Register now to get rid of these ads!

How old are your tires???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slowforty, Jul 30, 2008.

1. slowforty

slowforty

2. 61TBird

61TBird

Went out and checked mine,
    they are:
    104-10th week 1994
    264-26th week 1994
    284-28th week 1994
    405-40th week 1995
    They were put on the car in 1995 by the previous owner and have about 8k miles on them since then.
    I've gone to Santa Cruz(Tbirds on the Wharf),San Francisco(Bombshells show),Antioch(Billetproof) and Sacramento(Midnight Mass).
    I keep them properly inflated and have put 2k miles on them myself and have had no problems...yet

3. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Interesting, I didn't know about the dates on tires. Thanks for posting this. I KNOW all my tires are over 6 years old!:eek:

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

Tires get killed by ozone and sunlight. Keep them inside, garaged. And away from electric motors that have brushes, hardly any of them any more, That's the most common source of ozone.

But someday soon the tire inspectors, road checks, DOT, etc. will be looking at your well preserved tires and telling you to scrap them because of the date codes. I hope this just applies to daily driven stuff and not to our historic vehicles. But I kinda doubt it.

Frank

5. thrasher

thrasher

the only tires i've had problems with are the cheaper brand tires like you get from costco and walmart. most of my tires are 10+ years old but i'm not too concerned about it.

6. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Blowouts are traditional.

7. zbuickman

zbuickman

OMG why did you post that???? now Im not going to sleep tonight.......Ill have to run out to the junkyard tommorow and see if they have some newer tires for me. because the last one's I got off that wrecked car might not be safe , cause there too old:D

8. So old my
    date codes are kuniform
    so old my
    firestones are made with lava

so old my
    my tread is made from old mexican sandals

so old
    my wide whites were never black

so old my
    steelies are rusty steel to the tread

look at avatar![

thank you thank you come back for the 10:00 show

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. squirrel

squirrel

check this out:

Attached Files:

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Here at the U of A, we have a 5 year tire policy. With our heat and dryrot, it makes sense.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Tires on wife's new horse trailer died (leaking thru the sidewall) after a couple years just sitting most of the time, yet we have some on other vehicles that are 10 years old and still doing fine.

A friend who has a bunch of old cars changes them every 5 years whether they need it or not. Tire store loves him.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I noticed last year the rear tires on my 53 had a buldge in one of them..Tread was great and plenty remaining..Tires were over 10 years old. Looked deeper and started pulling and pushing on the tread to look deep into the tread..Cracks..took off the rear Wheels and had a new set put on, tire guy (whom i trust very well) said.."You repalced these just in time" He told me with the heat buildup of summer driving on asphalt and the elevated temperatures of road sufaces in the summer and the comprimised integrity of these old tires I was headed for a blow out..Two months later I replaced the front tires for the very same reason and they were the same age as the rears were.
    maybe you can get away with running old tires if you dont drive long distance at elevated speeds and on hot days, but that discribes all of my driving here in Michigan so..they were replaced. Dont need any of that tire blow out crap, as it is, its tuff to pull my rear tires off on the side of the road due to the fact the car is lowered.

13. DBAG

DBAG

When my sled got dropped off on a flat bed a while back, I was graced to get original unused bias ply whitewalls from 1952 in the deal, wrapped in plastic! They needed tubes, but they were mounted wonderfully and these babies are from Sears!

14. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

you want old? the every tire on my international dates back to 1962 except for one.. its from Canada , its from 1975.

you think i should rotate em now?..

oh yea..

split rims to.

NO! i am not sane... thanks for asking.

15. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I just bought tires for my truck 3 weeks ago..Hadn't had them changed since '94...But it is the only '94 Chevy I know of currently rolling around on Redlines!

Oh and my '29/30 Pontiac has tires from '29 or 30...they still are holding air...explain that.

16. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

ive also got some original sears and ro'buck radials no idea how old they are. still hold air to, might put em on my road runner and spin em till they blow.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I might be wrong..(im sure if i am some one will light my ass up)..it might just be radials that are of great concern? I heard that some where, so I dont rememeber the source of the information. (because i have parttimers)

alot of our semi tires are older than 8 years old and we dont seem to have any probems..(yet) with them but theay are all bias tires.

any truth to this or am I all wet?

18. DrJ

DrJ

I tried Googling the code on a couple of swap meet Michelin XZX's I have and got a sports medicine for swelling muscles... :rolleyes:
    The numbers are
    DOT FNJV A4M X 131 and 141
    (These are car tires, not Schwinn bicycle tires)
    There ain't no 13th or 14th month and the 1 doesn't tell me what DECADE?
    (Sorry, the ABC video page won't come up on my antique computer so I don't know what it says.)
    Anybody want to tell me how to figure out what I got?

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i think the 14 is not a month but it is the week..like there are 52 weeks in a year so where ever 14 takes you in the year..like im thinking mid april? year probably 2001

20. squirrel

squirrel

If you can't remember buying them, then they're more than 5 years old.

Bias ply tires do seem to last much longer than radials. Remember in the 70s it took a long time for everyone (except michelin) to figure out how to make radials that would last. Firestone 500, and all that.

21. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Low and slow and your good :) joking.

My Cokers are early production 04 they were over a year old when bought and my kellies are 05's. I better set them to the trash, or maybe not.

Let the insurance companies get on this and the Gov. and were all screwed.
    Your insurance didnt cover your accident your tires are 3 months beyond what we call safe, have a good day.

22. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Looking at the way everything else SEEMS to be made, I wonder if tires today are as good as they were 10 years ago.
    Is a BFG truck radial made with the same quality as then??? Makes ya wonder.........

23. squirrel

squirrel

I would guess that there are more crappier tires being made today, than there were 10 years ago.

24. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how that system works.

Here are some tires, I know where made either in the 60's or 70's, who can decifer these dates.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here I have tires I bought in 06, they where made
    "week 34 year 06" I'm not confused about that.
    [​IMG]

25. DrJ

DrJ

I remember buying them at the Model T swap meet two years ago, but they were "previously owned" then. (Two for $5)

Yea, Michelin had been making them for three decades but all of a sudden American makers say you shouldn't cross rotate them because they supposedly took a directional rolling "set" and would tear if you turned them around backwards. Heaven help the guy who bought a "previously owned" one and didn't know which way it usta be mounted.
    I thought malarky because if they could only roll one way then accelerating and then braking forces would tear them up for sure.

Like someone suggested, it's the latest way for the corporations to deny responsibility for their shitty products.
    Sorta like the way the good intentioned MSDS quickly turned into a "This hand cream may may hurt you if you put it on your skin, use at your own risk, you've now been legally warned." liability denial contract.

26. gas pumper

gas pumper

From the way I interpet the code, to be 2001 it would be 1301 and 1401.
    So you either have 1991's or that is not a date code because they are older than the date code requirements. I don't know when the codes started.

Frank

27. Searcher

Searcher

The date codes are from decade to decade.....so your old tires are from the 9th week in 1965, EDIT : or 1975
    The only way you will know what decade is by records or just knowing how old the car is, etc.

28. OMG....I guess that I'm screwed since the tires on my '30 Model A Coupe are the same ones that I put on it in 1970! The tires on the Vette are from '72 or '73. I guess that I might as well get rid of my JCPenny "lifetime" battery, too.

29. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

My rear tires are from '83 or '84. I was born in '86.