Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT/ US trip from Oz......local bands/booze?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bert, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Bert

Bert

ahh man....this is gold, you guys have all the shit.....How am I gonna leave with all these events going on?...I see all these awsome events in rod mags over here..they look huge.....I appreciate your generousity fellas, if you come over our way, yell out!
    tred, msg sent bud.....nothing like a good junkyard scrounge and yes, whats an outback?

2. Bert, it's a little early for most music to be booked. Bring this to the top when it's a bit closer to the dates. What kind of music do you and your mates like?

3. tred

tred

it's a chain restaurant filled with crappy steaks and fried onion treats and overpriced beer. it has "genuine" australian decorations inside but still feels crappy and american.
    americans love that shit!

4. Bert

Bert

Most places seem to be a month only ahead, so I might just do that thanks.....I found STP are playin down in mexico...too far, and taj mahal is at that house of blues, but again, just miss out by a few days.....anything from early blues to power blues/ surf/ rock & roll/ psychobilly / grunge/swing bigband/ anything .... the lords of Altamont to jimmy vaughan.....Im easy......cheers, better get to bed, thanks again fellas..............................................Bert

5. tred

tred

oh, i'll find ya some of that. as long as you don't mind dark, smelly bars with sticky floors and skanky girls... :D

6. Kiwidave

Kiwidave

When in Bakersfield check out Kiwi Konnection, they have drink night every thrusday, great night, another shop to check out is Wire Works, great place and another is Dave's Rod Shop. We had a great time at all the shops on our big trip last year.

7. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

out back is a kinda cheesy, australian themed, chain of steakhouses.the foods not great, but it aint bad either it may be good for a laugh. it aolso may be the only resturaunt where youll find australian beers(other than fosters, we sell that everywhere)

8. Don't forget about the show at Gene Winfields shop on Oct 19th. You could hit that after Pomona. its from 11am-7pm, in Mojave. Less than 1 1/2 Hours from the swapmeet.

Then you could eat at the Outback Steakhouse in Palmdale ;)

9. Photofink I'm used to driving in Sydney, it's a daily take no prisoners grand prix. If it's not gridlocked. I've driven in Orange County and believe me, it ain't that bad!

Restaurants "themed" to any country are universally a sad joke. We have a Lonestar Steakhouse chain, which I've never been to for obvious reasons. I guess they sell steak and the usual with American and local beer.

10. Bert

Bert

We arrive on a friday in bakersfield and will be in Vegas on the following thursday, bummer...but we will try and see if we can visit kiwi konnection /wireworks/daves rod shop...didnt know about the show at gene Winfields shop !! sounds like a possibility, that would be a real treat indeed..cheers for that.....the swap probably slows down around lunchtime, yes?so we could go over for the arvo............I think a visit to an outback restaurant with a full video report on the food will be in store...just for laughs..........bert

11. Catch up with me, Bert, and I'll take ya to the Abbey in Seal Beach for good beer. The cute waitress loves to hear you Aussies talk. Ask Tony (X38)...

12. That would be Allison, Phil. Some brain cells still workin'.

13. Bert

Bert

cute waitress?...Beer?......well if I have too:rolleyes:...I can call localy when we get there. I will chase up your number soon Phil thanks, and I appreciate all you guys fo your info .....cheers........Bert

14. 55olds88

55olds88

Hey Bert,
    Will be up at Bako for the drags myself (with family in tow) imagine there should be drinks at Kiwi Konnection on Sat night too, will be a heap of Kiwi's up there by the sounds so ya better get your sheep jokes ready.
    Watch the quiet intersections they are the worst, kuinda easy to pull into the wrong lane, that and doin U turns have given me trouble.
    Drop me a PM re Bako, might be able to hook up somewhere.

15. FuelFC

FuelFC

Damn who is going to be left down under? With this salt build deal and this trip...hey are you folks up to something? Invasion perhaps?

If so on the shhhhh invasion please bring me the one lone little redhead waitress from the restuarant at the BW Hotel in downtwn Middleton if she is still there please. And I will pretend nothing is happening and look the other way.

Hell I would let you pee on the dog sleeping on the couch for that!

