Register now to get rid of these ads!

The new CAB-De-Coupe:)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coupe-De-CAB, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Looks like an awesome start. No bed? Where you gonna haul your bike?

2. congrats, post progress pictures

3. I've always loved the chevy stuff, 32 coupes and 35 and 36 pickups.

Here's a good inspiration link from street rodder mag... published a while back now...maybe two years?? Owner is Peter Noyes... or was at the time.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/features/0611sr_1935_chevy_pickup/index.html

My two cents on the ford deuce grill.....everybody uses it on everything....you're doing something a little different so keep it fresh. I'd be using a 35 chevy pickup grill...period. haha

Keep us updated and good luck.
    -Stevie D.

4. Oh yeah, forgot to mention what I thought about the flat cad/la salle combo...(not that what i think really matters, cuz it's your truck)...but I think that'd be a great little combo for something smaller like an A roadster...but you got a big space to fill up front with that bigger cab/firewall. Why don't you fire something with a bit more size in their to keep the proportions on point.

5. kustomriv

kustomriv

That chevy truck cab is a 38 not a 37 . The 37 did not has the gas filler coming out of the cab.

Tim

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah! That's it! I say go for it also! I can see it now!

7. nice score Steve, you will have fun along the way building that. Hey are you coming out to the Bonneville?

8. Satinblack

Satinblack

Nice one! If only it was as easy to do as Photoshop :)

9. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

looks like a great build Steve! I might have an extra mid 30's chevy grill laying around. Let me see if I can snap a pic for you!
    -Chris Gross

10. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

We are planning on moving out there at some point... the housing market is in the dumps
    to sell our house so were waiting a bit to see if it gets better...

I might know of a flathead caddy....I'll ask if its for sale.... :D

I do agree with a mid 30's chevy grille might look pretty good too ...

11. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Tim,
    your correct! after doing some googling "pics" research, i did notice that now;) Thanks for the info on the year, the guy selling it must have made the same mistake. They all look so close, plus there's no title with the cab.
    thanks again,
    CAB

12. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

My 2 cents. I did a similar cab with a 37 Ford passenger car grill with the hood+sides. It was a head scratcher for alot of people but I had the idea from a previous truck and finally nailed it on a third truck and loved it.

13. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I actually wanna sell my BSA, i rarely ride it these days;)

14. I really dig those...the beltline and the slope of the roof are sweet...I had a 37 and used a farmall grill shell and it matched up nicely with the lines of the 37 which is almost identical if not identical...I will dig through the shoeboxes and try to find the pix...that was about 50 cars ago...good luck with the build

coming soon: rodtees.com

15. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

16. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

mmmm....bsa.... havent had one in 17yrs! i miss it!
    nice score steve! are ya plannin a car rear kinna thing like or club mates???
    [​IMG]

17. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Steve

I have a 36 lowcab model. If you are going to chop it watch out when doing it. Keep in mind that the windshield is NOT like on a Ford. The bottom center makes a much more pronounced curve than the top of the windshield. When chopping that center can get pinched off real quick. I'll put some Photochops together of mine if you want to see what I mean. Watch out and don't get ahead of yourself on the chop.

edit: measurement is 9.5in. at the windshield center. 11.25 at the two ends.

It was good to meet you also at our grand opening here in Houston. Who owns the nice 40-41 Ford INDY pickup that was here?

B

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  18. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Bitchin start to a nice pickup project Steve. Guess the 35 is done huh? Looking forward in your progess with this one.

19. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Silly Skateboarder.....I said it was a 37 didnt I? Hahahaha....maybe not. I can't wait to start on this thing!!! Ps....32 grille...yes. Section....yes. Caddy Flathead....yes. 392 Hemi....yes yes yes.

20. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

"hey...I think I'll try my hand at _____"

Insert whatever activity, and Cab can do it. I'm hoping some of your skate/art talent rubs off on me while we are tinkering with the modified. Seriousy....I tried to kickflip the other day and ended up on my bum hahaha.

21. GARY?

GARY?

Sectioned 38-39 Ford truck grill, or 30? I.H. grill. I think somebody might have said that already.

Are you planning on painting it and making her shine?

Chevy artillery wheels, oops you already have wheels in mind:rolleyes:

22. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Hey Cab, a clean built nailhead would look killer between those rails! Man..I love those nailheads. Great start, post pixs on the build. Oh yeah, just got my reissue cab board in blue! Cant wait to get to the park with my kids tomorrow.

23. May I suggest a conventional driveshaft? Unless you're using a Harley V-Twin!

24. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

i dunno cabby, i'm seeing a 35 grille with that cab.

25. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

hotrodtrash thanks for the support, hope ya dig the new deck! Nailheads are pretty sweet, but not what i'm looking for.

corn boy it may get some new paint and shine someday, but not worried about that right now, just the build and making her run:)

Big Block Scotty you da man! Thanks for the kind words my brother and for all your support:) hey, you better do a better TM job at the XGAMES than last year or this will be your last! ...kidding:rolleyes:

chevnut the '35 has been done for years, it was finished when Joe Mac had previously owned it. actually just waiting from some skirts to be finished from Mr. Foster.

LOWCAB I'll keep that in Mind about the windshield, thanks for the info. Great to meet ya as well in Houston at the Indy skate tour stop.
    The '40 truck is owned by NHS (Santa Cruz and Indy) but i think they are planning to auction it off pretty soon in the near future and give the profit to the "make-a-wish" foundation.

Breeder The only thing in the rear end will be a nice visible quick change (not sure which brand i'm going with yet).

thanks everyone else for your commments.
    cheers,
    CAB

26. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Hey Steve-- like i mentioned, I like the Cadillac idea-- and being a Caddy guy, i've got a couple extra motors laying around--- both OHV 390s and flatheads. Here's my opinion:

1) Caddy Flathead...... I'd do this if you're looking to match it with an era correct car, circa styled mid-late 1940's. That said, it's going to be a whole bunch of weight, with not a lot of power. Speed parts are very expensive. I've got two motor it you wanna go this route (i'm building one for myself for a future roadster project that i recently found the body for.)

2) OHV Cadillac.... I know lots of tricks on these motors, and i have 2 extra good motors that need rebuilding that folks gave me (that i'll give you.) I've always wanted to stroke a 390 by having the crank offset machined for smaller journaled, longer SBC rods (hint hint.) I also have some experience porting heads on these beasts, etc. I've got speed parts you can check out for ideas (keeping them)... but they can be found pretty easily. Done right, you can get good hp out of these beasts, reliably...

Stoked that you're going to build your own machine. You've got lots of friends to help. I'd be happy to help you so that you can assemble your own motor, and i've got all the tools you'd need.

-scott noteboom

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

Steve,
    I just picked up a 38 cab also. Mine came off a flatbed farm truck so the roof is pretty rough on it.

Eric

28. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

Steve! Didn't you hear that putting 32 grill in front of a truck cab is bad luck? Don't worry I'll save you, give it to me. I'll put in front of my Tee.

29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...nice score, you 'lil turd...:)...need any parts?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Eric, awesome and congrat's ...Is it a Ford or Chevy cab?

ibcalaveras I've never heard that one, but where i come from, we don't believe in luck;)

3wLarry you wouldn't happen to have any quick change rear ends laying around? thanks again Larry:)

notebooms Thanks so much Scotty, i would have to have you help me in the motor department, especially because you have the experience with these guys! As i get closer to that stage, i'll let ya know if i need any help. I appreciate all your help and support on this project and thanks in advance.