Register now to get rid of these ads!

thousand feet, how do ya like it so far???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

..and the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air...

...and the home, of the, brave...

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

does the sun shine where you keep your head?

3. If they want to slow the cars down hand them each a prescribed set of pulleys. Boost = HP.

I feel for those families that lose a loved one BUT, they know the risks. Hell more people die driving to the races than get killed at em.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Are we talking July 4th the day our forefathers declared our independence?

Oh the Star Spangled Banner...
    The rockets red glare and the bombs bursting in air are from the War of 1812 and the bombarding of the American forces at Fort Mc Henry during the Battle of Baltimore.

You sir are in need of a serious history lesson. Thanks for playing. You proved yourself to be an ignorant asshat. Thanks. :eek:

5. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

You can insult members all you want, it won't change the rules.

6. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

I was offering proof that the fire came first, not the holiday. Bsst, you lose.

7. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

oh, and just what "rules" do you speak of?

for the record, i havent insulted you... yet. i asked a question.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hey dipshit... 1776 was before 1812. Or is math beyond you as well? We celebrated July 4th before the war of 1812. Or maybe you didn't get the memo. You are just digging a hole with your ignorance...

Maybe you should read up on your history before you run your mouth.

9. nascar, drags.......it's all like wrestling now. it's all about cubic dollars, i don't watch anything past the mid 60's........i miss the owner operator. :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  10. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

someone give him his ginzu knives and show him the door already

11. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

1000 foot rule.

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

thats right, i forgot this thread was about racing, not BBQ's, fire, bombs, the origins of independance day and the date our national anthem was penned.

13. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

I'm not a fan of the 1000 ft race!! If they (NHRA) feel the need to slow down the fuel cars there are a number of ways to do it without changing the length of the race. I highly respect the opinions of racings elders ie: Garlits, Prudohme, etc... And if they as drivers/owners feel that its out of hand then it probably is. I really don't like the Idea of slowing the cars down but if it must be done, it must. If you take away extra mags , plugs and reduce the fuel pump volume,along with lower percentages of nitro, they will figure out other ways of going faster,so it may only buy them a couple of years anyway.

14. GaryC.

GaryC.

Since the distance of the race is shortened...
    was the ticket price cut a proportional amount?
    How about snacks and refreshments?

If the distance isn't 1320 it seems a little silly,
    but then again, it's not me who is risking my neck.

If the cars manage to achieve greater speeds
    than before the distance change will they shorten it even further?

15. Since we are going to close the books and start a new set of 1000 ft records, why not a totally new paradigm? Let's cut the V8 in half. Allow any number of sparkplugs, any size pump, any blower and any amount of boost. Any %age of Nitro. Simply limit cubic inches. It won't be a linear route to records, because the changes make that moot. But, it would allow the crew chiefs to make creative choices and innovate again. I hate that Top Fool and Funny Car are an excersize in sandbagging. Let's find a way to run them out the backdoor again.

Of course, it's a little too late for me. I already prefer the nostalgia fuel cars. It's a far better show and a bunch more fun for the participants.

16. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i think this thread has reached the 1000' mark. shut er down

17. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

does anyone remember when the NHRA was about Hot Rods, not computer controlled machines in which the driver pushes a button and is along for the ride.

18. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yup!!!!!!!!!

19. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

That mile high Denver air is why they made 'Denver Heads' for flathead Fords back in the day ;-) Milled 30 or more thousandths.

That whirring sound you hear when you put your ear to the ground IS Wally spinning!!!

1000ft suc's.

20. ocfab

ocfab

may as well put a throttle stop and call it top fuel bracket racing.

21. I was at the Drags Friday, was sitting about 100 feet in front of the start line in the second row of the cheap seats. It was great qualifying to watch, the launches were brutal and I saw no lack of competition. There were no delays to speak of which is basically is an indicator that less things broke. And witnessed a 308 mph 3.94 second run, not too shabby.

Don Prudohme said the 1000' this was a "band-aid" which makes sense if you think about it. All those teams weren't going to completely re-equip in the last week on the road, with no testing. This was a stop-gap. Between the seasons I look for them to re-instate the full 1320' with some equipment, and probably fuel mixture changes.

And to those who were arguing that its just speed, many times Friday the winner with the best ET had a slower speed than the loser. There's something to be said for getting off the line and hooking up.

Johnnie.

22. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

a shorter track was not going to save either one of those guys, i dont want anyone else hurt or killed either but if a player had a heart attack at a superbowl game do you think the NFL would shorten the field to 50 yards??? and even more important, would the fans still wanna go to a game?

23. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Can someone tell me which part of a modern fueler is COMPUTER CONTROLED? :rolleyes:

...ANYWAY I watched qualifing and NHRA Race Day this morning. I feel like I'm watching a STUPID COMP (Super Comp) race. I'm not completely sold and I get the impression that some of the players interviewed are not as well, but at the same time they say it's the right thing to do for now (band-aid). It may be the right thing to do for now. What's the fix going to be? Sounds to me what ever they do is going to result in a slower car. Drag Racing used to have no Speed Limit. Lame.

PS
    "The Fourth of July ought to be celebrated by pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations (fireworks) from one end of this continent to the other"

--John Adams

In 1941, Congress declared July 4 a federal holiday.

Do the math.

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Regardless of when the federal government decided to declare it a federal holiday, which was 1931 not 1941, it has been celebrated since 1777...

I guess a history lesson is in order...

• In 1777, thirteen guns were fired, once at morning and again as evening fell, on July 4 in Bristol, Rhode Island. Philadelphia celebrated the first anniversary in a manner a modern American would find quite familiar: an official dinner for the Continental Congress, toasts, 13-gun salutes, speeches, prayers, music, parades, troop reviews, and fireworks. Ships were decked with red, white, and blue bunting.
    • In 1778, General George Washington marked July 4 with a double ration of rum for his soldiers and an artillery salute. Across the Atlantic Ocean, ambassadors John Adams and Benjamin Franklin held a dinner for their fellow Americans in Paris, France.
    • In 1779, July 4 fell on a Sunday. The holiday was celebrated on Monday, July 5.
    • In 1781, the Massachusetts General Court became the first state legislature to recognize July 4 as a state celebration.
    • In 1783, Moravians in Salem, North Carolina, held the first celebration of July 4 in the country with a challenging music program assembled by Johann Friedrich Peter. This work was titled "The Psalm of Joy".
    • In 1791 was the first recorded use of the name "Independence Day".
    • In 1870, the U.S. Congress made Independence Day an unpaid holiday for federal employees.<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7]</sup>
    • In 1931, Congress changed Independence Day to a paid federal holiday. The residents of Vicksburg, Mississippi, celebrated Independence Day for the first time since July 4, 1863, when the Siege of Vicksburg ended with a Union victory during the American Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(US)

I like math and history too...

25. Brewton

Brewton

I wish the NHRA would have limited just the short shutdown tracks to 1000' for the rest of the '08 season. Then, starting '09 - cut back the fuel pumps, mags, and blowers ..... let them run a full 1/4 mile.

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep.

Nothing to do with Trad Hot Rods and/or Trad Customs anyway...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.