Register now to get rid of these ads!

50 GMC Truck Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yaril, Apr 20, 2008.

1. motorbreath53

motorbreath53
    from SoCal

Hello from the other side of the map....

That motor is looking so damn good. (its almost sad how happy the clear red fuel line can make me...)

I'm getting ready to start wrenching cutting and welding on my 53' chev... hope it comes out near as pretty as this GMC is...

still undecided as to whether it will be bagged, or just static dropped... but seeing this one makes me want bags BAAAD.....

Keep up the good work and keep the inspirational pics coming...

BTW, the bike kicks ass....

2. Yaril

Yaril

thanks, your motor looks great, like the intake painted like that.

thanks, the thing isnt mine. the owner wanted those fogs, dont know what for we live in Miami! tires are actually temps right now 125. dont remember the new tires (they are "smart car" tires)

thank you man! if this was my truck i would not bag it. my client really really wanted airbags, i always try and convince them not to. a nice stance with the correct geometry and shocks is all i want now a days.

progress of the weekend, no where near as much as i hoped, but its progress. the brakes work, steering works (still need some final tweaks) and a bunch of other nonsense stuff is on its way or done. wont be long now. ordering a new dizzy cause the one he had didnt clear the 3rd carb (plus it is UGLY).

[​IMG]

Yaril

3. daaaaaaaamn man , this thread is great , any update pics ????

4. rockabillybus

rockabillybus

Well...... are you road testing it yet?:D

It's looking good man. This is gonna be one sweet ride. You may have to build one for yourself now. Love the color on the motor, different but nice. Keep us posted.

5. Fireball Mezcal

Fireball Mezcal
    from Nebraska

Very impressive work! Love it all! An artist with major skills. Keep it up.
    Charlie

6. 53choptop

53choptop

This is a cool thread, this is exactly what I am doing now, painting the firewall and engine, great motivation.

I am going to bring this one up.....

7. sn33kyp3t3

sn33kyp3t3
    from Tucson, AZ

I just started working on a '49. This thread is perfect for me to follow. Couldn't have asked for a better manual. ;)

So what were you able to find on a radiator for the 350? Do you have to go with a new one?

Thanks,

I hope to see some updates soon.

8. Yaril

Yaril

Thank you! Pics coming soooon.

i probably could not afford this kind of build for myself. and thanks the colors came out as i hoped.

thank you!

thanks!

by no means a manual but at least a visual guide on what to and not do.

update...

well i "finished" my 5th year architectural degree this past Friday! hence the lack of attention to the truck. mama always said school comes first. so now i can get back to the grind.

few things done not really picture worthy...

the steering is all tight now.
    the stock 3 speed selector is now an automatic selector.
    the engine bay inner fenders are painted semi-gloss black.
    the new distributor is on.
    a bunch of other small nick nacks as well as a run to the parts store.

so tomorrow ill snap some pics of what i can and post up.

thanks for all the kind words, school really put a stall on this project. as well as the super slow work from Vintage Speed on the carbs and not to mention Cool Crafts mess up on the radiator. but all is good and im back on it to see it through.

Yaril

9. bstie

bstie

Yaril

Congrats on the degree!!! What school did you graduate from? You better finish up all these cool projects before you sit for the licensing exam!

Keep up the good work and post those pictures! This is one of my favorite builds right now.

10. Yaril

Yaril

hey thanks man! sorry it took a while for the reply...

i havent forgotten about this build... it was just one thing after another. school, then a week off in NC and lastly a tropical storm / hurricane. well now only the "feeder bands" are left so that gives me a chance to make headway on the truck. here is whats new...

got the alternator, other one was shot. this one is 90+ amps. painted it black and the bracket along with some chrome brackets to tie in with a few other things.

got the breather tube in, that was actually quite a mission but its in. also chrome.

got a bunch of button head allen bolts to plug all the nasty left over holes on the face of the motor. think it looks better than a rusty hole. still got a few other places i want to use these on.

hooked up the accelorator pedal and trans kick down. i think it came out quite nice. trimmed the throttle cable down and carefully drilled it through the firewall. again chrome bracket at the carb to support the cables. inside i used a ford mustang "see-saw", this let me use the stock pedal that was a pusher, now it pulls the cable up top. that worked out quite nice. still gotta paint the see-saw and replace the hardware for button heads.

ran the fuel line and filter from the tank to the pump. just gotta find the 1 fitting to run from the pump to the pressure gauge. think ill run that line along the oil pan bolts to not clutter the top of the motor.

dropped the wood floor back in the bead. had to rotate it 180 cause the lower brace was hitting the air tank. sorry forgot to take pics of that. but this weekend or tomorrow ill be working out the front and rear supports so ill snap some pics.

also got the battery, optima red top, it fit in the battery box amazingly. wired that up to the starter and ground.

wow, seems like a lot, but it looks the same. haha, thats just the way it goes. its all the little things that take the most time i guess.

well some pics...

the button heads:

[​IMG]

the throttle cable:

[​IMG]

the pedal see-saw (still got lots of "cleaning" to do in here):

[​IMG]

the fender wheels:

[​IMG]

shot of the alternator:

[​IMG]

well, thats my update for today.

thanks,
    Yaril

11. sn33kyp3t3

sn33kyp3t3
    from Tucson, AZ

Congrats on your degree.

