Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My new 1957 Chevy Bel Air cover car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rippedcamel, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

Yeah, if I do sell it, I will donate money to the HAMB for all the info and help from the members. I sure as hell wouldn't sell it for next to nothing especially considering the fact I'm watching a completely stripped (no windows, motor, interior, basically a shell) 57 Chevy Bel Air going for $5000!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=280250257863&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

This thing has no historical significance, wasn't on multiple magazine covers, isn't custom like mine, doesn't have an engine, interior etc like mine does. I'm betting I could get alot more for my car than most people think in it's current condition.

I'm not saying I'm going to sell it. I'm kind of torn. I need to do some long hard thinking about this.

2. falfas55

falfas55

I'd put it back as it was in it's day. Things like this don't come along every day.Just my opinion.

3. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Not fer nothin' But that ebay '57 is a RUST Free Hard top.......
    how about this finished running driving 57 sedan for 25K ebay#110274936373

Moriarity has 2 multie magazine cover cars that are done cars he paid 40K for one and 50K for the one he just had in Salina. a lot less then what it cost to restore a car I'd say. Maybe you should just ebay the car. Since this post has started I found a super clean driving 57 chevy convertable for 25K
    with a factory continental kit. The valley custom 52 lincoln with 2 parts cars one being a rag top just sold for 40K. just pointing out the facts not trying to stir the pot. if you think your car is 1/2 or 1/3ed of those prices maybe you should keep it
    FRITZ

4. henry29

henry29

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

If you're into this about money, then you're in the wrong place, with every post you contradict yourself, you're basically not a car guy. You really have no idea what you have and all you're seeing is dollar signs.
    Sell the car to Fritz, he'll do it up like it with respect to history, and he might lose his shirt if and when he sells it, but it'll be worth it.

6. dmac620

dmac620

You couldn't be more right!

7. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

This thread reminds me of dealing with bureaucrats or some people in business.

Whenever anyone says "It is not about the money"... you had better hide your wallet because you're about to find out it's only about the money.

8. I agree, your dad had the car. My dad just died and I wish that I had kept the car that he gave me. You'll be sorry that you sold it. And if you do sell it may never get re-done.

9. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

It's not all about the money, but as I said to others in PM's, what people don't get is I'm a true PERFORMANCE enthusiast. As everyone has clearly said, I'd be an idiot to alter this car in any way, other than what it was originally.

So with that said, I don't want to be the guy who is known as ruining a piece of history like this. Every single part I'd put on, that I know can be replaced with a more high performance part would irk me. I don't want to dump years of my life, and tons of money into something I don't think I'll enjoy as much.

I do think customs are cool, but cool so long as I can add my own touch to it.

I think I'd rather get like a 69 Camaro, like my father had, and told me so many stories about, and build it the way I want too. So if I did sell, I wouldn't do it just for the money, I'd do it specifically so I can buy a car I want, and build it my way. I don't see why that is so wrong.

I originally planned on keeping it and building it my way, but after some long deep thoughts, I think it just might be the wrong fit for me.

Btw, Fritz......I'm not going to unload the car to you for a low price. You can try all day to convince me the car is worth nothing as it is, but I'm not going to unload it for cheap. You're a great guy and all, and it was nice talking to you, but that isn't going to get me to unload my car for much less than it's worth. I will be posting on ebay after I advertise it all over the place, then the price will surge quite quickly. Then there won't be any debating on what my car is really worth. :D

10. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Funny thing about this post is it has run longer then it should like a greatfull dead song, it goes round & round with no direction what so ever.

this guy says sell, that guy says don"t sell, put it back to the way it was.
    sooner or later every thing gets sold. Thats the secret to life, we are all gonna die, we can't keep anything forever.

I offer'd to buy it & do the right thing restoring it back to a Kustom
    I don't remember anyone else stepping up to the plate.
    I offer'd to help with what ever I could do to see it get restored.
    Info, help find parts etc.

as this post drones on I start to lose interest.
    Put it on ebay already and let some guy in japan who'll buy it for a gazillion bucks, but shit or get off the pot with this post already
    Camel yer either gonna keep it or sell it. if you price it at 20K then just admit you wanna keep it
    Cause lets be honest here It ain't a Barris, Winfiled or other Huge name car, there for it will never bring the huge bucks in its neglected state or restored. not every cover car is worth. Ive built them, Ive restored them, I know. it will cost more to do the car then it will eventually sell for. Thats the hard facts. hate me, sub me, whatever
    FRITZ

11. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

I never got a price from you Camel. But hey, Don't post it on the HAMB everyone has read this post already they know the deal, Go for it And post it on ebay already! who knows maybe the next guy will stuff a nascar chassie under it, LOL I think I'm losing interest
    FRITZ

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Will it surge? Are you a fortune teller?
    Dude you're totally on the wrong forum, thanks for letting us have a peek at your car, but it 's clear the car means nothing to you, not even as an heirloom, it's just a dollar sign and you're no different than any other speculator. You came across as one from the get go and Fritz offered to buy the car, it was a reasonable thing to do. You are after all going to "advertise it all over the place" but I'm gonna tell you something, many "advertisers" have come and gone from the HAMB but for the vast majority of people this place is like family and we kinda look out for each other. Some of us would rather give something to another member rather than sell it because they need it more. When someone breaks down a hundred miles from home a bulletin is sent out.

Thank you at least for having the good sense not to ruin the car.

