Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 28 modified build downunder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by striper, Jul 29, 2008.

1. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Wow - amazing thread. Thanks for the inspiration.

- Joe

2. Nice metal work. Keep up the momentum !

3. The 4.11s might be alright depending on your tyre diameter. How tall a tyre are you planning to run on the rear?

4. striper

striper

7.00 x 16. I worked out at 60mph I'll be doing 2800 Rpm.

5. Hey Pete I welded my brackets to the bottom of my tank then used the straps over the top of the tank. .....Looks like they are holding the tank on but they are doing nothing.

I would drive with 4:11s, 2800rpm is not that bad, i've had cars that were worse than that.

6. Chris5.7ltr

Chris5.7ltr

Awesome thread and great build up, this is what I love seeing.

Congrats to you striper, keep the updates coming.

7. sodas38

sodas38

This build is cool in any country. Your a hell of an engineer and fabricator and I bet having to have a State engineer come out and look every time you change something drives you nuts. Keep it moving along love all the pictures too!! Can't wait to see it rolling. :)

8. That's about the same as my car. It's not too bad, but I wish it was a bit higher geared for longer road trips.

You could always send an arm and a leg to Gear Vendors and get an overdrive on each gear. :)

9. Yes, but it will be zippy! And it's a hot rod after all.

10. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

nice fab work!

11. striper

striper

I don't think I'd have room for it if I wanted one. Who needs OD on each gear. With the torque of my nailhead and 4.11 gears I'm not even going to bother changing gears. I'll just set off in 4th and leave it there :eek:

I do have room for a big chunk of aluminium hanging out the back though!

Yes, zippy is good. Trouble is where I live, almost everywhere is a highway drive away.

brEad likes this.
  12. striper

striper

Thanks, you other guys, for the encouraging words. It's getting me moving a bit actually, knowing people are watching.

Pete

Binga,

I like the fuel tank bracket idea. I made the brackets as a bolt on for no particular reason than it looked good. I might go with your suggestion because it's really no extra work for me.

Pete

13. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

4.11s + a built nailhead = lots of tire smoke

I'm running 3.89s behind my 401 and even with Radir slicks the back tires spin hard in 1st.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

14. Bert

Bert

Hey Pete, I got my tank about 5 years ago with a few bits and pieces from a guy in lakes entrance...exactly the same as yours....... I found when mocking my project up, that looking at the side view of the project, the tank top curvature flows and resembles, slightly, the lines of a roadster rear and looks like its made for it...I mocked mine up with the tank slightly lower though........anyway, great job.......Im only across the hills from ya and got to get around to that visit I said a long while ago............

You dont see them too often, wasnt me at the swap though........Ill keep an eye out.
    As far as getting a container....well, A mate says hes bringing back 2 mustangs:confused:...he has to organise it though, first time for him, but he has his heart set on doing it.....It would be good though...we could fill er up with goodies....you want something bought over?\.cheers.Bert

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  15. striper

striper

Lucky mine is just a stocker with 3 x 2s. I don't want too much tyre smoke. Remember, it's just a banjo.

Lower would be better. Remember back near the start I said I would have liked an 8" Z rather than my 10" Z. That's why. I can't get the tank any lower.

Pete

16. striper

striper

Had a fairly unproductive appearing day in the shed today. Sandblasting and painting small parts. You don't appear to get much done. I wanted to see some progress so I assembled my clutch cable / linkage / M.C.

[​IMG]

I think I mentioned that I mounted the M.C. remotely. It's on the left rail. I ran a cable to it. The cable runs alongside the sump and around the front. Not quite trad but it works nicely

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. striper

striper

I need to find a steel reservoir for it

18. striper

striper

I tried some safety wiring last night too. I know some of you aircraft guys will shoot me down (pun intended) but I like how it looks even if it's not strictly necessary. If I don't like it in the final build, It's only a pair of side cutters and a couple of minutes work to lose it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Well, stock nailheads are no slouch.....445 ft/lbs at 2,800 rpm is some serious twist.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

20. Striper I understand why you did the clutch MC that way, I've been thinking though similar things but... your thoughts on why you didn't just go with a cable operated clutch? After all, plenty of OEMs have.

Americans may not appreciate that with right hand drive, EVERYTHING ends up on the drivers side, including starter motors, steering, brakes, you name it and it can get pretty cramped. Then you need to run exhaust through it. We then look jealously at the pass side which has NOTHING there. Except the cluch release in manual cars like Stripers, which is why he would have wanted to get the clutch MC over there.

21. striper

striper

I didn't go with a cable operated clutch because, if you look closely, you'll see a body mount just behind the MC. That is the precise position that the clutch fork should be. I agonised over that body mount for a fair while until I came up with this idea. There just wasn't a better place for the body mount. So I have a Howe hydraulic throw out bearing actuated by this MC.

I've actually been fairly lucky with space in my engine bay. The starter is on the left so it's out of the way, I have cowl steering so no box or shafts to deal with. When it came to building my headers I didn't have too much trouble finding space for my returns for the main exhaust system.

I do look enviously at my mate, Martin's car. He ran a direct shaft from his clutch pedal to the clutch fork. So simple. It's LHD.

Pete

22. Hey, don't make it sound too easy! Ok, that makes sense. Nice job.

23. LabRat

LabRat

Very thorough and informative thread ... Thankyou !

24. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Just Wow!

I was impressed with the way you turned an intrepid Z into art, but it is absolutely humbling to see someone impress Kiwi Kev!

25. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

Fantastic thread. Keep it going

26. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

+1.....best thread going right now on the forum. Can't wait to see the car when it's finished.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

27. flatoz

flatoz

Pete,

you can get better gears for the diff, but why not just try what you have now and put your $$ into the build, if when its on the road you decide that you want 3.54 then you can go that way then, could be a good project for next winter maybe?

great to see you coming along, I was asking martin last time I saw him how you were going.

so the picnic this year???

28. striper

striper

Correct on all counts, Cory

I'm trying the 4.11s at least for this summer. Maybe a change after that. And yes, the picnic is the target, barring any unforseen holdups, like my motor not running or something like that.

Martin hasn't seen it for a while. He's coming up next week.

Pete

29. Hey Pete,
    truly inspiring work, it is really taking on its own personality now, which is impressive.
    love every bit.
    Cheers
    Kyle

30. littleratracing

littleratracing

:cool: This is just fantastic, going to have to take mine apart this winter and re-do everything. Keep it up can't wait to see it finished