Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My new 1957 Chevy Bel Air cover car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rippedcamel, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Roy

T-Roy

Awesome Rikster!

2. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

royalshifter, spoke to Moriarity at the leadsled spectacular in salina today about the car and he passed on it. Told him how Bad I'd like to restore her and he thought if i could get it I should have it.
    Belair Thanks so much for the kind words, I hope to have the chance to do that kool kustom proud
    FRITZ

3. T-Roy

T-Roy

Camel it seems that some of the fellas here think your car is up for grabs. I don't think they've been following along...

4. Rikster!!!! Some guy could have built a car in Oshgosh,in a one-car garage,with a blind grandfather who didn't speak any english and was a German imigrant,and Rikster will have pic's of the car and know the guys name!!!
    You're the Indiana Jones of car history...
    You knock me out every time! I'd like to see your collection of magazines!

5. belair

belair

Hey FRITZ, I meant it-car should go to some one who digs it! Hope you get a shot at it.

6. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

hey man, i wasnt mocking you, i was just crackin wise, and im pretty sure the other guy was too.what i said had nothing to do with your Ls MII question or anything you said. i would have said the same thing even if you didnt mention the LS, and just asked what should i do to it. dont be so sensitive. and dont call me a clown... im a mime.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  7. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

My mistake. It seemed more or less like a mockery to me, as I was sure it didn't signify you were joking. Usually you don't tease someone until they know you, so they don't blow it out of proportion. I'm a clown myself, and love sarcastic humor, but I make sure people know I'm just teasing them.

My apologies for ripping into you, but make it more known next time you're joking.....atleast until people get to know you ;)

Plus it wasn't helping that my posts were completely misconstrued for a little while, But thankfully everything is patched up now.

8. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

Yeah the car definitely is not up for grabs. I'm making that clear now.

9. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

super super super cool car!
    when you planning on finishing it?

10. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

I'm assuming it will take 7-10 years.

11. You have now earned my respect,buddy!!!
    Good luck with the re-build. Hope you post pic's of the journey...

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Don't hesistate to ask here for answers or help. You may have to endure some razzing from time to time but someone generally steps up.

13. "don't call me a clown! i'm a mime."

LMAO!!!! That just fuckin killed me! ha ha ha!!!!

14. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

what ever ya need, offer still stands to help ya find parts or whatever! Moriarity would be a wealth of vintage kustom kemp info also.
    FRITZ

15. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

no problem, no harm no foul :)

16. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

You got a pm...Think about my offer!!

I will do everything in my power to make it happen...Hope to talk to you soon!!

17. I agree!

18. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I didn't want to sound harsh, I just have a hard time believing a guy can be that committed thinking he could spend $20K, paint & uphoslter it himself with no experience, add a modern engine & C3 chassis (it said that early on) and have a car worth $400K. Then within a couple hours he's cool spending a ton more, wants to make it just like the old days and not interested in the potential value. Call me a skeptic- I still hope for the cars sake it gets done the way it should.

19. I bet it was a wide white!

20. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'll give my 2 cents

There are customs & then there are documented customs w/ a history.
    Worried about value later? Look at how many here would kill for a shot that building this car. If it were mine- the budget be damned & I'd build it just like the mag spread & lie like hell to the wife as to the cost.:p

21. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

"AMEN" not many would drop 10K & up on a car that needs a ton of love. I know from experience that even doing things yourself 50K is a low figure to go through a car. You can't just love it, you really have to dig frigging deep into the 'ol pockets to show the love. But hey, Its Camels car he should be able to do what he wants with everyones support, lets be glad this piece of koolsville didnt get crushed to be a new toyota.
    FRITZ

22. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

Very simple, because as I've said a multitude of times, I was only considering the money part, and I really wanted to build this with my son. I mentioned 20k because that's what I was told by the guy that built it. Was I supposed to look at a guy that has more years experience in this business than I've been alive, and say he's lying?!

I considerd installing a modern engine and suspension (which I said C4, not C3...just another oversight). I was then told it would be worth 400k, and after doing my own research via looking up sold customs, there were other 57's that were done up perfectly (but not as radical as mine, and lacked my cars history) that sold for $200k. So I figured people on a site like this that had a plethora of knowledge would know better than anyone.

I never said I was cool spending a ton more money, I said I imagine it'll take maybe an additional 10k over what I was told, and that would be fine. Other members agreed that in Florida that could be possible.

I think you are just stereotyping me and my intentions off your own incorrect preconceived notions due to the fact that you misread and misinterpreted my posts. Last time I checked, forums are where you go for knowledge and to learn from people. That's what I did was learn!

I'd love for you to point out where I said my main intention was to sell it. I could've sworn all my posts were more on the fence about things, until later on when I was more educated on what modernizing the car would do to it's history. I wasn't aware that customs could be considered historical because IT'S CUSTOM! So I was shown very quickly that this wasn't the case.

