Register now to get rid of these ads!

good ways to make money for projects?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevyguy469, Jul 26, 2008.

1. chevyguy469

chevyguy469
    from PA

does anybody have good ideas?? its so hard to do what you want when you have no money for your project, right now im selling just a few parts ive had sitting around, but does anyone have goos suggestions?

thanks

2. pecker head

pecker head

Get a part time job !

3. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

do side work....

4. Scott

Scott

get a trade

5. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

spend a buck on the lottery and pray you're the lucky one

6. wayfarer

wayfarer

Last year I got a '72 Chevy pick up, put new rockers, cab corners and door skins on it and painted it. It took me about 5 days to get it all done. I sold it and made about 3 grand.

7. I search junk stores ,yard sales ,junk yards ,dumps etc to find stuff I can sell to make a profit.It takes a good eye to know what to buy for a good price so that you can easily turn a profit. I spend the money on my cars etc and the wife can,t complain.

8. 29paul

29paul

Sell semen $35-65 per specimen and plus you have fun as you work.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Work overtime or a 2nd job. Hire yourself out doing side work, labor, etc. Let all your buddies know you're available (construction,etc.).

If you can't increase what's coming in-decrease what's going out by bringing your lunch to work,etc. Every $20 or $50 you don't spend on frivilous crap is $20 or $50 toward car parts.

Also, there's a lot of sweat equity type labor stuff you can do on cars that's nearly free; body work, cleaning, sandblasting, painting suspension pieces, etc.

10. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

buy and sell.. buy and sell..

get deals on things, and buy em aLL...

example-

guy has 3 sets of 40 ford brakes for a nice price... make him a deal on all 3, sell 2 off for a fair profit, and end up with your set free... i did this on a LOT of parts..

thing is, cant do this with bodies unless you have a lotta money ahha

11. budd

budd

any local auto auctions?, most car dealers dont want cars with parking lot dents, so they end up at auctions, most people buying a car from a private sale wont even notice these dents, plus sometimes it just a low turnout and you get deals.

12. henryj429

henryj429

When I was 17, I was already parting out cars to pay for my projects and slingin' a little bondo on cars other neighborhood kids were building. When my step son was in his teens a few years back, he stripped parts for me, I sold them on ebay and gave him half the cash. He made an easy grand one summer.

Of course, another good option today is scrap metal. Get an old pickup and trailer and use every connection you have to find derelict vehicles and junk and haul it in. Make sure you don't crush any cool shit!

Bottom line....if you're willing to sweat a little, you can raise plenty of cash for your projects,

Good luck!

13. PalmdalePsycho

PalmdalePsycho

Get a job at a parts store, like napa or autozone, i think you get discounts on some stuff, and you can gain a little knowledge. There is always fast food too, Money is Money!

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Get a set of pinstripers brushes!! Practice and get to work!

15. Oh man and I've just been giving mine away all of these years!

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Generally speaking hot rodders traffic drugs and kustom guys lean towards pimpin.

If you're setup to work on old cars, you're setup to do simple stuff on late models too. Put the word out to family and coworkers and suddenly that garage will earn enough to cover it's overhead. Tell em you earn $20 an hour and won't markup parts, that's a SMOKIN deal for them yet still makes it worth your while.

The garage allows me to always have some $1500 late model beater that books out around 5K. Every now and then I'll stumble across another beater in distress, cash out the old one, and repeat the process. Normal people are going to pay $2000 a year for the privledge of owning a similar beater, mine pays me.

Granted, none of that will fully offset your projects. But it'll make ya feel better, and the truth is you'll grow as a mechanic with the experience. Eventually your cars will show the results. good luck

17. Iamagearheadru

Iamagearheadru

The Pinstriping practice takes almost little or no money, just your practice time and then you can stripe anything that moves and make a little side dough.....if that fails ....the semen thing sounds awefully fun...where do I sign up for that?

18. 41 C28

41 C28

I help to support my habit by pulling items from my person collectibles(stuff piled in my garage), garage sales and such and selling on ebay. Only problem I usually buy hight and sell low.

19. brewsir

brewsir

At 17 I am impressed that you are asking...my kid works part time so he can waste his cash full time!
    When I need cash I sell something...usually at a profit. Look on craigslist for screaming good deals...say a $200 honda motorcycle WITH title and registration would be ideal. show up with cash and a truck....you are young so offer $150 maybe the guy goes for it. Take it home and clean it and polish the chrome, mask off stuff you don't want paint on and spray the frame and engine with rattlecans, Detail it as much as you can for say under $50. Maybe you need a seat...keep an eye on CL and ebay...or learn to sew...can't be that hard to do a stock honda seat right? When you are done with all this elbow grease and sweat equity ...sell it at $1500 OBO (it needs to run and look good now)
    I used the Honda MC example becaue they can be priced all over the range and are easy to store while you are working on it...but the same works for any old car too....find a cheap car that has all the paperwork and detail it and sell! If you get a signed title you can usually just do a quick turnaround and never even go to DMV (saves you the fees)

20. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Depending on the size of the city you live in, and even that is not a total determing factor, but many of the "senior" citizens, and especially the female types need a lot of little odd jobs done around the house, that they cannot do them selves, and can't get one of the "major" contractors to come and do the small jobs for them. Little things like wash their outside windows, or clean their gutters, light trimming of a tree or bush. that sort of thing. You'd be supprised they usually pay well, and will tip generous just to have some one do it. Take a little of money and buy some advetisements in the local Penny shopper, post notes on the local grocery store if they let you do it. But let people know you're available for work. Also, a little tid bit, let them know that you're 17, but very willing to work. In this day and age, that really makes an impression that you want to work for your money, instead of just sitting around.

