Register now to get rid of these ads!

do your neighbors hate you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MERRELL, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I dunno. They keep moving away. :eek:

2. Zerk

Zerk

They didn't used to...I must be growin' on them. Guess all that help and goodwill was for nothing.

3. chopped

chopped

I just went out front and looked up and down the road, didn't see any houses so I guess not.

4. Do my neighbors hate me?, No, she LOVES me, I fix all the junk her husband can't.
    TK

5. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

I live in between two families of Mormons. The ones on the east side wave, say hello if I'm outside, or in the garage. The family on the west side seems to think I'm some sort of recarnation of the devil.

6. Biff

Biff

Great thread! My neighbors seem to be entertained by my antics..most of them are transplants from my hometown of Erie, Pa, and followed me to our fine neighborhood in Sherrills Ford, NC, so I guess they are reminded of home..

7. How is this stupid thread not closed yet? Be polite and considerate of your neighbors. It's the TRADITIONAL WAY.

8. Cataldo

Cataldo

My neighbors deal with the fellas over nearly every night raising hell. Music cars and power tools. I also like to screech the tires in my Camaro every time i come up the street. They never complain to me 'bout it. Not that it would do any good. Everyone does their things: dogs, little kids, a million cars, exc.

I know that 6 houses don't particuarly like me. But the others love me, for the cars the Bull shitting we do. I have a good street. That has 4 cops living on it, and none of them have ever complained... well except when we started dry ice bombs. that was funny!

9. ChucoTownHotRods

ChucoTownHotRods
    BANNED

:DMost of my neighbors are cool the one right next to me works on his lowriders and the guy across from me works on his motorcycles the guy behind us used to be an old hot rodder the neighbor across on the corner has a shit load od old rides mainly hudsons , buicks, cadys. We all get along sharing gossip of our rides or helping each other out but there is only one guy that is not cool he has called the popo a couple of times for noise polution bull shit we still do it any way we pass by his house pop it in neutral and rev the shit out of the enigne.:D

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well i get the point,but there seem to be a lot of people who are asses who like to start trouble. sometimes no matter how nice you are some people have to have something to complain about. my view is if you want to work on something in your own dam garage,and you aren't out hammering at 3:00 am, people should mind their own buisness and not complain. remember the saying,if you can't say something nice,shut the hell up and stay in your own yard. besides a lot of us car guys including myself, don't fit into the catagory of the perfect suburban neighbor,but no one has the right to tell you what kind of person you have to be. it's the creative gene that lots of people seem to have lost.

11. BOHICA

BOHICA

Man, that's some hardcore music right there. ;) All these stories further solidify my resolve to never live in the city. I don't know how you folks do it, I gotta have my elbow room.

12. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

13. Abomination

Abomination

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

good god,i have 5 convicted rapists living within 2 blocks of my house,time to move dammit. the police told me there weren't any. fuckers should have been kept locked up.

15. Abomination

Abomination

Yeah, I clicked the box to "show child molesters". I was equally disenheartened. :(

~Jason

16. Chris_Rat

Chris_Rat

The old downstairs crackhead neighbors hated me. My sportster was parked outside their bedroom window.
    When I left for work at 6:30 and started it up, lets just say drag pipes aren't quiet.

The people downstairs now though are ok. I"ve helped the young kid do 4 or 5 motor swaps in his hondas.

If they hate you, screw em, give them the finger!!!!

17. CRZNDUCK

CRZNDUCK

I had the truck parked in the driveway for a month before we moved it to the spot in the yard and built the pond. If you look close you will see the AK47 attack on the grill, it does a great job of recirculating the pond water.

Attached Files:

18. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

That is pretty bitchen....

Here's my yard art...John Deere Model "MC" crawler.....with some flowers around it that my nieghbors wife grew...She said green and yellow tractors need green and yellow flowers. Plus there are plows and old horse drawn equip. on the banks and in the gardens...All the nieghbors dig it. A couple old tractor guys said my dad was insane for putting a tractor like that on a mound with flowers...He said didn't have any choice my mom made him. And also Coker was out looking at old tractors and wanted to buy it. Mom said no....