All the best, I hope you get your Hipo Camaro.

13. T-Bone

T-Bone

The fact that you are using a 57 Chevy as your basis of comparison tell us you really have no clue what it is you really have. Sell "the Custom" to someone who understands and cares about survivor customs and use the $$ to buy a regular 57 Chevy to mookify with a C-4 chassis, mustang wheels and whatnot. Seems like you'll be happier and you can still pass it on to your kid. Build it with your Dad too.

In terms of family legacy type stuff...I think it would be different if your dad was the builder or otherwise entwined in the history of this car, but he obviously has no great love for the car, never built it or drove it...probably bought it just because it was a neat old car that he got on the cheap. Nothing wrong with that, but his involvement is merely incidental to its "survivor custom" status.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Correct.

15. barry mazza

barry mazza

If you don't want to put it back like it was, sell it to someone who does. It would be a big mistake to mess it up with modern changes.
    Yrs ago when I was with the Kustom Knights we heard rumors of the car wrecked setting in Upstate NY. Ray Soff [somehow] got in touch with the owner who said it was true and he might want to sell it.
    A classic late 50's early 60's example of metal art, great Kustom.

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm betting that on eBay in the condition that it is, it won't bring enough to buy a decent 69 Camaro.

17. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

I'm betting I'll clear $15k. And Fritz I did give you a price (I said $15k), and you told me it was waaay to much, and you weren't even interested in it anymore. Those were your exact words.

Then you went on to tell me that you could build a clone for less. (Which I doubt, because that means you would have to mold the whole back end, mold the whole front end, mold the side, shave the handles, and chop the top for less than 10k!) Because if a decent body 57 goes for 5k.....that means you have only 10k left from what I offered it to you for to get it to the same level of customization. Plus, even if you did get it done at that price (which is highly unlikely), it will still be just a clone. It won't be the real deal.

Many may think I'm nuts to ask that price, but I'm betting it will clear that, and go even higher on ebay. There's always someone with enough money, that will be willing to spend that on an original, that actually has a history.

I'd rather hang on to it indefinitely, than let someone get it for next to nothing.

Btw.......After thinking about things, after I spoke with you Fritz, I think I'd be gypping myself if I sold it for 15k. I bet I'll get more for it now.

18. Someone lock this shit, it ain' goin nowhere! anybody that would rather have a camaro than this car don't know shit! camaros and mustangs ane like assholes, everyone has one and all they do spew shit!!

19. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

So let me get this straight. I come on here for advice and such about my car. I smarten up because you guys showed me the errors in my ways of thinking about modding it with any performance parts, and altering it from anything but original.

Then you guys tell me, that if it is too much for me to handle, or if it's not inline with what I'm looking to do, I should sell it to someone who would do it right.

So I take the advice of the majority on this site, and now you're saying they should lock this thread for taking the advice of the majority of members here?!

I could've went and modded it my way and ruined a piece of history, but instead I decided to take the proper route. What's so wrong about that?

20. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

LOL, Thats Ok Camel, and I feel stupid for typing this. you might wanna check who I am and what I have done before you think & speak. but yer a new guy we'll let it slide. More power to you, You go get them big bucks! they are out there just waitting for you! I have built, Restored and Painted some of the most famous show cars & cover cars of all time, as have my friends. I think I have a little idea about this world and what things are worth. I built the "Roswell Rod" from nothing for 28K and it now sits in the most acclaimed custom car museum in this country, You obviously know more then the rest of us here on the HAMB So we wont waste your time any more with helpful insite and all that jiberish. I bet you do get your 15K plus, Be a Man already and put it on ebay. I think I have lost all interest now
    FRITZ

21. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

RODHOTZ is right, This post has run it course Lock it down
    FRITZ

22. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

Congrats on building those cars, and I never said you weren't able to do nice work. I wasn't intending to slam you, nor was I intending to insult you in any way. I was simply stating what you told me.

You yourself told me on the phone that 57 Chevy's completely stripped go for about $5000 or more. Did you not say that?

Then you told me you could build a clone cheaper. Did you not say that as well?

My only point to my post was that my car can't be duplicated to the condition it's in, for less than I'm selling it. You haven't seen the car, so you don't know it's true condition. True the floor is rotted on the driver side, and the drivers side needs work. But there is no rust holes at all on the passenger side, top, or driver side of the car. The only rust that's on the actual surface of the car is in the rear bumper, drivers side molding, and then on the floor.

You make my car sound like it's almost beyond repair. It's in better shape than you make it out to be.

What I don't get, is how since you do have extensive knowledge and experience in this hobby, that you think my car should be priced at the same as a regular 57 chevy with absolutely no history, and no customization. That is the basis of this debate.

23. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

I built my first 2 cars in a one car garage in OshKosh, my grandfather isn't blind but was a german immigrant. Let's see them pics, Rikster. I lost mine....

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Lock this thread down, Camaro boy ain't debating, he's trolling, enough already.

25. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

Amen Nads!!!!!!!! Lock it

The Ala Kart, Jade idol, Beatnik bandit, Or any Starbird car has History
    Your car was in a few magazines, it had a brief mention
    (heres the punch line)
    I have met and am friends with Darryl Starbird And your car sir Is no Starbird car!
    Is it on ebay yet?
    FRITZ

ps, I'm only posting guys cause I'm between paint coats on my OUTLAW clone,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.