Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you secure your HAMB vehicle when you are out and about?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goztrider, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Midnight, she was just pointing out another thing that some of us were overlooking. I appreciated the comment, as it pointed me to another area that I had overlooked.

I do like the picture though!

2. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

LOL I bet that go a few peoples attention....ouch

3. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

No hard feelings by any means, I'm just saying I believe we all know that todays mobility means we can move literally anything, but practically how many thieves drive around with tow trucks? Very few, most have a screwdriver, some jumper wire, and want to get something as quickly and as in obvious as they can. I know the majority of cars stolen at shows that are towed, are actually towed on the trailer they are ALREADY SITTING ON!

They tend to steal the whole rig, trailer and all. Which is why I'm not driving a trailer queen. :) ;) They're going to have to provide their own trailer if they want mine. :D

4. When i see threads like this.. I think of

1 proper insurance coverage.. Value , replacement , coverage
    (read the fine print )

2 proper home security.. Locks ,out buildings, windows , doors

3 video/ photos (document rare parts and photo your id number on it), vehicle title and id numbers,plates, safely stored.. Minimum of id stuff in the car (insurance card can be carried on ya)

4 normal safe standards of theft prevention , door locks,
    ignition,remote kill switches/battery cut out

5 know where your car is ... Avoid places that are suspect..
    Use your spider senses!

6 next if still feel threatened gps or alarm systems , motion etc.(one using its own battery source is best)

7 if you must ..... Move .... Get a different job .. America is a big place some areas are safer and saner than others

8 remember all the above will not protect you from all evil ...
    Peace of mind is just that a good healthy mental attitude

good luck

5. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I'd say just chain it from the rear axle a pole. I'm sure 95% of stolen hot rods are towed away not driven.

6. chevyguy469

chevyguy469
    from PA

that grenade picture is just amazing, i got a good kick outta that! lots of good shit i learned here! thanks

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

thinking that car thieves are cranksters with a screwdriver and a piece of wire is a bit foolish. how many 30 40 50 or $100,000.00 cars do you need to steal before you buy a nice tow rig.

I bet there are people making big money stealing cars. they probably have a list and go shopping like gone in 60 seconds.

8. titus

titus

i park, then i turn the key off, take the key out, put the key in my pocket, then go about my business, life is to short.

if they want it that bad theyll figure out a way.

jeff

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I was not even thinking about towing from the actual showgrounds BUT TOWING from the hotel parking lots under cover of darkness and unsuspecting sleeping owners. A tow truck shows up and in a matter of seconds the car is dragged up on the flatbed and hauled away, later being tied down a few blocks away.

This exact sarnario is happening at an ever increasing alarming rate here in the metro Detroit area with daily drivers. Lets face it, with the exception of the HAMB Drags where more folks know whos car belongs to who, at the average NSRA or GG event, are you going to question a tow truck driver that shows up in a parking lot with a clipboard in his hand, who then looks at the tag like he's verifing the plate then proceeeds to hook up the car. Most people wouldn't, they sit there in their chair and continue to drink their beer.

Just last month I was at an event where most people knew me and my car BUT Sunday morning someone other then me was able to gain access to my car, I have shaved handles, and left me a note inside on my front seat. He could have just as easily hot wired the car and drove away.

My point is, we as a whole have to know each other by name and face and know whos car belongs to who AND feel confident enough to walk up to someone who's "sniffing" around a car that YOU know doesn't belong to them and politely hang around till they move on. This is one VERY good reason why meeting fellow HAMB memebers and chatting at meet & greets is so important. We have to take on the responsibility ourselves of helping each other keep our cars safe and sound without getting paranoid about driving and leaving them "unattended".

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I remove the rotor and lock the doors. Hidden GPS in case it gets stolen anyway. Lots on insurance.

11. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm just wondering what you were doing up at 4am this morning? Your turn to stand watch? :D

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It was 7:18am my time and I should have actually been in the shower getting ready to go to work but I was HAMBing....of course I was late for work once again.:D

Next thing I know you boys will be looking at the IP address of where I'm posting from and making comments that I'm not at home......at 4am:D

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yup!!! kinna like when someone leaves there home, locks the door good and tight and there frt door has a 3x3 ft glass center! duh!!! why bother lockin it!!!:Danyone ever steals the shitboxs i drive, they will prolly bring them back!:rolleyes::)

14. repoguy

repoguy

Here's the bottom line:

If someone wants it bad enough, they're going to get it.

The answer is a relly good, agreed value insurance policy.

15. i agree whole heartedly.

as an aside,
    i called the insurance company yesterday to ask about comp and collision on the 52...she said that they had already valued the car at 9k sight unseen and added the coverage for $80/6 mos. (about 13 bucks a month, .45/day)

i can get the car valued up with an inspection and no increase in premium.
    i dont qualify for collector car insurance so 'agreed value' is a relative term...i have to convince them that the car meets book value standards for the dollar valuation. , but even if that didnt fly, i still wouldn't be out too much in the case of a total loss.

16. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Insured my cars for 2x- 3x times the value just in case they get heisted !!!

17. Chris_Rat

Chris_Rat

I caught a creep trying to make off with my 64 c10.

Needless to say the sound of me sliding the pump on the mossberg got his attention.

I immediately called the cops, and luckily the cop who showed up was a kid I went to school with.

They cuffed and stuff him.

Best part was, it was my younger sister's loser boyfriend.