Attached Files:

19. I have two sets of neighbors, one at home and one at the barn I rent.

10 years ago, I wrote a letter to all my neighbors telling them the plan I have to build my car in my garage and in my driveway. I promised not to make noise after 10 pm, and keep things under tarps... We have a short fence along the property line in front of the house, and I'm on a dead end, so nobody could see the stuff as they came into the street, only as they left.

I asked anyone who might have a problem with it to call me or stop by and we'd talk... I put a copy on the door handles of everybody front doors on the block. Thumbs up by most everybody the next time they saw me... For about a year.

Since I live one block from the police station, the code enforcement guys swing through at 10 mintes to 5, to waste time at the end of the day.

And because my rolling chassis was under a tarp in the front yard. Officer Friendly (That's his real name), showed up when I was home, I showed him another copy of the letter. I also explained to him that I show up to city council meetings about the "inoperable vehicles ordinance" was written by the local city attorney, and that, according to the letter of the law, the way it was written, two carbuerators on a shelf in the garge, is against the ordinance... and that he'd like to give me a citation, you WILL see me in court, and the city WILL have to fight me, and my lawyer (who is a friend, and a car guy) promised to take it as far as it needed to go to win, pro bono), I also noted that the city attorney is not a defense attorney, and that they'd have to HIRE another attorney to fight us... and his boss would probably not be happy about spending that much money, since nobody actually complained. I also played to his "cop" gene, by saying you have the power to decide whether or not to write the citation, correct? He shook my hand, said have a nice day and got in his little truck and went away.

His angry lesbian co-worker showed up 2 years later, and left the yellow note on the door, and I had to take my project elsewhere... so no problem with MY neighbors, just the local constabulary.

Now I have a barn, but it backs up to a over 55 trailer park, I open the windows and blare loud music until 10 pm, when I close the windows, and don't use hammers after 10... no problems yet.

20. Joatha

Joatha

I bought my present house back in 1995. It was just a regular ole house with insufficient garage space. I talked to my new neighbors and told them of my plans to add a garage (and a pool). The wife's eyes got REAL big when I told her I was going to build a garage out back. I think she was REAL worried.

So, 2-3 years later, I build my garage. I put a brick front on it, nice windows, and nice siding. Basically, I built it to match my house architecturally. Even had some nice lighting fixtures on it. It was a year or 2 later when I happened to be talking to her again and she said that I when I said I was building a garage she was really really worried. But, that what I built was extremely nice, tastefully done, and added to the value of the neighborhood.

FWIW, I don't keep any cars stored in the driveway and I work on them in my garage. I'll open the doors to it. But, with the fence and the cars in the driveway plus my big-ass row of holly bushes, its dang near impossible to even tell that the garage is open from the street. I also don't do any loud work on them after 10 or so. As a result, my neighbors couldn't care less.

One other interesting thing happened while I have lived here. The HOA that existed when I moved in was really a whimpy powerless organization. So, they dissolved the existing HOA and formed a new one. The new bylaws had REALLY strict rules. But, in order for my property to be subject to them, I had to sign and agree to them and allow my property to be part of the HOA. The rules wouldn't even let me keep an inoperable vehicle in my garage and out of view. Plus, I couldn't keep an RV on the property. The HOA president couldn't figure out why I wouldn't sign. So, one afternoon he came over and I walked him through the bylaws and showed him about 3-4 items that I was ALREADY in violation of. Then, I asked him if he viewed my as being a "nuisance". He said that my house was as well-kept as any house in the neighborhood. I asked him why I should sign if I was already in violation despite having a well-kept house. So, he asked me to re-write the sections I wanted dropped and he'd get it approved. I did it and the board approved them. He told me that some lady objected and everyone looked at her and pointed out to her that if they didn't approve it, I could do ANYTHING I wanted with NO recourse at all from the HOA. Or they could approve my changes and at least keep my property from becoming a nuisance. And, all I really changed was that I could work on my car in the driveway (which I really only do on my RV), store inoperable cars inside, and keep my RV in the driveway. I just wanted to protect myself in case I ever ended up with an asshole neighbor that wanted to nail me because they hated me.

