Register now to get rid of these ads!

help nailhead in a model A questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VNTGE41, Jul 14, 2008.

1. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

i picked up a 322 nailhead a couple of weeks ago for my model a.first question is can i run the nailhead without having to recess the firewall?it seems that all the model a's with nailheads have to recess the firewall.my coupes got an old checkerboard firewall that was done in the early 60's and i really wanted to leave it as is(rust spots and all)
    Second question is what tranny are you guys with nailheads running?i want to run a 5speed but am starting to think i may just go with an automatic so i can get it on the road sooner.what auto tranny should i use?350,400,what about the stock tranny?i hear the stock tranny sucks for a hot rod,size, weight and performance are not up to hot rod specs.
    thanks in advance for any help

2. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

If your running fenders and a stock Model A frame you will probly have to recess the fire
    wall if your going to cut up a Model A frame and run it fender less then you can make
    it fit with out a recess... you also have to remember that the starter on a nailhead is
    on the driver side.. it makes it a bitch to get the steering box in the right place...so
    cross steering is a good solution... again if your running fenders it will be OK..
    As for trannys the T-5 is a good set up with an s10 tail shaft,,,

Check out Rolf Tech article..in the tech section ...it has allot of good things..

3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

post a picture of your car as well...it will help..

evel

4. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

If you go with an automatic like a TH350 or TH400, you'll need an adaptor kit. Bendsten's and Wilcap's sells them:

http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.html

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/

I'm using a nailhead in my '33 3-window, but it's fenderless with an open engine bay. If I ran the former I'd probably need to recess the firewall. As you can see from the photo, things get tight with the starter being on the driver's side:

[​IMG]

I went the 4-speed route and mated it to a Super T-10.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

5. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

it does have fenders and original frame.im trying to change the least amount possible.(its and old 50's hot rod)but im open to maybe taking off the fenders.hey lee martin what did you have to do to use the t-10?ill post some pics as soon as i get a chance.not on my own computer

6. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

The Super T-10 conversion was pretty easy. I went with an EELCO bellhousing adaptor and flywheel combination (if I had to do it again, I'd go with Bendsten's.....long story, but the parts themselves worked fine). The only trouble was trying to fit a slave cylinder behind the motor. Things are tight on the drivers side due to the starter, so I used a RAM hydraulic throwout bearing.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

7. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

thanks for the info.

8. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Not a Buick guy, always ran Old's. Is there not a starter change over available?

9. Canuck

Canuck

Setting up a 30 coupe with a nailhead, running a stock hood and fenders. This is a side shot with the engine in place.
    [​IMG]

The firewall has been reversed and recessed approximately 4" in the centre to clear the distributor. The engine is offset about 1/2" to the passenger side and clears the steering but is snug. Steering is transverse using a Saginaw box from a 70 Malibu, a interm shaft and U joints from a Astro van and a 74 GM van column.

[​IMG]

The engine has a short waterpump which helps some. Has adequate clearance to run a mechanical fan behind a 4 core rad.

Canuck

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  10. JRussell

JRussell

its so tight onthe drivers side when you use A raills, i got a starter from tom telvo(spell?) he is on teambuick web site a SMART buick man,it allows so much room for a ford box!

Attached Files:

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's Tom Telesco. He's telriv here on the HAMB....

12. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

alot of great info.thanks for the help

13. helmsville

helmsville

here is a pic of mine

Attached Files:

14. ChrisMejia

ChrisMejia

Evel, I have some pics of my lil brothers (VNTGE41) car. Check it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  15. ChrisMejia

ChrisMejia

Andy, It will suck to loose that firewall but you all ready know it won't last for shit. Cut out the firewall, save it as an art piece in your garage and make a new firewall. I'll lay new checks on it.

16. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

I had a 364 NH in my old 29 PU. When I bought it, it already had a Turbo 400 bolted to it with no adaptor. It boggled me and some of the old timers but I had one old timer tell me they were availible one or twor years. The 364 was a 1959 according to the ID #rs, but not sure on the trans. I did have work done on the started in order for it to engage the flex plate properly. Sorry I would pull some measurments and numbers for you if I still had it. I dont think my pic will help much.

I agree with Chis, make a new FW if needed and dress you garage with the old.

Attached Files:

17. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

what engine would fit without having to recess it.flathead,sbc,olds,y-block?

18. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

hey chris thanks for posting the pics of my car

19. OLLIN

OLLIN

just run the nailhead Andy. this one looks bad!@