Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hot rods at the Houston VA Hospital

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Jul 30, 2008.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Usually, pics of events or get togethers involving cars are loaded with pics of the cars that showed up. Today, it was about the spectators. As I'm sure everyone knows, there is a direct relationship between our hobby and the veterans who served our country. I'm not a writer, so I'll post part of something I found on the net. It reads as follows:

"The activity increased in popularity after World War II, particularly in California, due to returning soldiers, many of whom had been given technical training in the service."

Today, a small group of us Houston HAMBers payed a visit to the Micheal E. DeBakey Veterans Hospital in Houston, Tx. I had wanted to just try and break up the boredom for these men, women and their families when they visit the hospital. I think I speak for all involved when I say it was a great success. Lots of questions were asked, ideas shared and talk of times gone by. There is nothing better than looking at the smile on a persons face, when they tell you stories about what they had and drove back in the day. I'm glad that I did this and hope that something like this can be done more often. These men and women are a treasure.

At the time I contacted the VA about doing this, I was told that we would have room for only two cars due to space limitations and we would have to work out a rotation system to display our cars. Upon arrival, this had been changed and the VA security allowed us space on a wide sidewalk that proved ideal. The cars could park, there was shade from the sun and plenty of room for people to walk around and be comfortable. I want to thank Ms. Nikki Verbeck in the VA Volunteers office for all her help in getting this to work.

So, here are the pics. Once again, it's not the cars you should concentrate on, it's the people who enjoyed our time there.

As I had parked this was the first gentleman to walk up. He told me a great story about a car he had. It was a '40 Ford coupe and he had dropped an Olds motor in it. In his words, "We used to really kick some ass in that car." He then told me that he stopped driving it in 1970 and it had been parked in his garage ever since!
    [​IMG]

The hospital Chaplin checks out the fit. He asked me how did it feel to sit in a car that had the tires hanging out. So, I told him to try it out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just after I took this pic, he asked how loud it was. I told him it's not too loud, but there is a guy who has one that is REALLY loud. It was then that this beast showed up!
    [​IMG]

Next, Matt from CMX showed up with a customers '48 Chevy. I just may have to build one of these one day. Stunning!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also in attendance was a member (I'm very bad with names) of The Los Cochinos, representing in grand fashion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, the people.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The highlight of my day was having a chat with the gentleman in the background. He was a WWII vet and was at Saipan and Iwo Jima. He joined when he was 17 after first being denyed. He was in his early 80's and still kickin' it!
    [​IMG]

Another cool moment was over hearing the conversation between these two gentlemen. One said, "Man, doesn't this bring back memories!?". The guy in the suit told of how he had owned one sorta like it with a rumble seat. Classic.
    [​IMG]

Afterwards, a trip to the Alabama Ice House to cool off. Didn't get a shot of ANDREW'S bike at the VA, but here it is cooling off! Bitchin' '73 Triumph. Less than $10 to fill up and doing it in style.
    [​IMG]

On a sad note, BBob couldn't make it. His father was a Korean Vet and was on his way in to make this and had to be taken to the hospital. Thoughts and prayers your way, man.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

3. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great! I didn't see your pics in that thread. yea, I called my mom and told her about it and she said we really did a great thing today. Thanks again for coming out, man. I'm gonna set a date to check out your shop. Your work is very impressive.

5. VanHorton

VanHorton

Thats really cool, thanks for sharin... I'm in love with that green chevy by the way, one of my favorites. :)

6. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

WOW Matt that 48 is really nice...I need to stop by your shop one day and chat with you.

7. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

Thats really cool! Thanks for the pics. When I get my car on the road count me in. I live about a 1/2 mile away.
    God Bless

Saint

8. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

Thanks, James Cole was nice enough to let me drive it down...

And if it's during the day, or night... we're probably open. So stop by anytime.

9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fred, you are just one special guy !!

10. 40 grey

40 grey
    from s.w. Fla.

Really good idea and kick-ass execution. Job well done. Also must be really cool to have your cars seen by people who actually appreciate them. With as many members as HAMB has in every corner of this country, this should happen at a lot of VA hospitals. How hard was it to coordinate with VA? Who to contact? Some sort of public affairs officer? Really cool rides, people ya met-- priceless.:)

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Everything was fairly easy to do. I just called the VA and asked to speak with the person that handles people who want to volunteer to help. The hospital here is always asking for people to help around the hospital.

