Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nice score on some hammers, dollies, etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Pretty stoked about this. Picked it up super cheap locally. Always wanted this stuff but could never bring myself to spend the money.

A couple of the hammers needed new handles which was an easy fix. It all looks like good stuff even if it does need some clean up. A few pieces look home-made and I think that strange barbell looking thing was just thrown into the lot because it was big and metal. Hammers are stamped "HELLER" or "PLOMB". Dollies not marked except that big comma shaped one and I've forgotten what it says. Looks to be really useful at any rate.

I've already done some small work on the coupe and it's great. But also trying to back off a bit and learn exactly what I'm doing before I get in over my head.

Attached Files:

2. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

way to go, those tools will come in handy to make that coupe look good.

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Heller, Plomb, later Plumb and still later Proto are all top notch auto body
    tools. The "C" shaped dolly looks to be a Porter Ferguson, also a top notch
    brand!

Great score!

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Don't hit your thumb!! :)

5. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

yur gonna shoot your eye out kid!

nice score dude. go beat hell outta some tin! :cool:

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Before you use them, take a grinder to the working surfaces. get'em smoothed out, then polish the surfaces with some flap discs, start with 60 and end with 120 grit. You might even want to take the finish up to 400 or 600 grit, with a DA, set to NON random orbit.
    The surface of the hammer face or dolly will transfer to the metal you're working. SO a rough surface on a dolly will make a smooth metal surface rough as well.

7. Good score, I asked for a shrinking hammer for Christmas early on in our marriage, my young wife bought me a real nice craftsman tack hammer. (I still have it)

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chopolds is right, only we used a linisher. Found them easier to get a good finish on, right down the line and then we polished them with a super strong cutting compound.
    We used all the dolly's you have there except for the C shaped one, that was busted and not replaced while I was in the panel shop.
    Awesome score, any one of those dolly's would start at 35-40 bucks over here!

9. Rusty

Rusty

Too Cool, I am looking too

10. The Dodge Guy

The Dodge Guy

great score!!!!!!!!!

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nice score... if you haven't read The Key to Metal Bumping already. Now would be a good time... Chopolds speaks the truth as well....

12. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

There's a few hundred dollars worth of tools in that picture. I'm sure you scored them for much less. Good idea to smooth and polish the working surfaces any imperfections will end up on the work piece.
    Metal working can be addictive, enjoy the journey

Frank

13. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Very good score, did the same once. A body guy i know had a garage sale got 16 pieces - 8 dollies & 8 hammers for ten bucks.

One thing for sure yours and mine didn't have china printed on anything

14. sweeeeeet score,

15. David Totten

David Totten

Any Plomb stuff is quit collectable most hammers go for over a bill on EBay.. They are nice stuff. Good score.

16. 53chevy

53chevy

Good score! I've been gathering up old tools as well. Here in SoCal with all the swap meets we have, I've been getting good deals on old tools. Some of them they just don't make anymore. People complain about no good parts, How about buying tools to fix your car, just as important.

Ken

17. I would wager the "bar bell looking" thing actually is an old Bar Bell.

There was a matching pair at my Grandparents place when I was a kid.
    Same deal,rough cast texture on the outside.

18. Chad s

Chad s

Yes, that porter ferguson is a VERY good one, and worth good money. I'd like to have one, havnt gotten into a situation yet where I wished I had it, but Im sure it comes in handy

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

so, tell us please what the hell a dolly like that one would be used for?

20. BenW455

BenW455

21. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know how to explain it, but it fits your hand any way you hold it you can just look at it and tell how each side might be used. Took a close look at it earlier and it as well as the long "S" shaped bar are labeled Porter Ferguson and both have traces of red paint on them. Smart tools. Can't wait to really learn how to use them.

Seems strange that they would have been painted but they were. I plan to start by going over everything with a scotchbrite pad to clean the crud off. From there I might post pictures and ask how to get rid of any problems if I find them.

22. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The larger 'C' shaped dolly, made by Porter Fergeson, was made for heavy
    truck and bus fender work. Heavy as hell, and can really pack a punch when swung hard. It also has large working faces on it which come in handy for flattening buckles and waves and hot shrinking, as well.
    The 'S' shaped tool, or double -end driving and fender bending tool, is used for straightening flanges on fenders and hood panels. The square pads on the tool are ment to be struck with a hammer, once the hook end
    is placed around the bent flange.
    Porter Fergeson was one of the high-end tool makers who painted their
    hand tools. First they were using orange, later red, still later blue, jus'
    prior to their going out of the business in the 70s.

Swankey Devils C.c.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

23. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

man, that sounds like an awesome tool... i'm going to have to keep an eye out for one.

so its called a "C" dolly then? thanks!