Register now to get rid of these ads!

lowering nova wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JTM133, Jul 15, 2008.

1. JTM133

JTM133

what is the simplest/easiest/most effective way to lower a 63 nova wagon? has lea springs in back...do not plan on puttin disc brakes on anytime soon so not drop spindles for front...I want an even drop front to back...

2. 53 Tuck N Roll

53 Tuck N Roll

Once you find out and do it, pm and let me know how. I have a 63 wagon (nova) too.

3. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

4. novadude

novadude

Be a little bit careful going TOO low on a stock suspension. Bump steer problems can get ugly with these cars if ride height gets too far from stock. 1badnov would know about this better than me, as his car is dropped. My '65 is pretty close to stock height. Saggy stock springs put the front end right where I wanted it. :)

5. JTM133

JTM133

thanks yall

6. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

This was a little to low with stock parts. I cut 2 coils with 4" blocks out back.

[​IMG]

Looks good but hard on the ball joints. The drop spindles make life easy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. JTM133

JTM133

ouch....yeah, I was actually not wanting to go that low anyway...will stick to 2 or 3" blocks....what about aftermarket springs?

8. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

Go to a spring shop & they can make you a custom set. I used a set of moroso drag springs & cut the down before, they have 5/8 wire instead of 1/2. Not sure if there's any thing else out there. Try asking over on the nova site.

9. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

2" CPP lowering spring up front and 2" blocks in back......

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

10. JTM133

JTM133

ok...thats what I am looking for...perfect...thanks again...

11. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

1badnov, your wagon looks great! What size tires are you running?

12. novadude

novadude

In my opinion, you want to keep your tie rods close to parallel to the ground. If you study what happens on this car with jounce / rebound, you'll see that the tie rods swing in an arc, changing effective length. This gets worse as you go lower (effective length change with suspension movement becomes more dramatic).

Idler arm bearing conversion kit, and good lower control arm & strut rod bushings are a MUST with these cars. Again... just my opinion. :)

13. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

fronts P185/65R15 BFG 2 1/4" Whitewall

rears P215/65R15 BFG 2 1/2" Whitewall

[​IMG]

14. Those thing had crazy front suspension, I believe the coil was on top of the upper A-Arm. There are bolt-on front clips from Fatman and Art Morrison, but expensive.

15. lowlife_slim

lowlife_slim

do it the right way and be done with it. you will spend more money, but the components are safer and will last longer. not to mention you wont be wearing out tires like toilet paper.

Year One has a buttload of suspension parts for 62-74 Novas. i have a 63 Nova 2 door, i am pretty sure the wagon suspension is the same.

2" drop monoleafs for the rear - $349.00
    2" drop coils for the front - $199.00

$550 for a 2" drop is kinda steep, but i think worth it in the long run for ride quality, tire wear, and safety. you can block the back for about $50 as well.

if 2" doesnt end up being enough, cut a 1/4 coil out of those drop springs, and put a 1" block under the dropped monoleafs. then you should be 3" all the way around. that's pretty low on a Nova.

i should be buying these same parts and doing mine soon. let me know if you go this route, or vice versa depending on who goes first.

1badnov, that blue coupe is slick. how the hell did it fall apart like that and flatten the tires?

16. lowlife_slim

lowlife_slim

here's mine now -

[​IMG]

hopefully it will look like this sooner rather than later -

[​IMG]

17. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

http://www.classicnova.com/

Talk to Walt, this is were I got all my stuff from. De-arched leafs with the eye reversed. Air-over rear shocks. Air lift up front,with 2" drop spindles.

18. JTM133

JTM133

Thanks-

Probably block the back and buy the 2" drop springs for the front....cpp only has 1.5 " drop springs from what I could see so will look at the other place recomended...

19. my wagon is a 62 do they make blocks that will work with the poly rear leafs?

20. 283daily

283daily

Lots of good info. Gonna lower mine someday, but for now I just pile a bunch of friends in it. With those old sagy srings I get around 2in.

Attached Files: