Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods local hot rod rotting away

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol'skool29, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Does'nt make sense to you cause was'nt your Dad,also yes I'm sure he would like to see it back on the road,,but he has to be the one to do it. That may have alot of meaning to him. Maybe he and his Dad were gonna redo it,or he remembers riding around in it when he was younger.
    Just cause it sits does'nt mean it does'nt mean alot to him,,but thats a part of his Father that he still has.

Many neat old cars have sat and rotted away,as it was someones Father or Son who died
    in a war or something.

as for "Disgusted"

Think about others ,and Stop thinking about your self and what you want

2. We have some cars that are (rotting away) that ill never do anything with. The rumor is that they cant be bought. Suprise all anyone needs is cash. I get tried of lowball less tham scrap price offers and besides my wife and like to look at them. If you want to buy anything the old saying CASH talks bull walks is true.At least most of us guys that are in some peoples opinion letting them rot are keeping them from being crushed. The bottom line is its his property he can do whatever he wants with it whenever he gets around to it.:rolleyes:OldWolf

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

That's it! My Dad's roadster hasn't been out of the garage in 25 years and it is just fine with me.

4. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

You missed the point all together first off its solid as hell but its not for sale. It wont be as nice as it is forever so i watch it year after year till it is for sale or rots away or the guy dies and his kids sell it . I know if you went there with 20 grand the guy wouldnt sell it. I no what its worth i just figure that everyone on the hamb knows what they are worth thanks for telling me lol, but trust me this guy doesnt, i talk to him a few times a year hes a meat ball that will never fix the car. Hes one of those im going to restore it once i buy the tools and learn to use them its been sitting now for 40 years and ten years ago he bought the parts car and thats rotting away . He keeps the 32 under a roof .

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  5. Shane T.

Shane T.

Now I get it . too much sun today.

6. Some guys build cars and drive them. Some let them sit and look at them. It's his to do with what he wants. Just give him a card "If you ever change your mind" and check back every 6-12 months.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

After this has come up at least 50 times since I joined the HAMB We're no closer to a solution than when I joined. Now for the shocker. I've been buying old cars for over 50 years and the same arguements, reasons, excuses and insanity that ruled the day in 1955 is still the standard by which we deal with those who own cars we lust after today.
    GUESS WHAT!!!!!...............it will still be the same 50 years from now. Think how amused we would be if we could look in on the kid in 2085 trying to buy the 2003 Neon he found rotting in some guys back yard and felling rejected when the old guy tells him "I'm going to fix that old car up some day". :eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool:

Frank

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes, it's hard to understand the person that holds on to things like that, but there is one thing you should do when approaching them. Have the fuckin' cash to back up your interest. In other words, after you spot the car, get the money you would be willing to pay and THEN approach him.

I've seen many a car I'd like to have, but at the end of the day, if the owner said he'd sell it, could I pull the money out of my pocket at that very moment? No. Have the money when you knock on that door. Even the first time.

Of course, he may be some sort of deviate, who gets pleasure from the attention. Kinda sick, but it happens. No matter how lonely he may get, he'll always have the hot rodder who stops by every 3 months.

9. Nitrofan

Nitrofan
    from Kentucky

Yeah, I have ran across a couple those guys in my hometown who say their going to fix it up some day and 5 years later it's still sitting in the same spot...I think they are lonely!

10. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

And sometimes it plays-out very, very differently.

In early may, my boy and I chased-down the owner of an 80's exotic that was getting sun-baked behind a car shop. Great guy, knew exactly what he had, enjoyed the conversation, recognized our interest and expertise in rescuing this model. Said he had owned it over 20 years and it was time for it to have another home. My son said we could come-up with 2 or 3K, he said "make it 2". Tires, brakes, timing belt, water pump and some polishing compound --- we have a beautiful sub-75,000 mile supercar that is now appreciated again every day.

In picking up the title, the conversation turned to a dusty early 60's 2-seater in the corner of the garage. Injected. Claims it was repowered to have 600 hp. That one remains out of reach, for now.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  11. Tell him that you would like very much to help him with the build (if you have the skills), you love hotrods and get a kick out of seeing them on the road. Once he gets into it and sees how much work is involved he may consider selling, or you make a friend for life and “save” the coupe. Never know he might get the bug and sell it to do another car. The comments about having the cash are right, I had my car for sale and was made an offer (below what I wanted) I would of taken it but he didn’t show me the money….will take a couple of weeks ..bla..bla..bla.

12. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

the first 4 cyl twin turbo drifting car

lol

13. Rooster

Rooster

I'm thankful that my 'old memories' vehicle is a truck. Nobody wants it and hassles me about selling it to em. It'll sit there or somewhere else on the property til I die, then I want it crushed. No other person could possibly know it's significance in my life or what it means to me just in the comfort of it's decrepit presence. And so as I age wither and eventually die, so shall it. Every rust spot and weakened extension of it's being mirroring my own til it's over.

14. Gigantor

Gigantor

Take heart. Your definition of "rotting into the ground" is a Mainer's definition of "cherry." You got YEARS before that thing will be even CLOSE to rotting. It might need a new frame and the bottom six inches replaced when you get your hands on it, but it's pretty far off from rotten.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW, $5000 Grand? The dude must really want to keep that car. I'll sell you a 28 Model A, a 37 Buick, a 40 Cadillac, a 56 New Yorker, a 64 Dodge Model 440, an 86 El Camino, a 92 Buick Roadmaster, a 52 John Deere Model B with bush hog and post hole digger, a 14 foot fishing boat, my house, and the 9 acres it sits on for that. Hell, I'll make ya a deal. I'll let it all go for $1000 Grand, and you can keep the running, driving 40 Chevy......

16. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

what part of it doesnt madder if you had 20 grand dont you get . Its not for sale thats the point. Its the fact that he will never fix it and he thinks 5000 was to much he said he only payed 500 for it. HE dont no dick about what its worth or how to fix it he thinks it a 31 model a do you get it now he never raced shit hes a story teller i just didnt want to explain this hole thing but i mit as well now .His kid tells me his freind raced it 40 years ago . His son says he wishes he would have taken the money some day ill get it off his son . Theres a lot you dont know about this whole deal and do you think once again your the only one who knows what a 32 5 window is worth !I just hope somone like you dont stop buy and tells the guy its worth 30 grand or somthing.The only resone i found it is because my buddy sold him the doner car ten years ago and its still sitting right where we dropped it of . I tryed to buy the doner car back for junk a few weeks ago its so bad . But he says hes going to build it and like it or not he would have been better off with the chevy and 5 grand he could drive the car and buy a tv or somthing .So after ive said this would you have offered him 20 thousand if you asked about it and the guy said that old model a its not worth 5 grand

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  17. zapp69

zapp69

Keep on it Dude, you never know!

18. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

it never makes sense.
    guy down the street has:
    custom 56' ford: 30 years in his driveway same spot.
    51 Merc: 20+ sitting next to garage on grass.
    71 convertable Cutlass: Sitting in garage 10 years FINALLY FOR SALE
    68 ford Galaxy: ill mantained daily, rear quarters rotted off.
    55 chevy: ill maintained, multiple rust holes.
    The guy keeps saying the same stuff, i asked what he was going to do with the 51' 3 years ago, "Well i havent done much in a while but i just put a compleat MSD ignition in it, give it a little more power.", glad to know you dont need a floor to go fast.
    Where the guy i bought my truck off of, his 57' ford drag car, stockpile of odd's and end parts, multiple cummings turbo deisel engines, 49-53 ford F-1 peices.
    he'd either sell you or give them if you were kind enough like me.
    personaly, i dont get it, if i had something i wasnt doing anything with, and someone came along wanting it, id be all for giving it up.
    guess its because im young.

19. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I have to say ,,after reading more of this,,that I amazed that most of you think (still think ) that it's all about waving $$ in someones face ??? wtf,,,theres something in teh real world called memories and feelings..yeah some people will never do anything with it
    hell some will even push it out by the side of the road so people will endlessly ask,,but other cars sit for a reason!

20. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Lotta people in this world are hanging on by a thread financially and building a car is a pipe dream. Since you're young, you haven't had the opportunity to live that way for decades. And the moment they sell that car, they're acknowledging it's not going to get better, that's their life.

I've bought a handful of cars over the years from this situation, seller didn't need to say it, their face and property already did. Count your blessings to fall on the HAMB side of that line.

21. last g-man

last g-man

........sad, but true my friend :(.

22. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

you said it.
    this guys by far not hurting in the wallet, two brand new paid for Gm trucks and a paid off house in a nice neigborhood, what gets me is its right across from the township, surprized they dont make him move them.

yeah, im hurting right now getting the 58' together, but thats only because i have the 84' and im trying to keep gas and insurence on it with the money saved from my last job while looking for another.
    but i know how hard it is for some people.
    suppose it comes down to pride or money.

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, Robert, listen. All I was trying to point out is that $5000 Grand is FIVE MILLION dollars.

24. Rusty

Rusty

Take him a good tarp and cover it up, That will let him know you are honestly wanting to take care of it

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

NEXT........... It's not rare ....... Move on..........Find one for sale .........

26. olskool53

olskool53
    from CT

People are funny! i have a neighbor who has the mechanical ability of my 7 year old son. he has a 69 firebird vert , 400, auto, just sitting in the garage with boxes piled on it? Ive been trying to get my hands on that car for years..........he just won't sell it...WTF? You would think that he would want to have his garage back to store his golf clubs but no it just sits on dry rotted tires down to the rims??

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  27. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i never said i wanted to buy it originally, i was just showing what there was stuffed away in northeast smalltowns, and how careless the owners are. true i would like to own it, but if the guy doesnt want to get rid of it, the least i can do is help him work on it and enjoy what his father enjoyed when he was the same age as his son is now.

28. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

I hope he appreciates you taking pics of his car with the plates. Move on its not yours and if he wants to shoot holes in it let him its his.

29. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

My '50 Ford was found in a Farm Field. My '30 Sedan behind an old Mechanic's Shop (The guy is 80 years old and still wrenching on stuff). Two '66 Chargers, no shit, Little ol' Lady, Widow, needed some money to pay the bills. If you see it and it look's neglected; ask about it it won't hurt,., unless ya git shot n runnoft by dem dogs.

The owner of the '50 was never home, I asked his neighbors about it and found out that he worked down the street from where I did. I called and asked if it was for sale. It would be, but, "only if I was going to do something with it." I offered him $1,000 for it and he would'nt take it. He told me that it was worth $750.00. He added a '49 for parts and 2 extra Flatheads (4 total). One runs and had a Weiand 3 deuce intake! We're still friends, I stop by a b.s. ever so often.

Make nice with the guy, help out around his shop or just spend a few hours talking to him if you can stand him. If you don't feel like listening to his stories, you can always learn something from an old timer, Use e-bay and and "buy it now."

30. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

cov·et –verb (used with object) 1.to desire wrongfully, inordinately, or without due regard for the rights of others: to covet another's property.

What makes his hope or dreams for that car less meaningful than your own? If anything, they are more meaningful. IT's HIS.