Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinda O/T Snakes in the garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53choptop, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Bad memories on this one...a little over a year ago my 2 year old daughter, at the time, was bit by a baby rattler and required 27 vials of anti-venom and had to be lifeflighted to Children's hospital here in San Diego...luckily she is fine but what a scare...clear the property and put down snake repellant which appears to be ground up moth balls...even the lizards don't like it

2. I have the Judge, but my North American Firearms .22 Mag with snake shot takes care of Satan's Acolytes....the harmless ones get a pass. So far this year, only shot one snake, although the brown lab that gets into my swimming pool is about four grams heavier in the ass end.

3. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

man what a bunch of pansies you guys are. i grew up playing with snakes, venemous and not. the trick is proper education and parenting. my parents watched while i was young and then taught me how to deal properly when i was a little older (3ish.) grew up between the montana wilderness and the indiana backcountry with yearly trips to florida.

you guys killing them...not cool. relocate or have someone actually posessing testicles and a logic center in their brain do it for you.

4. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Yeah, but when I was 5 we were walking through some wooded area on my aunts farm. I was out ahead of dad and playing with my aunt's English Springer. When suddenly before me coiled and ready to strike an Eastern rattler. Fortunately for my ass, that springer loved me literally snatched that snake on the strike and thrashed its head clean of its body. To this day I can't stand the sight of a snake. Oh and then a few monthes after that, while visiting my Uncle in Phoenix I'm walking down the street going to my Uncles 711 when I look over and spy what else - AN F'ING COBRA. Yeah the guy down the street had a pet and trained cobra (yes a cobra CAN be trained like a dog), and it got out. Was sitting up just observingt its surroundings - no hood. Of course until I yelled like hell and then he hooded real quick. I ran the 3 blocks to my uncles store in land speed time.

And those are absolutely true stories. Education nothing. I am freaking intrigued by cobras and some snakes now, and learn about them. And still upon sight get a little tingle in my bladder.

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I met this little guy this week when I was dragging the old econoline drag truck home. The fella that I got it from is in his 80's and not in good health. I was walking back to the truck and he tells me to stop. I almost didn't hear him but I stopped and looked down. I was standing ON this snake. I literally stepped on him just behind his head. He had his head up trying to bite my foot but couldn't reach me because of where I was standing on him. I don't know my snakes very well to know whether or not the snake was poisonous and it didn't appear to speak any English (I did ask). I also know that I'm too fat and slow to step off and run. I was pretty sure he could (and would want to) bite me at that point. I just kind of stayed put for a minute and asked the old man if he had any good ideas.

He replied that he had been thinking about repainting his barn lately, but that wasn't really what I meant.

He did go into the barn though and return with a nice big rusty axe and told me to "hold real still". The head of the snake was only protruding from the bottom of my shoe by maybe three inches and I was more than a bit leery about an 80-something year man with Parkinsons swinging an axe at my feet (although it might have solved my problem about never being able to find matching socks). So I asked him for the axe.

I decided that I didn't even trust me to swing an axe that close to my feet. I am not willing to risk amputation for very many things. But I have broken my feet and toes several times so I wasn't scared of doing that again. According, I turned the axe around and beat the little fella to death with the back side of the axe. Then I cut his head off (or "chopped the top" as you traditional guys like to call it) . He continued to move for several minutes but I crushed his head on the first blow so I think it was a quick passing followed by several minutes of involuntary bodily movements. Speaking of involuntary bodily movements, I think I may have shat myself during this whole process and was glad that the snakes immediate death spared him from the shame of having a turd fall out of my pantleg onto his head. No need to have that be the last thing he experienced in the world.

Oh hey, a snake goes into a bar and asks for a beer, and the bartender says, "I'm sorry I can't serve anyone who can't hold their liquor."

Attached Files:

6. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

looks like a plain ole black rat snake to me. totally nonpoisonous and actually make good pets, just don't handle them after you handle rodents (hamsters)...ask my lil sis about that one;) if that happens again, just reach down and grap the non-business end and fling it away as you step off if you can't move fast enough or get the head immobilized with something other than your foot :p

7. senior fried

senior fried

Ignorance runs rampant when it comes to snakes , this thread proves that ! Ignorance in general !

8. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

There are only three things on this Earth that I am afraid of: Snakes, Heights, and Sarah Jessica Parker (spend a Christmas break with your menopausal Aunt, who has one television set which is hooked up solely to a DVD player and the only DVD's in the house are the Sex in the City seasons. I lasted 5 hours and was then found in the garage attempting lobotomize myself with a drill press).

My fear of snakes is almost debilitating (I've cringed a couple of times while reading this). I avoid high grass like the black plague and whenever I waterski, I constantly scan the water for Moccassins. When I was a kid, I saw my grandfather go after a Moccassin that took to nesting beneath his dock with a 1" galvanized pipe. It took him about 20 minutes, but he finally decapitated it. The bloody thing twitched for 4 hours.

There is an Army surplus store in Galveston (Colonel Bubbies) that imports military surplus from foreign countries and there are pictures hanging up by the checkout of cobras and various other nasty critters that his army of cats have killed. It's rather impressive, but I watch where I step when in there.

You can call me a pussy, but if I found a snake in my house, it is pretty likely that I would be staying at a friends and my house would be on the market.

John

9. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I actually don't mind snakes. I don't like them but I appreciate their purpose in the world. If I walk into someones house and they have a boa constrictor or a python or something, I'm okay with that. I don't wanna cuddle with it or anything but I'm cool with it. Same goes for cats. I like them fine but I'm allergic to them. No cuddling.

