Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stuff you've learned the hard way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, Jul 19, 2008.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I know it's aways better to just do something right the first time, but I can't think of any better way than F'ing something up royally to really learn a lesson. Often these lessons come when you're completely ignorant to the fact that you did something wrong. Let's hear some stories, I'll start.

Yesterday I found out that a GM starter bolt is different than a regular 3/8-16 bolt. I'd never really looked at one before aside from acknowledging what it's length and thread was. I'd installed the starter on my SBC with 1 real starter bolt, and one generic 3/8 bolt. After a few months of no issues, I went out to start it the other morning, and got a horrific grinding noise. I looked under the truck and found half of the starter's snout on the ground. Turns out, the starter pivoted slightly with the narrower bolt and had cocked itself at a slight angle to the flywheel. The result? It jammed the starter gear in the flexplate and busted off the end of the starter. Price of that lesson? $50 for a new starter and correct bolt and 30 minutes of time.

2. #1 Never buy Shitty tools.
    #2 See above.
    #3 Never loan out books, that you really want back.
    #4 Never loan out tools, that you really want back.

3. dont watch films like hot rod or ag or animal house it could ruin a good life

ahh fuck it
    to late

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Blowen BBC are big boy toys (NOT Cheap) I could of built a car for what I have in my motor .

5. 3 good lug nuts is not a good idea long term ..
    duct tape wont fix everything..
    they make antifreeze for a reason..

6. zgears

zgears

1-dont build a car from parts
    2- building a nice hot rod cheap is more or less hot rod magazine fiction

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It's less expensive to buy a finished car than build one.

It's more fun to build one than buy a finished one.

If you're trying to turn over a stuck engine, NEVER get a very large breaker bar and push down unless you want to slam your nose into the radiator support. Don't ask me how I know this.

8. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

hahaha good laugh here I keep saying this to myself about it being cheaper to buy one done but I have yet to say its fun to build one:rolleyes:

9. Joatha

Joatha

Before starting a motor, sit down and make a checklist of everything you need to tighten, attach, or otherwise line up.

And then triple check that list and don't do it by memory.

10. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

dont let your buddys come by your house and "force" you to drink beers when putting together an engine...........trust me the rear main seal on a 327 only works if facing the right direction , on the bright side it took me two weeks to put it in and fire it up and only 1 day to pull it , open it up , replace the seal the right way , put it back in , and fire it up ......funny how feeling like a dumb-ass can motivate you !

FINK

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Don't waste money on cheap tools just because you can't afford the real thing at the time.

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Don't eat stuff off of the sidewalk......no mater how good it looks!!!

13. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

When changing the oil remember to put the drain plug back in.

14. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

I had a buddy who always had extra parts when he finished fixing his car including break jobs. I would never let him touch any of my cars.

15. When porting and polishing a flathead block, keep your hair away from the grinding stone.... :D

16. Aways use the correct bolt when tightenening up a pack of spring leaves, and when you decide it needs one more turn, dont have your face directly over the top of it..... it can give you two black eyes and fill your eyes with broken glass from your smashed glasses..... or so I've heard..... :D

17. Harbor Freight Brakes Break! :mad: HRP

[​IMG]

18. 61TBird

61TBird

Jack Stands and Wheel Chocks are your Best Friend...

19. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Took some wooden nickels one time.....wish I still had them.

20. TxRat

TxRat

21. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Guys that say "All ya gotta do is..." are 9 times out of 10 absolute morons and have no idea what it takes to "do" what they are describing.

22. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

When buying new rims,know the size of your hub. Don't assume just because the bolt pattern is the same they'll fit. Thankfully I have more than one car needing supremes:rolleyes:

23. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i usually don't get it right the first time. I've had to do several things twice on my car but if you don't know any better you got to learn some how

24. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Regardless of the magazine article or ad there is no such thing as a "bolt on kit". Most require at least a fully equipt machine shop, Industrial supply house and the purchase of about $100 dollars of tools for the person who thought he owned every tool devised by man.:rolleyes:

Frank

25. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

If you're using a hand-held grinder to rough out an I-beam axle that's held in a Bridgeport vise, before you accidentally brush the grinding wheel against the hardwood soft jaws you're using to protect the axle, sending a hardwood toothpick toward your eye at lightning speed, put on your safety glasses.

Other than that, I haven't learned much that really matters.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

26. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Sorry, but I had to correct the spelling and punctuation you didn't get right the first time:

I usually don't get it right the first time. I've had to do several things twice on my car, but if you don't know any better, you've got to learn somehow.

27. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

..ran when parked..

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

never wear a loose shirt with a rip in it while using a big ass hand held grinder. almost lost a nipple with that one. got a cool scar out of it to impress the chicks with though.

metal shavings will stick in your eyebrow and fall into your eye while sleeping

always check to be sure the rubber gasket did not stick to the block when changing your oil filter. lucky for me I always start the car and check for leaks rather than driving off.

use antiseize on your spark plugs if you have aluminum heads. took 25 years and countless plug changes to learn this.

if you break a spark plug while removing it the peice left in the block will fall into the cylinder (see above)

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

deep dish astro supremes DO NOT fit on the rear of a 61 Dodge

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you are done with your dent repair and start drinking do not go back to that dent that "just needs a few more taps" to be perfect.

...unless you like purple finger nails.

..and pain.