Register now to get rid of these ads!

art tips and tricks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bainbridge, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Bainbridge

Bainbridge
    from Illinois

I have been lurking around here for awhile but dont know much so I dont say much, but I am amazed at the talent here and would like some tips if you have them

Here is a car that I recently drew up, its not nessarliy particular car, I guess i am looking for mechanic tips line angles shading, how to make it look better, anything really.
    [​IMG]

Also I found these on the lowrider thread and was wondering what mediums(paper type pencil type comp program)/techniques where used to make them (if you don't want your picture on here I will take them down)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. weez

weez

Draw all the time! That's what I did. You will drop the things that don't work and do more of the things that turn out well. Also, get Thom Taylor's how to draw series of books. (cars, bikes, monsters) He knows what he is talking about and how to describe how things work.

Good luck!

3. actually its a nice drawing
    start posting on the friday art shows and rely on your talent

4. Nix66

Nix66
    from Detroit

Just keep drawing you will only get better. i use a lot of prisma color pencils. two kinds prisma verithin, and regular prisma collored pencil. i would spend the money on them. the verithin pencils are a little harder but you can get a good range of values out of it, and you can erase it if you need to. the regular prisma colored pencils are more "waxy" the color is very vibrant and heavy. good on canson paper. if you are serious about it i would suggest getting a set of prisma pencils, they are kinda expensive but very worth it. you wont regret it. here are a couple of mine with prima pencil. good luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

DRAW,DRAW,DRAW, look at how other people do things, then DRAW,DRAW,DRAW! After a while you develope your own style. It's looks like you have a great start!

6. mikes51

mikes51

The main thing I like about your drawing is you've got original ideas about the car design. The short quarter window, bumpers, etc. It is very common practice to draw an existing or popular design and perhaps make it look fresh by a unique drawing technique. The real art is in the freshness of the ideas. So keep up the creativity in that area.

In technical terms make sure the perspective is correct when drawing vehicles. Especially when it comes to the wheels. Make sure they are aligned correctly with the body. The first time I sold one of my drawings to a famous artist in the hotrod world, he said to me; "You ever heard of ellipse guides? Go out and get some. That front wheel is crooked in your drawing". Everything else he liked about the drawing.

Watch that windshield too, looks like the passenger side corner is a little high. I would do a search on NATE's posts, he's got some good sketches that show perspective tips.

Keep up the great work.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  7. Slide

Slide

One thing that helps me in the things Mikes51 mentioned (and I'm still frustratedly trying to get better at) is to draw with/on a medium that allows you to flip your drawing backwards. With traditional media, I like drawing on tracing paper for this reason. (I draw on both sides of the paper.) If you have a light box, you could use other kinds of paper. On the computer in Painter or Photoshop, I can flip the "digital canvas" horizontally so everything gets backwards. I find a lot of my perspective/proportion mistakes this way.

You have a good start there!

8. Bainbridge

Bainbridge
    from Illinois

wow that's awesome!

Thanks guys for the tips and suggestions, The art shows remind me that I need more practice and sounds like I need to invest into more than a mechanical pencil! I like the idea about flipping the paper to check the perspective

9. J CRUZ

J CRUZ

First off, your drawing is really cool and I agree that you should be posting on the friday board.
    I also agree with weez about those books as well as the how to draw the hot wheels way books. I can't stress enough about how much of a difference the supplies you use will help you. The radest thing about prisma colored pencils is that they match the prisma markers perfectly and you can achieve outstanding results from combining them. The style you develop will come naturally depending on the medium you use. I tend to use a combination of hand drawn and computer to get the final result of my stuff. So do most guy's here. Draw people and learn how to draw them well. Nothing will help you draw cars or anything else for that matter better than learning how to draw people correctly. Everything else is cake after that.
    Here's a list of supplies to get off to a good start.

-Small cheap light box
    -Micron ink pens sizes 001-8 (you don't need them all but get at least an 8, 5, 2, 005 or what ever the smallest size is.
    -tracing paper
    -soft white eraser, (I like the retractable pen style ones) these are great on tracing paper!
    -references (books, mags, more books, and pics off EBAY are a serious help!)

(COMPUTER)
    - scanner
    -PHOTOSHOP
    -ILLUSTRATOR
    -fonts (free if you search them out)

Most important, draw a lot and have fun!

10. mikes51

mikes51

Hey Slide, I do the same thing! I do it slightly different I look at the drawing in a mirror. I know what you mean though, after looking at a drawing for so long you don't see if something is crooked or a little off. The mirror image gives you a fresh look.

11. Bainbridge

Bainbridge
    from Illinois

What type of paper do you guys use? One thing that always irritates me with colored pencil is the texture you get with it, is there a paper to get a smooth color like from a marker but using a pencil?

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

draw,experiment,draw.draw,draw,draw.... look,draw.draw,draw and draw more.
    And when your so dang tired and can't draw anymore............

....... keep drawing.

13. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

I use bristol board and heavy vellums.

14. Slide

Slide

I really like the paper they sell for graphics markers. This stuff is getting harder and harder to find, but it's out there. It's pretty thin, though.

A lot of the Prismacolor crowd likes bristol board (sorta like card stock, but comes in a pad) or illustration board.

And to add to JCruz's "computer list", I'd highly recommend a Wacom tablet. I know trying to do creative work on the computer without one would be like trying to play piano while wearing oven mitts.

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I used to use Chartpack AD markers.... with BENZENE.
    they used to come in a set of 700.... now there down to 100.....
    the paper I use was EDDY bond..... hard to find.
    Illustration board.... I use crescent 110 double weight......
    I also buy rolls of my fav canvass and staple it to plywood.....none of that strech crap....... thats for sissys and "fine artists"

heh heh heh.......

16. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

i think this is by far one of the best threads brought up by a FNG ever!!! art is a very important part of what this board is about. Great questions and i hope the guys here can answer them all for you, i like to draw but im no way near as good as a lot of people on this board

17. luvzccr

luvzccr

im 18 and have been drawing cars since age 5. i have a wierd way of doing it though.... its not like these traditional drawings. i can do those but eh, i prefer being different. i use a mechanical pencil and computer paper most of the time

but last year in high school for a few projects i'd use this charcole paper and draw with sharpie, chalk, you name it.

art is art, theres no wrong way to do it.

great drawing though, looks awesome :D i suck at shading haha