I talked to Ms. Verbeck and she was very supportive. To be honest, I was really amazed at how easy it was. Give your hospital a call and I'm sure they'll be supportive.

12. 40 grey

40 grey
    from s.w. Fla.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. I will do some asking.

13. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Cool gig Fred. Names Andrew. Remind me to kick your ass the next time I see you... Which better be this Sunday at the Dark Horse Tavern!

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks...ANDREW!:D I'll be there and will take the ass kicking in stride! You're a biker now. I have to get my shit together.:D I'll update my post.

15. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

Come on Fred, even I knew his name was ANDREW!!!

16. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

How did I miss this?????????excellent Fred

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Bro, I really couldn't remember and I didn't want to just guess. I did that with Brad once. Confused him with Indashop and felt like a real bonehead! I figured he would read the thread and set me straight.:D

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sorry ya missed out. It would have been cool to have you there. I did this kinda off the fly and without a lot of pre thought. Next time, I'll bring stuff like this up at the meet, as well as make a thread, so everyone can get involved.

19. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great idea, Fred! Much respect to all that turned out with their cars......

20. Florian

Florian

Wow great idea! That´s what it´s all about

21. Big Tony

Big Tony

Most excellent idea and hope BBob is doing well

22. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

man posts like this make me proud to be moving to Houston. Look forward to meeting alot of you, and helping out wherever/whenever I can

23. Brad S.

Brad S.

So this is where the other pics were hiding. :D

This was a good gig for all the Vets involved. It's something I definately want to see us do again this coming Spring. They may have poor parking in the front but we could swing something somewhere on the grounds for a Friday or Saturday....with ride alongs.

That was the number one thing I heard. A lot of the older guys just wanted to go for a ride....but couldn't due to how the hospital parked us or a scheduled visit or waiting on the pharmacy. I had several thank us for breaking up their routine and if that's all we did was show up...then we can do them a little better.

This was a damn good idea Fred.

24. BLAKE

BLAKE

Nice job, guys.

Reminds me of a story - Kevin Lee snapped pics of my coupe in the parking lot of a 'retirement facility' a couple of years back. Couple of seniors wheeled outside to take it all in, one of which was an lady in her late-70's who starts telling me how she liked to go fast back in the day. I smiled and thought I'd make small talk, until she started telling me about her '54 Ford convertible... how she put two fours on it... how much better it ran with progressive linkage... how she had fits adjusting the clutch... and how her mom was always mad at her for being dirty all the time... :D

Take the time... you might be surprised what you get in return.

25. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Great job guys and I'm sorry I missed it. Those who read this and are looking for community service type of activities for those who appreciate our rides, our HOG group also does one of these but at retirement homes. There is always much appreciation as there appeared to be here so if you don't have a VA in the area, do something for the elderly.

26. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Super job guys! Im new to the HAMB but the more threads I read the more I am impressed by the folks on this board....Job well done!

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Brad, I remembered you mentioning that and it would be a great thing to try and set up. I also got an email today from Ms. Verbeck. I sent her my pics and a link to this thread. Here is her email:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=ReadMsgSubject colSpan=2>RE: hot rods at the VA Hospital&#8207;</TD></TR><TR><TD class=SecondaryTextColor>From:</TD><TD>Verbeck, Nikki D. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=SecondaryTextColor>Sent:</TD><TD>Thu 7/31/08 9:03 AM</TD></TR><TR><TD class=SecondaryTextColor>To: </TD><TD>fred wyche ([email protected])</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <META content="Microsoft SafeHTML" name=Generator><STYLE>.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;}.ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}</STYLE>
    Fred,

I am so glad you guys came out, and that the visit went well! I know the veterans really enjoyed seeing the cars and visiting with you guys. The write up was really nice.

Let me know if you guys ever want to come back out!

Thanks,
    Nikki

28. Bloody Hell

Bloody Hell
    from Spring, TX

Wish I had my crap together and knew about it. I am a 38 year old disabled Veteran that goes to the VA hospital here in Houston.
    Would have been great to put my ID on the dash of my beater and parked her there.

Thanks for going out of your way,