Register now to get rid of these ads!

chev wheel backset ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hightest, Jul 22, 2008.

1. hightest

hightest

hello all, a few years (wow) i started a thread asking about backspacing on chev wheels.
    the problem was that i had a rear end that is too wide and wheels with not enough backspace, so the outside of the tires were rubbing on the 1/4 panel lip.

thread here- http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117444

crash51 recommended i look for some s10 4x4 rims, as they have the most backspace he knew of.
    well, i finally got some s10 4x4 rims, and while they pull the tire away from the 1/4 panel wheel cutout, they actually rub on the lowering blocks, and against the upper control arms in the front. too bad, because they give my car a 'cadillac parade float' look which i think is really cool.

so i've done some measuring and it looks like i need a 15" chev wheel with around 4 3/4" to 5" backset.
    does anyone know of any charts that will show me which cars to look for in a junkyard for these wheels? or know what cars to look for? i'd like to avoid paying for custom made wheels if i can.
    thanks

2. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

By the time you are done buying a couple sets of junk yard wheels, you could have bought a new set of wheels with the exact back space you need...I deal with guys that try this all the time.. Jason

3. five-duece-chevy

five-duece-chevy
    from PA

You can get cheap steel wheels out of the Summit catalog with the correct backspacing and they will still be super cheap, and delivered right to your door. easy.

4. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

hey you can grind out the welds or rivets preset your backspacing tack weld em try it out if it clears weld them up have done this for mus 2 fronts on early fords
    Ken

5. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

What width do you need? that back space is no problem.. HAMB alliance members even get 10% off my retail prices... I have a 1 day turn around and can ship UPS or USPS to Canada....Jason.

6. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

You forgot to tell him how to true them.... If he just moves the center he is gonna end up with wobble.....Jason.

7. hightest

hightest

probably a 15x6, i don't think a 15x7 will still allow for the clearance i need.

i'm beginning to wonder if i should just find a narrower rear end.

8. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

15x6 wheels retail for 65.00 each... HAMB alliance members get them for 58.50 each.. I know a rear end will cost way more to narrow than $120.00 bucks... Jason

9. hightest

hightest

sent you a pm.

any other suggestions fellas?

10. F&J

F&J

A friend just used the s-10 wheels on a 34 ford coupe with a 57 chev rear. Then he was a tick close to the inside well. He added wheel spacers & slightly longer studs. Now it's perfectly centered.