Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Sometimes you just get lucky...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

And you get the PR guys at Ford to ship out your favorite modern concept car for a private 1 day event.
    That's right; Pull a fragile, 1 of 1 concept car out of a 5 year deep storage, service it, buff the paint, detail it, then put it in a dedicated transporter in Dearborn, and bring it all the way out to California for a one day event, send out a handler, set it up, and then after the show truck it all the way back home, 2,385 miles each way. And they did it just to foster a good relationship- No cost.

The Ford Forty Nine knocked my socks off when I saw it at NAIAS back in '01. I had hope that J Mays was gonna light some fires with this bad boy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having the right friends and contacts go a long, long way... So don't burn any bridges, right?

2. banjorear

banjorear

Damn, I just removed from my garage wall the poster of this rig I got out of Hot Rod mag from back in '91.

As I was pulling it off I wasthinking what fools Ford was for not putting this thing into production.

Wow, that's wierd. That's for posting. I too have loved this car since first sighting.

3. Adam D.

Adam D.

wow... thank god they didnt mass produce that car.

4. jimmyv

jimmyv

I like it. Looks better than most of the mass produced stuff rolling of the line nowdays.

5. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Funny how all those years later, it looks rather sedate and not too much different than alot of new cars these days.

6. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

7. oldsman71

oldsman71

i hope the economy gets better,ford and the other 2 need to get there head out and build some cars people can afford, they wanted $600 amonth for a v-6 mustang now thats crazy in my book!!!!

8. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Ford has money allocated for "promotions", and they did bring the new Ford Flex to the show as well.. I think that's where they got the budget to bring the Forty Nine. I didn't mean to post this to rub dookie in any ex-employee's face, but rather to show the generous side of Ford. Despite bleeding money, they made an effort to do something good for a bunch of car nuts. I think that's a good thing....

9. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I love the 49! I bought one of the 1/18th scale diecast versions a few years back. It rocks!

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

"Marketing" costs money. That's just the way it is.

11. It is a good thing. While the tree huggers would like to legislate cars off the planet the automakers need to bring American pride in the automobile back to the people. I should have added that to the last post. The cost of shipping that car is a drop in the hat compared to say the.....GT40 control arm recall or an execs bonus plan.

12. Been awhile since I looked at this one...

Anyone else ever notice how much the side profile and front end resemble the "retro" T-Bird's of the early 2000's? Other than the Starliner-esque roof, of course.

13. That car had so much potential. I guess they'll wait until GM comes up with something, then jump on the bandwagon after it's safe. What a shame.

14. A.) Ford needs to stop naming everything with an 'F'

B.) I drooled all over this car when I first saw it, as I did when the Mercury Marauder came out, as I did at countless other Ford promo cars. Truth is, they build cool shit in limited numbers with a high price tag so no one buys. I know the Mustang is relatively cheap compared to the uhh...well I guess they don't have much competiton anymore in that arena.

give us back options that don't include $5000 packages and cool cars and we'll start buying again. You can't tell me they couldn't do anything Charger-like with the Crown Vic before letting it fall into 'fleet car' category!

C.) Sorry for the blatantly O/T rant that might lead to this thread getting closed.

15. They want how much for V-6 Muttstang? Oh they're destined for the shitter!

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Darn Jay, why wasn't I invited?

I am not too big on most Fords, but that is a sweet machine for sure. If they made stuff like that, maybe they would be in a lot better shape. Maybe after this last quarter, they might take a fresh look at fresh ideas. Drop a kick ass hybrid or alt. fuels motor in that baby and you might be killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Thanks for sharing - nice grin.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

is that a fully functional car?

looks pretty cool for a late model...

18. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

"The Forty-Nine's engine is a the same used in Ford's Thunderbird models, a naturally aspirated 3.9-liter, DOHC, 32-valve V8."

It did indeed run and drive, but as show cars are built mainly to be shown, they tend to not be very well engineered for driving.

19. flatheadjohn

flatheadjohn
    BANNED

It sort of looks like a modernized version of a 50 Merc which of course looks cool. It certainly looks better than 98% of the crappy shitbox cars they, and other car makers, put out. Today's cars lack style, character, (with exception perhaps to the Mustang, and Cuda) like the older cars did. If you took the emblems off of most of the cars today you could hardly tell them apart, just throw away overpriced junk!

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

When I was still working on Hot Wheels at Mattel, I learned from one of my design guys that the Forty-Nine was in development at Ford's advanced design facility in Santa Clarita (I think that's where it was; out near Magic Mountain). I arranged to pay a visit and took my Victoria, thinking that there was some common blood there.

The guy who ran the facility was very cordial, and showed me all around -- the Forty-Nine was still in clay at the time. He never acknowledged my car that was parked in front of the building, but I noticed that his designers were all over it, shooting pictures of it and stuff.

I don't mean to imply that the Forty-Nine borrowed anything from my car; far from it. But I had no doubt that the design guys shared my view that they were kin!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When the Forty-Nine was finally made public, my wife told me that if they brought it to market, she would insist that we buy one. Oh well.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  21. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Oh the Forty Nine! I wanted one so bad when that concept came out! Still like the side, and rear views, but always wanted to do something w/a bumper in the front.

22. THAT was the first thing I noticed about the car....a LOT of Thunderbird in it.

Thanks for the post Jay.