He's lucky. I told the cop if he showed up 2 minutes later he would have been beaten within a inch of his life.

Trust me, no one would miss this kid.

I have a fuel shut off and battery disconnect, plus an ignition toggle.

He would have never got off with it.

It was parked under motion sensor lights too.
    Crooks are stupid, especially strung out ones, they'll do anything for a fix.

18. luvzccr

luvzccr

i work at circuit city and can get a 700 dollar alarm system for only 90 bucks, 30 bucks for install. i was considering getting that but some of these seem a lot more simpler and less time consuming

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

So my Stepson was right about Circuit City..and the whole lot of those types of stores, there nothing but a bunch of rip offs:eek:

Hey if they can sell you a 700 dollar system for 90 bucks ,,(and you know they are making a profit and so is the manufacture at that 90 buck tag) than they are really hosing the shit out of the average consumer.

Ive got one of those Brainiac Kids (stepson) were working on a computerbased system for security (home video) and Auto tracking system.That you can watch your home and cars from any PC,.I hope we can make a go of it..
    if we are successful at it..we aint gonna rip off everyone for it either.

I just gotta find a way to motivate an 18 year old boy:eek:

maybe if this ever gets off the ground we can provide a HAMB discount

20. luvzccr

luvzccr

well its only the audio department that makes the profit, the rest of the store makes even, or even negetive margin. i sell laptops and we sell those cheaper than what they should be, which is why we're always trying to get you guys to get the warranty or accesories with it.

and that computer bases system thing sounds pretty cool. but maybe a little to techy for me haha, i think i could maybe just use the Club haha, seems easy to use, goes right around the steering wheel :cool:

21. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'm also figuring on installing a security system as well. I figure at least with the shock sensor causing the alarm to sound it out to at least get some attention - hopefully from me and the shotgun as well.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thats what they are wanting you to believe..they are blowing smoke up your skirt pal..trust me.
    we already looked at the mark up on computer equipment cant cite any right now because its not infront of me..but take for instance we can build a Tower for 300 that you would spend easy 700 at one of those stores. and the video equipment has at least a 100% mark up on it or more (i know CC doesnt have much of the very hi tech stuff in that dept.) but if thats what your boss is telling you hes either being smoked or her smoking you..or maybe corperate is smoking both of you..dont believe it!
    if you have the knowledge and the ablity to do this shit on your own i suggest you do..you will find is alot cheaper than what they are selling it to you for.

23. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

do you run outside everytime you hear an alarm go off in your neighborhood ?.....didn't think so, no one does anymore. I truly believe that a lojack will get your car back as they say 90% of the time ( please von rigg fink, no cop bashing today if you don't mind) and using the cable or chain as has been mentioned here to secure the car to something else (post or even another car ) will keep your ride as safe as possible.
    If they want it and know where the car is, they will and can get it.
    I also believe in the slowdown theory, if it slows them down, they might just go away
    my 2 cents

24. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

The Essex has keyed door handles. That and laminated glass all the way around will hopefully keep the lazy thief from getting in and stealing it. However, it's fully insured for more than I have into it in case someone with a tow truck wants it really bad.

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dont worry HR man 2000.. You know.
    and dont be so sensitive
    and as it were, im trying to help them do their job by finding a way to secure our investments, so they dont end up in the hands of theifs to begin with..
    now wouldnt that be supportave? and pro-active?

My Stepson and I are working on a Mobile security system and a home based system that will encompass our vehicles and allow You as the owner to first off protect your items, and secondly if they do get stolen . Give you the ability to track the vehicle your self ..therefore eliminating the need for johnny law to step in unless you wish to involve them. Im getting a little ahead of myself at this point because the logistics and capabilities of the equipment hasent been completely ironed out , but we are trying to make a difference, even if it isnt just for our selfs or those who show interest. I wish i knew half as much about computers as he does..motivating an 18 year old can be quite a challenge

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  26. I take the key out of the switch.

Ya can't pop the colum on a '65 Chebby and most modern car thieves don't have a clue how to hot wire one. Not that anyone would want my junk anyway.

I think that if you really want to be secure than a Low jack is probably your only hope. No one pays attention to car alarms.

I think you'll find that most of our rides are leaveing by way of roll back. Maybe one of those wheel clamps like they use in some of the cities for parking fines. But if I were going to be really stressed about it a low jack would be what i was after.

Oh yea I ment to say I don't lock the doors either, I don't want someone to bust out my window to get at my AM radio. :D

27. abc123

abc123

How about a few "hidden" kill switches made of metal (insulated from the frame) connected to a coil -- flip the switch and ZAP! ...or for the faint-hearted, connected to the horn with a locking relay on a timer so the horn won't shut off even if the switch is returned to the off position. The timer would prevent the horn from running the battery down after a minute or two to avoid enraging the neighbors.

28. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I just park close to cars that are nicer than mine.:D

the removable steering wheel deal looks better and better. not to mention it doubles as a semi effective weapon. (Imagine beating someone with a steering wheel...HA!)

Lojak sounds better and better.

29. thrasher

thrasher

on my roadster pickup i'm going to have a kill switch, a removable steering wheel, and a hidden line lock for the front brakes. even if they are able to get it running and steering, they can't go anywhere with it.

30. wsdad

wsdad

Some one broke into my car once. They left $20.00 on the dash because they felt sorry for me. :D