Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hurst shifters of the 60s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Impaler, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Impaler

Impaler
    from florida

I recently purchased an old Hurst 4spd shifter. It has a short shifter lever with a shorter lever that has two holes in it. It looks like you put your index and middle fingers in the holes and pull upwards. It has a seperate lever with a small size black ball on it. For reverse? Is this an inline hurst shifter of the 60s and 70s any one know? I had a Mr Gasket inline 4spd shifter in a 68 Cornet 440 in 1973. :confused:

2. I think you are talking about a Hurst Ramrod shifter that came out in the early 70's. Had a few of those way back when.

Max

3. impaler,
    sounds like an old vertical gate straight line shifter to me.
    Al.

4. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a V-gate. Pics?

5. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I can't think of the name they called it, but it is a "Reverse Lockout", and I think it was called the RamRod..........................I'm not sure but I thought it still had the H pattern, not inline.....................................but I could be wrong since that was some 40+ years ago. But the black knob is for reverse............grab the black knob with you first and middle finger and pull up. Ihad one on my M22 in my 48 Chevy. I think I bought it in 67/68.

Attached Files:

6. Vertical gate, you shift it like a Lenco. Pullup on the chrome 2 hole lever as you push forward, thats first. Second is straight back, third is down and forward. Fourth is straight back. If you are racing, you put it in first, and let go of the 2 hole lever. When you power shift, it goes into the proper gear by itself.

The most fun is doing a three point turn on the street withit. Gets a little nuts. Those are ass-kicking shifters once you get the hang of it.-MIKE:cool:

7. Impaler

Impaler
    from florida

Thanks for the info. I knew i was not making a mistake buying this shifter, looks almost new, all linkage rods, rubber boot/with chrome trim ror boot, and Hurst T handle. paid $70 for the whole shootin match. Anyone remember the T handle that was coated with felt? At least that's what it felt like. Made by Hurst

8. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Speaking of Hurst, has anyone bought one of late? They're still a good shifter, but no where near as smooth as those from the 60s and 70s.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

9. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

Ive got just a Hurst handle , mount and bar that says"Hurst" on it, no linkages, its sitting on my shop , and i have absolutely no use for it.

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

It's the same shifter as the old Mr. Gasket inline shifter......which was released @ 1967/8.
    I have the Hotrod magazine with the article showing the "All NEW" Mr. G shifter, and diagrams on how it works.

11. Impaler

Impaler
    from florida

Like i stated. Had Mr Gasket inline in my 68 Dodge Cornet in 74. Took the (stock shifter where you had to have a map to find the gears one) out. Worked great from what i remember or don't remember.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  12. Impaler

Impaler
    from florida

Hold up your wagons on parting with that shifter lever. I have used them by mounting them via the two holes at the bottom of the lever to the top of dashboards to mount my Tachometer on. They have the correct angle already curved that works great after you cut the threaded end off. It helps to have the glass out to mount it though.

Can you tell i'm mentally challenged?:D

13. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

wish id'a thought of that.

THANKS!.

14. Impaler

Impaler
    from florida

Do you mean you are going to hang on to it? :D

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

My slick-shift Hemi 4spd trans came with a Mr. Gasket vertical gate shifter. After 12 years of storage, moving from Michigan to Florida to Georgia, and poor storage practices, it was looking more like scrap than a shifter.
    Hurst will rebuild shifters for $100, including the vertical gate. I was amazed...they put a new Hurst stick on it and t-handle (had a Mr. Gasket and NOS button handle...they returned them with it), the rod for the finger rings was bent--they replaced it, the rings look like they were rechromed so I'm guessing they replaced them as well. It was missing a rod, they replaced it, and rebuilt the mechanism.

They rebuilt the rare shifter for my A833 Chevy truck 4spd as well for $100. I can't recommend their rebuild service enough.

-Brad

16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I still have the one from my first hot rod..

was hard to get used to,
    for me anyway

a few missed shifts and I replaced it with the Super Shifter.

Vertical gate in front, super behind..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  17. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

yup...

my cars are a mishmash of mine and everyone else's ideas... one more will only help. hahahah.

18. Still using this one after 30 years......picked up for $50 in 78 from a drag racer that kept breaking trannies and went to an auto......been a great shifter even if does have a little rattle in her.

Attached Files:

19. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Hurst is now part of B&M Automotive Products

20. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

The original company was called Hurst-Campbell, which was co-founded by George Hurst in 1958 to make Hurst shifters and other aftermarket high-performance car parts. By the late 1960s, Hurst transmission shifters and other products became legendary in auto racing, particularly in drag racing and among custom car makers. For example, many automobile enthusiasts replaced flimsy factory shifters with Hurst shifters to get better control of gear selection, particularly for competitive driving. The Hurst units were so good that U.S. automakers were forced to offer it, although they preferred making their own parts.

Hurst Performance Inc. of Warminster, Pennsylvania, manufactured products for enhancing the performance of muscle cars. These included manual transmission shifters and other automobile components. Hurst was also an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) supplier for automakers and provided services or components for numerous muscle car models by American Motors (AMC), Ford, Chrysler, and General Motors. Their products were included in the AMC Machine, AMC AMX, Pontiac GTO, Ford Mustang Boss, Plymouth Barracuda, Plymouth Superbird, and Oldsmobile. Many renowned specialty models were produced in cooperation with the company and sported the Hurst brand as part of the official name. These included the AMC SC/Rambler, Jeep Jeepster, and various Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds models, based on the Oldsmobile Cutlass.

The company was bought out by Sunbeam Products in the early 1970s and later became part of the Mr. Gasket Company.

21. Muttley

Muttley

I have a brand new Competition Plus in my Comet, it rules.

22. and dont for get the jaws of life, I think he would like to be rememberd for the inventing a tool that to this days saves.

23. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

i've got an old original Hurst comp plus on my muncie. The stick doesn't unbolt with the two vertical bolts like the all the other ones ive seen, my friend keeps telling me to buy a new one because when you drop the tranny you cant take the stick off from the top, so you have to take off the whole shifter from the side of the trans which is kind of a bitch when its in the car. But it's real vintage shit and works better then his brand new one so I LOVE it:D\
    PS: metal bushings are the only way to fly:p