Any questions as to my intentions now? Or do I have to continue to beat the dead horse until it turns into a zombie and tries to beat me?;)

23. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

Help me out with the math on this, cause maybe I'm lost...
    Straighten the body and do the body work- $4000
    New floor & labor $1800
    Rebuilt engine $2000
    Random engine parts $2000
    Tires and Wheels - $1200
    Interior being reupholsterd and new cushions- $2000
    Paint - $4000
    Actuators and such for the doors- $650
    Frame from a donor - $1500
    Suspension- $2000
    Finishing stuff (headlight buckets etc) - $2000
    Transmission- $2500
    Rear end - $2000
    Misc - $2000

Total = almost $30,000

I was being generous with my totals too. Maybe it's different where you guys live, but that's the totals here in Florida. I just had the whole front end...both fenders, hood, bumper, and windshield bars painted, new hood added, chrome radiator cover, new headlights, alignment, long tube headers plus installation, high flow H pip with installation, and a few other little things all done for just under $4000 (on my Mustang). I think my totals are very on the money.

So can you guys elaborate on where I'm wrong here? :confused:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  24. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Cool, prove me wrong. But as a person who has collected tri-fives for 30-plus years and been a custom historian I just have seen A LOT of cars with way more motivated owners stalling out. Just thought once you found out you would wouldn't be racing it at the track or seeing a 2,000% return on your investment (more like spend 50K and it's worth 50K) you might reconsider your options. I didn't say you considered selling it, but if you aren't really into old customs maybe there is something you are more into to share with your son? Get into it and you will have a great time restoring that car.

25. rippedcamel

rippedcamel
    from Florida

Nah, as I said before....this NEVER was intended as a drag car. I only considered putting a bigger motor in it because I like power. But I'll stick with it's original motor instead. My Mustang is my drag car. I've taken down some big boys with it....08 Cadillac CTS-V 400hp+, 03 Vette vert, 02 Camaro Z28, 97 Mustang Cobra. My stang isn't a slouch, and I have many, many more plans for it too.

I don't care about the investment as if I plan on building it myself, the return won't be of any concern. If I planned on selling it as an investment, I'd have most of the work done by a professional to make sure it will net the most money. But since that's not the avenue I'm taking, it's not an issue.

I never said I wasn't into old customs, actually on the contrary, I'm very intrigued by them. If I had my shot at a different one, I'd do it up old school on the outside, with a fully built LS2 engine, fully built for Tloc rear end 31 spline, and of course a fully built suspension. But again, that would be if I ever have a shot at another old custom that doesn't have the history mine has.

26. mikes51

mikes51

There are exceptions, but most hard core custom lovers keep their hoods closed to appreciate the beautifully sculptured lines of the body. The subtlety of the modifications to the shape of the car are the essence of a custom. High performance suspensions and horsepower are pretty low on the list for custom lovers. Just thought I'd fill you in on that aspect since you hadn't mentioned in any of your posts anything about the aesthetics of your car. Don't take this in the wrong way, just filling you in on what it's all about.

27. T-Roy

T-Roy

I don't buy into this perception. It totally kills the whole car for me if I walk up and see a late model injected whatever motor in a 50s-60s kustom. There is a Merc I've seen a few times locally that the 1st time I saw it I was like man that thing is bitchin'! Then as I get closer to the car I see it's got a tuned port FI Chevy under the hood, billet steering wheel and digital gauges. Tell me that wouldn't kill it for you...

28. \
    Whoever told you that your car restored with an LS1 and C4 Corvette suspension under it would be worth ANY amount of money is SMOKING CRACK.

That's what happens... guys who don't know shit talk too fucking much and put crappy notions in uninformed people's heads.

The ONLY reason the Tri-Five cars with C4 suspension bring so much is because they have almost that much or even sometime more than that into them. Plus, I would be willing to bet that they sold at auction... which IS NOT a real appraisal of what stuff is worth.

To make that car worth as much as it is ever going to be worth... it needs to be restored back to the way it was when it was on the cover. You're looking at a 25k paint job, 30k in parts, 10k in the drivetrain, 10k+ for the interior and another 50k for labor... that's IF you can find a shop to do it at that reasonable cost.

Your second option would be to do it yourself... and sure, you could do it for 20k, but it would be a "driver"... have a half ass paint job and interior... BUT, you would probably have the most fun with it this way!

If you absolutely LOVE Kustoms... I would strongly encourage you to do the latter. if you are wanting to make money, I can guarantee you the ONLY way you could make money on this car is to sell it as is to someone who loves it.

Sam

29. I mean no disrespect... but that list doesn't even begin to cover it to do it "right"...

besides that, you are high on some things and very low on others...

Sam.

30. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

It does- and I see it FARRRR too often. No offense, but look back to the "golden era" and how many customs have flames? Another modern thing that you can see from about a mile away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.