Fortunately, my neighbors are all fine. Its not a particularly tight-knit community and we all largely leave each other alone. So, I'm not hated by my neighbors and I don't hate them. All in all, I'm happy with the situation.

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I always figured I would be THAT neighbor. Hardly. Not with Jerry the racecar driver nextdoor. Sprint cars and mini sprints. Hey, I try and make noise, haha. But I'll never have the SHOCK and AWE factor, not without the 40 foot trailer and rollarounds, atv's etc.

All I have to do is keep my front yard nice and presentable and I'm a ghost!!

22. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Everyone's real cool except this buttmunch that yells at everyone to slow down, even when they're doing the speed limit. He even went so far as to have a radar speed sign placed on the street, which my friend proceeded to pee on. A mysterious neighbor called in a complaint about our inoperable vehicles (it was kind of warranted, things were a little messy) and we think it was him. Biggest house on the street, he seems to think that we are devaluing his property, when in reality, the whole street, including his house, is kind of crappy. Ooh wouldn't I like to wring his neck since our shop has two bays for three people. That leaves the driveway for me, and I can't really leave stuff out there taken apart while I wait on parts and/or money...He can't even see our house from his. Plus he probably sits inside on his fat ass and plays Dungeons and Dragons with his nerd friends that wear socks with sandals. I'd like to see his cheesy, flabby, nasty self turn a wrench. There's no way this guy could ever appreciate people that know how to work, and he has to f it up for us. Sorry for the rant, I guess I just had it built up. What a douche.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

I really envy those of you who are one of several "Car Guys" in their neighborhood. There are many times I could use another hand. I'm the only "Car Guy" in the area. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy for messing with old, loud cars. Thats fine with me just as long as they leave me alone. I could care less what they think.

24. Fun thread!

My answer: Nope.
    About 5 years ago, I purchased the house next to my parents (who have a '57 Chevy). There is a empty lot between us that I own and will eventually build a bigger garage on.
    Then, the following year, my brother bought the house on the other side of me - again with a lot between us. He has his purple '50 Chevy.

The neighbor on the other side of my parents owns a local gas station & garage and he used to race a Camaro. Incidentally, the guy who owned the house prior to him ('bout 30 years ago) built race engines that used to rattel the plates off the wall!

The guy behind me has a '55 Chevy.

The guy a few houses up runs a custom scooter shop. He ride a around in a bad assed primer Chevy truck...if he's not on a scooter, running up and down the road.

And the guy across from him has a nice old Chevy.

As for the rest of them? Like another person said here, I have no interest in what they think about me.
    But if they DO hate me, it's only because they're jealous!

Only bad thing seems to be that I'm the only Ford guy around here!

25. Rockys Rod Shop

Rockys Rod Shop
    from nj

Back in the mid 80's my buddy and i got a house from a guy in his 90's everything was so over grown you couldent see the house that was falling apart. So over the next 5 months we redo the hole place inside and out after the house is done we do the old 2 car shop out back every thing is cool neighbors are cool untill we start working on are stuff in the shop he had a 66 gto and i had a old front engine dragster with a alky bbc in it. Every nite were in the shop the cops come so we keep the doors closed noise down still thay come every freeking nite paint the windows black still thay come. Now i have never started the dragster up at the house but every nite i leave to go home in my chopped 67 chevy c10 that come. now its getting ugly lots of screeming from the ass hole next door now the cops just come in the shop and have coffee with us one court date a lot of b.s vist from fire marshel haze mat auto theft sqwad weve had it . We get a good offer on the house and its time to move on. So we pack up and load all of our stuff to leave and at 3 am were done the last thing to load is my dragster so i park the truck and trailer 2 blocks down from the house we pust the dragster to the to of the dead end street i get in wy buddy gives it a blast of alky i fire the muther up and do a 800 footer at 8000 rpm till every fuckin lite in the neighbor hood is on load it up and get the fuck out :)

26. oldsman71

oldsman71

that was friggin beutiful ,rrr, and inspireing!!

