Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 Skylark Gasser, what are the stone carved rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stubbe, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Stubbe

Stubbe
    from Rapid City

Hey, I'm building a 61 Skylark to a gasser/drag style car. Hoping to make it look old school drag. Anyway I got a straight axle coming, and dual leafs up front. Front wheels are going to be cragars SS 15x4.5 Rears I allready have wheels for, 15x10 SS. Thats why cragers. Rear tires are Hurst cheaters, 30" tall. All on the way.

I got the frame at ride height. Right now the rear wheel well is 32" high, front is 36". Got the 32 from 30 tires plus two clearance. 36 is just rake or negative rake, whatever you call that. Seems to me its too tall. Whats the way to fix this. Tubs seem to be dispised pretty bad. I have looked into radiusing the rear quarters, but this car is so shapy (shape like?) it seem like a shame. Check out a 61,62 Skylark,Special to see what I mean.

Any Ideas, I'll post up pics tomorrow night also.

2. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

love to see what you got.

3. Stubbe

Stubbe
    from Rapid City

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  4. We have one also that we are doing something similar to.

[​IMG]

I would love to see what you come up with.
    What rear axle are you using and are you using the factory 4 links?

BloodyKnuckles

5. Stubbe

Stubbe
    from Rapid City

The plan so far is to reuse the links, Mine are pretty clean. I'm going to box them up and put better bushings in. Don't know how we are attatching it to the axle yet or frame (?ish) parts. Thinking of lowering them a few inches with brackets to comp for the slicks. Oh, axle is a 8.8 with 3.73 locker. That puts my wheels out one and a half inches from the outermost body lines, so like 3 or four at the bottom. Right now just trying to figure out how to open the wheel wells and not look like shit.

Whats your gonna be?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I would move the wheel wells up and maybe pick up another set of wheel wells so that I could lengthen them a bit to match the size of the rear tires. End up with something similar to what a 56 Nomad rear wheel looks like.
    That may be near impossible to do though due to the shape of the rear quarters.
    I think you are going to have to do some inner wheel well enlarging or tubbing anyhow as if I remember right those rear inner wheel wells are pretty small.

7. Stubbe

Stubbe
    from Rapid City

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the the stock looking fenders. To keep the cars look right. Can't really tub to much, or need to as the axle lenght is going to put the rear tires out anyway. Also the well are 11" and taper at the top of course. Just trying to get ideas from you guys as I'm pretty new to this.

8. Terry O

Terry O

Stone carved rules? Guess they would be NHRA. You need to decide what era you want to duplicate then you can see what was required. Check out www.gassermadness.com

Terry

9. Stubbe

Stubbe
    from Rapid City

Thanks, checked out the gasser madness before. Cool site. Def going to have to lower this thing, crank is going to end up either close or above the 24" as it sets now. Just a guess though, not really to sure till its done.

I was kinda just looking for the street definiton of gasser, and the true street one, not the faux awnser. Like can you have a built small block gasser, turbos, supercharger, nitrous, raidials, modern axles, disks, hood scoops, cutouts or full exhaust or both, FI or carb only, custom paint, metalics, candy, primer, lace, full interior, roll cage, back seats, stereo?

To tell the truth I don't really care what other people think of my car, just if don't want to find out later that the other way works better, ya know?

Hoping to end up with a car that most people will be shocked as hell that a 20yo built. I want it to look like a car some hardcore hot roder built.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  10. belair

belair

Don't use Chinese fasteners

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Stone carved rules" ?? I'm sure a certain SOMEONE will be here eventually to give the the rules....as he sees 'em ! :rolleyes:

12. Stubbe

Stubbe
    from Rapid City

Made from Chinesium. No I like using grade 8 for everthing and sealer. Works good so far. Cashiers tend to think I'm crazy buying 150 bucks in bolts though.

13. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

HELL YEAH...have simlar thoughts about a 61 f85 i have...but its so far on the back burner....

14. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Yeah....we have a self appointed "Gasser Authority" :rolleyes: around here!
    You'll know it when he eventually gets here.
    Most of us just ignore his bullshit and nonsense , build our cars the way WE like 'em , ( as opposed to a certain year NHRA rulebook ) and just have FUN with them. They look "old school" but have todays safety standards incorporated within.
    I suggest you do the same. Remember, its all about having fun!!:D

15. Stubbe

Stubbe
    from Rapid City

Stepchild, whats your F85 look like. What you going to do to once you start it?

If anyones got sweet pics of these or similar small compact drag cars, post up.