16. Bert

Bert

OK, We are taking a laptop and need to sort out our online issue when we get there......I might yell out for some fone numbers before we leave...and the Kiwi Konnection is a pub?....or a shop? or a specific semi trailer ramp for loading sheep?..ahahhahaa....sorry about that chief...actually I better leave the sheep stuff alone for now, sounds like there will be plenty more of you guys....thanks for the invite, and drivin tips, will definetly catch up........invasion?...man, your NewYork police force is larger than our WHOLE armed forces combined ha.....true!....but with the dollar where it is, Id say there will be a few of us around.....we seem to be stealing your rides....you should see the growing amount of left hook american iron on our roads over here...and we dont have to convert the steering over either....yell out if anyone knows of any early mustangs..I said Id put out the word for my mate who is coming over with us..thanks again fellas........cheers, Bert

17. 55olds88

55olds88

Bert Kiwi Konnection is a rod shop, looks a little like a pub at times but its a rod shop.....

18. Kiwidave

Kiwidave

A good rod shop but be prepare for a big night for the pub bit, those dam ex kiwi's can drink.

19. Bert

Bert

.....cheers

20. Bert

Bert

BTTT..........leaving for the airport in about 4 hrs...then on the plane for 20hrs...then its party time:D...............Bert

21. PM me Bert and I'll shoot ya my number...

22. repoman

repoman

Don't miss the Peterson museum in LA!

23. Bert

Bert

bloody hell fellas, its came and gone...I didnt access the net so couldnt contact and catch up whilst over there, my apologies.......but I had an unbelievable time...all squashed into 11 days,drinkin sessions at the kiwi connection{thanks duane} and squeaks shop, bakersfield hotrod reunion,I met George barris, Gene winfield,the burbank choppers,so cal workshop tour, moon, hollywood, whiskey a go go, pomona swap, NRHA museum, vegas, even the ghost tour around vegas was cool..., booze, hired a plastic mustang convertable...and flogged its ass.Hoover dam, carruthers guitars, great weather, great people......Im back home now, but have this feeling like I should still be there:confused:.....Ive got stacks of pics and video that needs sortin and will post when done....you guys have a great country and Ill be back:)......we dont have that certain freedom you guys have...if you have been there, you will know what I mean....the goverment try and control us too much over here with its bullshit tightass laws.....ooo did I say that?...........I like the US of A and again Im sorry for not contacting some of you guys, chili phil, tredboy.....it went so fast, it was a blurrr........stay tuned for pics, cheers, Bert

24. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Driving tips...the turn signal is on the left...Its not like folks in Cali actually use it BUT if you do and your instinct kicks in you'll have an awefull clean winshield...

I dunno how motorcycles drive in Oz BUT in Cali...they can ride/pass in center lane...yeah it pisses me off too..I dont get it, but I'm from New Mexico....whatever.

California Highway patrol: I got pulled over 3 times in 30 minutes....and I'm a cop by trade...talked with one of the local police....even they hate em...watch out for those guys...they're dicks.

Dont try and shift with your left hand...you'll open the door....not a huge deal unless you decline the rental car insurance...

OH and the golden rule of rental cars...try all the cool stuff you can (reverse high speed sliding K turns) all you want...my goal was to take my POS rental back with no tread...I succeded. But beware....see item 3.

One final word...Dont bring up Prop 8....lotsa folks are pissed about it not passing...whatever...I accidently ran over a prop 8 sign...(see item 5) and almost started a riot...I flippantly mentioned I was driving a rental...even they understood.

EDIT: sheesh I should read through a thread all the way through I guess....to little too late!

25. Bert

Bert

thats cool salty....our van did get pulled over by the police at 3am driving around lost...she was blonde and hot, torch in hand..lookin at us through the windows like we were circus animals, we tryed to behave but couldnt help ourselves ....Im sure she could hear how we all felt about her...hahaa and she got a little shy and let us go ..it was classic....the driver was sober though so all was ok......I nearly got killed just outside the airport when i got there...as a pedestrian.....habit of lookin the other way...........driving was ok, we got the hang of it.........lol..cheers, Bert

26. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

LA weekly will tell you all the bands in LA every night.

27. Bert

Bert

Thanks mrrich, that will come in handy for next time......this is an old thread that I just followed up on. Cheers, Bert