The education issue is entirely correct. If I'd have known that that snake couldn't hurt me, he'd still be slithering around today. But I didn't know. When it comes down to gambling on things like me getting hurt versus something else getting hurt...I am typically going to strike first and apologize later. My neighbor has a real cougar as a pet. I'm cool with that. But if I was in the backyard and he came creepin in, I'd likely poke a few holes in him with bullets. I just don't know and I don't take chances with that stuff. Same goes for people. If Robert Downey Jr. wandered into my house by accident in the middle of the night like he did in California, he'd have some peep holes in him. If you don't know, it's okay to be scared. It's not cool but it's better than dying.

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Mine weighs 27 lbs.

11. bonesy

bonesy

I would move.

12. 53choptop

53choptop

Well to add to the wonderfulness of the situation, yesterday I go to the farthest part of my backyard (we have several trees back there) no brush, its pretty clean and low and behold I see 2 snake skins, by the looks of them, these are full grown, don't kow what kinf, dont really care, so now apprehension is turned up a notch actually several, beyond the fence there is a whole bunch of undisturbed brush. So I am sure there is something out there.

its funny how we take these things for granted, my shed is way back there and i have gone in it, poking around without a care in the world, not realizing that one of these suckers could have been there and i'd never even know.

Can't get this picture out of my head......

Attached Files:

13. awsum55

awsum55
    from Kansas

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Where the HELL is THAT?

15. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

IF there's 1 thing I hate as much as spiders...it's snakes. I have a trembling fear of them and just the thought of a snake or spider leaves me unable to sleep at night. I spray "Bug Stop" inside & outside of my shop/apartment weekly. It has taken care of the spiders and misc bugs. I have not yet seen a snake here, but as a precaution I sprinkle moth balls and lime powder around my shop. Another guy down the way lives in his shop and has found some snake skins in his. I told him what I do, and he hasn't seen any recently. I also have A LOT of guns, so that should take care of any intruders, be them human, reptilian or arachnid. Good luck.

16. You missed your calling - comedy writing

17. svo

svo

18. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

your name says hardcore but this post doesn't ;)

19. #1 It does not do any good to relocate rattlesnakes as they are territorial and will return. #2 Yes the smaller ones are more deadly and do not have much of a rattle sound, bad combination. #3 We have shot 2 rattlesnakes so far this year on our property. A .22 with snakeshot does the job just fine - although the 12 gauge makes the head disappear into thin air.:eek: #4 All other snakes are welcome here such as black snakes and bull snakes.:D

20. Flathead Phil

Flathead Phil
    from Australia

Out of the five most venomous snakes in the world we have three of them right here in in our town. You will be amazed how small a gap a shake will crawl through and how small they can crawl up. Usually when a dog finds a venomous snake and gets to close he's gunna die or be a sick one for a long time. Cats are good at letting you know of whats around. The only good snake is a dead one. My neighbour has birds and they attract mice and snakes love mice. If I tell my neighbour to get rid of the birds hes going to tell me to stop lighting up my flatmotors. So I lay bait and am real carefull where I put my hands in the garage. Keep a long handle shovel handy and be quick with it or you will be in trouble. Always remember these suckers have been on the planet a lot longer than us

21. walpolla

walpolla

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats a big sucker.
    Back in about 97 I was on exercise up north. We were doing night parachute insertions out in the Tanami desert. On the way out the driver of my vehicle stopped for a dead snake layed out on the road. Big King Brown, had to be all of 3 meters long! He walked up to it (Wanted the skin) only to learn that is was alive and well. It chased him back to the vehicle, tough SASR Trooper almost wet himself!
    Also ran into what could be one of the biggest Fierce snakes in my pit one night on another Ex, I swear it was all the length of that King Brown. They also happen to be the worlds most venomous snake, now that worried me as I almost landed on it. Damn did I get out of that pit in a hurry!
    Doc.

23. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

Thanks guys,I pissed myself laughing,especially uncle scooby!Listen,be careful,in NY the park rangers will arrest you for harrassing rattlers,they're protected.I found two in an old outboard engine,hooked a chain aroud it and dragged it down the road.I didnt need ANYTHING from that engine!

24. Can't hardly believe that with 3 rots you'd need to take many more safety procedures. would think that a house with 3 loose rots would be "burglar Hell".

25. CRAP!!!!!!! Let me guess - I bet it's not even full grown yet?

26. 53choptop

53choptop

6 pages!!!! WOW.

From what I read it was here in Texas, a construction crew was replacing a sewer line and this is what they found.... the story is online somewhere

its called being paranoid, we have had our string of burglaries, when we use to live in the not so desirable part of Austin, we had our 79 vette stolen, my 53 F100 broken into and our apartment burglarized also, when we bought a house in a better part of town, had our truck broken into, our neighbors 2 doors down were raided for being a drug house (and this was a brand new neighborhood) this last house were at, basically a small fort (the advantages of being a realtor) all we need are moats with alligators, but the city frowns on that….:D

Thank you already ordered one....

That's a hard way to live, almost like living knowing there is a real "cucui"

27. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

So snakemaster
    Possibly you could now enlighten all of us ignorant in general people?

28. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

sir.

ive lived from arizona (born there) to texas to mississippi.

i have eaten more snakes than you have handled.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK, So you've killed more snakes than all of us, THANKS!:rolleyes:

30. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

That THING across the road must be where the got the idea for the movie TREMOURS.
    I hate snakes. There was one in my garage I bashed the hell out its head till it was applesauce, I just kept beating the hell out of it with the shovel. Finally the person I was with in the garage cme up behind me looking at me like I was a crazy person and took the shovel from me and said "I think its dead now" Damn I hate snakes!