The build is turning out great. i just got my MII IFS kit today. I just need to get a hoist to get the engine out.

This is my first build.

You mind if I shoot you some questions from time to time?

Thanks, Pete

12. Yaril

Yaril

ill do my best to help ya with your questions whenever you want.

13. Yaril

Yaril

today was another did a lot of small things...

got the wiring mostly all figured out.

installed the push-button starter and ran the wires

here is the button with a tube spacer i made to hide most of the threads, also drilled the dash plug to accept the button. worked out nicely and its symmetrical to where the key goes on the dash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wired the alternator, had too much fun with the terminals and shrink tubes, but at least it looks very clean compared to an insulated crimped terminal:

[​IMG]

painted the pedal see-saw as well as the front fender support bars. there was a few other small things that got painted and done as well.

now its "feeder-band" time. that means RAIN! sucks. well, if tomorrow it doesnt rain ill be installing the plug wires and turning the motor over. so that i can wrap up a few things and slap the cap back on.

thanks,
    Yaril

14. Yaril

Yaril

progress of the day...

spark plug wires. all done! TDC #1 the only thing left will be to set the timing.

[​IMG]

mounted the coil as well. used the finned cover from The Hot Rod Company (great customer service). wired the coil to the electronics and to the ignition switch.

[​IMG]

overall shot of how things are coming together. also got the motor to turn over with the switch so just a few more loose ends and this thing should turn on.

[​IMG]

did some other under dash wiring as well. till next time.

Yaril

15. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

great post. cool truck
    keep the updates coming..

bicycle kicks ass too

16. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

Great job, I've been watching this one a while. Keep the pics coming.

17. Yaril

Yaril

no pics of it, but it fired up!!! first literally then after rotating the distributor 180 it sounds great with no pipe on it.

18. Yaril

Yaril

progress... more loose ends no longer loose. got the front cap bolted in place, mocked the rad for hoses and such, drive shaft is installed, mounted some temp / presh gauges and cut all the metal for the raised wood floor.

looks a little better than the drawing huh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the firewall green is much nicer when cleaned and some daylight hitting it

[​IMG]

front cap lined up and bolted down

[​IMG]

ugly gauges down on the column

[​IMG]

the floor gap at the tailgate

[​IMG]

the filler parts

[​IMG]

inside it will look like stock, gunna run an L to support / bolt the front and rear ends of the wood. in the center its supported by the notch and bridge

[​IMG]

till tomorrow, ill be welding in the floor supports along with final rad install and other loose ends.

thanks yall,
    Yaril

19. whid

whid

wow is about all i can say.you definatley have a touch and an eye for detail.truck is amazing.you've given me a few things to think about concerning my 49. and a couple detail tricks i'd like to use. cant wait to see the rest.thanks for takin the time to let us share in the build..........................dave

20. AZLS1

AZLS1
    from Arizona

Yaril - Your work is amazing. Congrats on the degree and congrats on your progress. It is truly impressive.

21. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Glad you can still share as you move along. Great to hear your degree is done. What's next?

22. rockabillybus

rockabillybus

Sweet! Can't wait to see it cruising the streets.

23. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

look really good man, it really makes me want to go work on my old truck, but its hard to do without a welder... one day i imagine :)

24. Yaril

Yaril

thank you all for the kind words. hopefully all these hurricanes will stir clear of florida for a while...

well, the tires are in rout from Coker so in the mean time i went ahead and painted the wheels so they will be ready.

with the truck still up in the air, i got the front headlights / park lights wired up though the wheel well for a cleaner engine bay...

[​IMG]

also used the stock block for quick release of wires for future jobs and for that stock feel, today ill be going back over the wires with some black loom where ever the wires will be an eye sore...

[​IMG]

front bumper is a new item. had to weld / repair the original brackets and fill in a nasty rust hole on the splash pan. the pan wont be perfect but at least it will look the part...

[​IMG]

today all under car work will come to an end. the tail lights will get new wires and all nuts bolts will be double checked. yesterday i tried out the air bags up in the air and everything seems fine, no leaks and all is doing what it should be doing.

thanks,

25. fef100

fef100

Great progress. That truck keeps getting better. Should be great when it's done.

26. Grunion

Grunion

27. Yaril

Yaril

well, the time finally arrived where i put the first mile on the truck!!! still got to get the exhaust done so i simply putted around town but everything seems to be working just fine. the truck lays hard with the fresh Coker raidial whites, only spider caps are missing now (they are on there way). headlights are functioning with high and low beams, tails are wired and new SS ones are on there way. things are on the up and up.

enjoy some pics for now hopefully tomorrow i can get the mellow tone mufflers installed and get the front end aligned. i should be ready for Saturday night cruising.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks,
    Yaril

28. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

cool truck! the last 2 pics are being saved in my computer. you gonna eventually run a hood, or just leave it hoodless?

29. JBW

JBW

I love these old trucks!

30. Yaril

Yaril

the hood is there, i figured i would run it like this till i get all the bugs worked out. ya know. then put it on when all is as best as can be.