Register now to get rid of these ads!

Problems installing a SBC cam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'm building a 301 sbc and just went to put in the new crane cam and it appears either it or the bearings that were put in by a reputable machine shop are too big

So, I got ahead of myself and stupidly smacked my cam in a SBC with a rubber hammer, i know, dumb.

Now it is really hard to turn, i have to use a short breaker bar to rotate it, it would also be a real bitch to get back out too

So...can i run it as is and it should it wear in, or could it spin a cam bearing, or do other bad things

2. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

You know the answer already dude, pull it out, do it properly. It is supposed to be running on a film of oil, not interference fit with the bearing shells.

3. T-Roy

T-Roy

I wouldn't run it. You may have already scored the cam bearings too... You should be able to spin the camshaft by hand once installed and before the timing chain is on.

Possible one of the cam bearings is not lined up properly in the block? That's what I'm thinkin..

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This same thing happend to me too. I also had the bearings installed by a reputable machine shop, but you know what, they also make mistakes.
    The third bearing was canted, just enough so I could hardly turn the camshaft.
    Bring them the block and have them align the bearing, and you´re back in business.
    Chances are you´ve not even screwed up the bearing yet, mine was still fine.
    Good luck! Chris

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Damn, i figured you'd say that

7. Dyce

Dyce

A reputable machine shop would have tried a cam in the block before you took it home. I had a cam with the lobes cut off of it I would try in the block after the bearings were installed.

Take it back.....

8. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

ill bet one of the bearings is in the wrong spot. NOTHING on an engine should ever be assembeled with a hammer.......unless you use the wooden handle to TAP a piston into the bore.

9. jonny o

jonny o

Think about your poor timing chain man.
    My machine shop won't install bearings unless they have the exact cam to be used in hand. Same with pistons before any bore work.

10. Mr. Creosote

Mr. Creosote

I always give my cam to the machine shop when I have them press in the cam bearings. Sometimes when the bearings are pressed in they, umm, compress a little I think the term is and require honning. Ive gotten several back with a tight fit. If the machine has the cam when they press em in they can check the fit and correct it if needed. Ive honed em with 600 grit by hand and also used brake cylinder hone to get a good fit.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, bearing in wrong place or one severely turned in by the hammer install technique now used.
    I like my ooooold KRW cam bearing installer, a screw puller. Slower than molasses turning the thing til each bearing is in, but no violence, no cocking, and you can watch it move and be sure oil holes are going right.
    That being said, everyone uses a hammer type nowadays...so get your own for $29 from speedway, read the cam bearing tech in Vizard's classic "How to rebuild your SBC" book so you gettem in the right way, and become the person you can trust to install cam bearings right, unlike your reputable machine shop...

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus