Register now to get rid of these ads!

TIG question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimbo121, Jul 25, 2008.

1. jimbo121

jimbo121

Hey all. Has anyone had any success tig welding mild steel using an argon/co2 mix? Wondering if I can use just the one gas to do both tig and mig.

2. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

click on this link been asked many times before

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264190

as a new hamber use the feature called search,,, spend the next 4 months reading most answers to your questions and you will be amazed at what is in the posts from months and years gone by:p

3. Stubbe

Stubbe
    from Rapid City

should just penetrate deeper than 100 percent argon, thats what I think I was taught.

4. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

it should work fine, but i think your tungsten will burn a little hotter so make your post flow gas timer a little longer and you should be alright.

5. jimbo121

jimbo121

Thanks for your help. Have heard lots of conflicting advice on this subject. I'm gonna run with pure argon.

6. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

thats a good idea.

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Up until recently that SEARCH feature has been less than responsive and just because the question has been asked it can be difficult to find shit when the attention seekers on this site use ambiguous titles at times to help create the atmosphere of intrigue!

8. We have used mix gas by mistake at the shop and it always seems like you are running out of gas. The incidences of porosity rise and it's tougher to maintain proper puddle flow.

You may be able to "get away with it" but your weld quality will suffer.

9. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

use the advanced feature you ca n search for key words such as tig or welding, i know what you mean about the attention grabbing headlines some people post:rolleyes: