year old daughter.
    they know what's cool and what sucks.
    both of them hate tuner cars, and neither of them wear saggy ass pants !!
    when i see a kid wearing his pants around his knees, i just want to go over and yank them down. i hate that shit.

24. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Hell everyone here knows i get it. Im 16 and building my caddy. Will never own a damn tuner i hate them. But as long as whoever drives them and they like them, then more power to them. To eachs own.

25. roddinron

roddinron

Many of them get it, my 2 (26 and 23) get it, because they were raised around it as a FAMILY hobby. Way too many kids today never do anything with their family. I'm not surprised they're a bunch of wise ass punks, the younger generation is only the product of the priority's of the society they were raised in.
    Besides, most people would never attempt to use a 60 year old car as a daily driver (especially in the rust belt), which means you have to own 2 cars. Most kids can't afford that, not to mention the gas an old car uses. Tuners just fit their budget, at least they're into cars.
    Funny story though, once when we were putting a motor in my daughters camaro, her boyfriend was "helping" he was into tuners. The motor was hanging on the cherry picker when he looked up and just stared in amazement then pointed and asked "is that a fuel pump?" I said yes, and he kept staring at it then said "wow, is it mechanical?" I said yes, and he just kept staring and then said to himself "wow, a mechanical fuel pump, that's really weird."
    Talk about a generation gap.

26. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Im not sure if I get it, can someone help me figure out if i get it?

27. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

My nephews get it bigtime. When the oldest got out of the Navy, first thing he did was buy a '68 Charger to rebuild. (yes, I know - not HAMB material, but it's a start).

Several of my Stude club members have kids & grandkids who get it - they want Studebakers for high school cars.

One of my best friends has a '55 TBird and a '56 Crown Vic. His 3 boys get it - the oldest built a '57 Chevy 4 door, the middle one built a '65 Chevelle, and the youngest built a '64 Tempest into a GTO. They did all the mechanical and body work, and installed the interiors after their uncle sewed them up.

Here in Wichita, at least - enough of the youngsters get it to keep it going when we're gone.

28. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

I'm 23 and get it have had my coupe since 20 and work at a rod shop also have friends who get it too. But my favorite is my friend Khoa a 22 yr old korean with his turbo mustang yes a 22 year old asian with a turbo'ed rwd american car that'll run 10's easy! Its great watching him tell people what he drives.

29. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

You know what is REALLY funny? Depending on the thread/topic, even chrome and horsepower isn't traditional. That's how fucked up we, as a community, have become.