27. Cragar

Cragar

I live in a small dead end street the guy that lives next door is a restorer that I have corrupted and now wants to buy a hotrod but the rest of the street hates both of us

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Like somebody else that posted to this thread, I have 2 sets of neighbors, those by my home, and those by my shop, about 1&1/2 miles away.
    I was 4 yrs. old when I moved in my home in 1941! Been here most of the years since.
    From the time I was 8 or so I worked on something, bicycles, motorbikes & scooters, then all sorts of old cars (1st was a '34 Ford 3 window). Then moved away for a few years and back for good in '69. Worked on 4X4s, daily drivers, and eventually my son's Mustang.
    Always kept it all in the back yard out of view of the street and nobody ever complained, all done outside, no garage but unseen except over neighbor's back fences.
    In '66 I had gotten into dirt oval racing and had rented a shop bldg. which I also used to maintain daily drivers, but had to give this up about '73 and back to the back yard. Still no complaints as I kept it all out of street view.
    In '86 I found a deal on a commercially zoned bldg. "inna hood" that I still have. This was my only way to have a shop with the room I needed and be able to do what I wanted and needed, as I knew it would never fly in my home neighborhood. It's been a continuous upgrade on the shop bldg, which is 1600 sq. ft., insulated, heated, and air conditioned, with 3 phase electric.
    I'm a retired machinist and have quite a few machine tools in the shop, some I have running, and some are waiting for their turn on the priority list. I'm also building my '31 Brookville replica of "A" hiboy on deuce rails there and maintain my daily drivers there.
    I keep outside storage to a minimum, keep all the neighborhood kid's bike tires, basketballs, and footballs pumped up and once in awhile tighten a bike seat, etc.
    So far, so good there, unsure what reaction to fire up of 350 sbc will be if I don't rig some sort of temporary mufflers on whatever I use for temporary exhaust till the engine is run in, rings seated, etc. before I install rhe Patriot roadster header system, (don't wanna overheat the finish on those high dollar pipes, you know.)
    Here at home, it hasn't been quite so peachey. Decided I wanted to replace my popup camper with a travel trailer. So first thing I did was check zoning laws about parking it. My popup I parked in the backyard at end of driveway, but I knew this wouldn't work with the TT, as I live on a hillside that would require extensive tree and earth removal and a retaining wall to put it in backyard.
    But the law in effect said that it was OK in front yard, so I had a spot off my driveway about 100' from the street graded out and gravelled for the TT. Also put in underground electric service so that I could keep battery charged and run AC when cleaning inside of TT.
    Then next thing I know my city commish tells me that they are passing an ordinance that will fuck me up bigtime with my front yard TT parking! So I contact the Good Sam Club (RV owner's club), and they send me a packet of info on how to fight the law and a host of court decisions all the way up to US Supreme Court that rule that RVs and other large vehicles can't be restricted on parking on aesthetics alone. Must be a threat to public safety or health to ban parking on private property!
    So, I get myself appointed to the citizen's board to straighten out the gigantic "Pandora's Box" that was created with the passage of this ordinance. End result was that ordinance was revised so that I was unaffected.
    But the faggot bastard that lives 3 blocks from me that pushed so hard for this in the first place still won't speak to me when we run across each other here in town, and that suits me fine!
    Dave

29. 37FABRICATION

37FABRICATION

I know who to call when I need to write a 200 word essay. I'm impressed...

30. ems customer service

ems customer service

sent the fire inspectors after us, then i sent the federal marshall after the fire dept for civil rights violations, then got a restraining order agianst the city, i hate fire inspectors