Since you do have that pick up, you're already a little ahead of the game in that you can do some "light" hauling. Some of the trash you haul out, just might have someones treasure in there, that you can also peddle. Not everything has to be automotive related. Someone throws out a computer, take out the guts before you haul it to the trash, there gold in those boards. Metal...take that to the recycle. God I'm getting old, I used just a little red wagon to go up and down the alleys when I was a kid, and hit the jack pot one time, someone threw out a pot belly stove and at a penny a pound back then, I was an instant millionaire.

Some stuff, you can just offer to haul it a way for free, just to get the scrap metal.

If you do use your truck for doing odd jobs, remember to also factor in some gas money on you pricing to them. It's cost you money to use your truck for business.

The summer is almost shot, but have you got a snow blower, that you can be lining up some winter work with it?

Especially in the winter, have a portable power start unit, or else make sure you have a good battery and jumper cables for this winter, and when the temps are way below zero, hang out in the motel parking lots, and jump start cars. (Real easy money there)

HellRaiser

21. chevyguy469

chevyguy469
    from PA

im glad that people are recognizing my interest at 17! im hoping that one day with enough knowledge i may be able to do it for a living. but who knows, thats a far away dream right now. i am going to look for a project to do myself if enough money is earned, because the truck is really my dads and hes like a purist, so i can do anything real fancy with it. i.e. one of the reasons im looking for my own thing..but its hard to find values on kwl cars now, everyone is scraping metal:(

22. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Hellraiser's right old folks + odd jobs = $$$

If you get a rep as being polite, trustworthy, & dependable, then they'll call you often.

I got a buddy that was asked to clean out a building for an old lady & went home with over 10,000 old hubcaps! (YES, I said 10K)

Good luck, sport!

23. tomslik

tomslik

just be careful what you wish for.
    you get too busy with other peoples shit, you don't get time to work on your own

24. 1-Selling drugs, but prison sucks
    2-If ya got a pretty girl, that ya know is a HO, you can pimp her off
    3-If ya got "skills", you can trade for parts/services needed

FOCUS more on #3:cool:

25. whid

whid

this might sound stupid to some but works for me. when i started building my truck along time ago i didnt have alot of money.i keep my eyes open for stuff people were givin away and sold and traded that stuff its totaly free.and profitable.the main thing i did was save change to buy a part i was eventually gonna need.first year cashed in a couple hundred bucks and the shit was on from there.i would buy 10 or 20 bucks every two weeks when i got paid,dump it in a jug,and save all the silver that passed through my pockets and added it also.15 yrs later i'm still doin it. since i quit smokin i buy $40.00 in quarters and save the rest. just rolled $1240.00 in change.i'm headin to the nats in louisville and goin shoppin. hey it works for m e...........dave

26. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

A few years ago, money was super tight around my place. I was working for a company out at the airport that handled freight, and had leftover wooden pallets (40x48). They gave them to me, and I took them to a pallet recycling place. For a decent pallet that needed an easy repair, I got $1.75. For a perfect pallet, I'd get $3.00! That winter, I managed to gather over $2000 worth of extra money, all for just a bit of hauling.

Another thing you could do if you've got a pickup is go to sheetmetal shops and talk them out of their long wooden pallet skids that their sheet steel comes in on. Many of these shops can't get rid of these, and the shipper doesn't want them back, so they are thrilled to have someone haul them off. Most of the runners are non-treated red oak 3x4 boards that wind up being between 8 and 10 feet long. If you invest in some good leather gloves, a mini-sledge hammer, and a bit of time, you can easily break down a stack of 10-15 of these monsters into scrap and 3x4s. Then sell the 3x4s on craigslist for $2-5 each. If you get 10 of these monster pallets, and each one had 3 runners on it, then get $3 each runner, you're looking at close to an extra $100 for about an hour's worth of your time. I've used these things on all sorts of projects, and there are more of them waiting for me anytime I want them.

27. James427

James427
    BANNED

I've always looked in yards and driveways whenever I'm just driving around. Not only do I look for old iron, I also look for just about any car that looks like it has been sitting for a while. Grass gorwn up around it, leaves on it, covered in dust or dirt in a carport, etc. They obviously don't use it anymore, and might want to get rid of it cheap. Sometimes there is something minor wrong with it like a dead battery, but they have another car so they don't bothger with it. These types of cars I call "nuisance cars" and sometimes they will literally GIVE them to you or you can buy them dirt cheap. A little cleaning and fixing and it's not too hard to make an extra $1,000 a month easy with very little effort.

28. Got any lonely divorcees in your neighborhood?

Me, old, fat and ugly, but I'm a quadrasexual...

Anything, with anyone, for a quarter.

29. ems customer service

ems customer service

after supper drive the wife to her 2nd job while you stayhome and work in the garage

30. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55