Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holdens?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stone, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just FWIW, it is possible you could scare one up stateside, in the one junkyard last year (2006) a later Holden turned up - right hand drive and all - I'm not sure what year, but it's the one that resembles the 61-62 Chevy (particularly in the windshield shape). I couldn't get it, but I did get a set of dog dish caps and the horn button out of it.

2. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

sounds like EH/EJ/EK Holden :confused:

3. dlnqnt73

dlnqnt73

That looks sick mate! When you modified the back bumper and took the overriders off what did you do about getting the plate lit? WA cops are evil on that modification, they want the overriders there because it has the license plate light in it. I dont know if my eyes deveive me but it looks like you added a plate surround? If so would love to know what you did.

Irish

4. screwball

screwball

Sorry for the hijack. Do any of you know Ausies know Ian Berry he just moved back there from Ottawa Ont. He was a past editor of the Newsleder and collected retro bicycles. P.M. me if anyone knows where he is. Im not a bill collector just a friend.

5. So that's his name? Someone was asking about him the other night and I couldn't think of his name. NFI where he is though.

6. Stone

Stone

I know this is old but do any of the Aussie members know what happened to the bare metal Holden build?

7. I think Chopper is still working on it. One of those Aussie Mexicans will be able to give you a better answer. Carps would know for sure.

I assume that's the car you're talking about, of course.

8. Work is progressing slowly, I'll try to get some shots Friday night as well be up there for the cruise night.

9. Hi, I added a FC Holden number plate surround (little grinding required but fits well)...this has a built in light...which I keep forgetting to wire up. :)

M

10. ...

Attached Files:

11. John in Oz

John in Oz

To answer the original question, yes that car is made from a 4 door sedan, it doesn't look like the wheel base has been shortened but a great custom anyway. They came out in a 4 door sedan, a ute and a panel van or sedan delivery you Americans would refer to them as.

The original designs were done by Buick engineers and the dies were made in the U.S for the first 48 250 which was given the name of an FX. The first one came out in 1948 hence the 48 part of the name 48 250, strickly speaking there never was an official name of the vehicle being called an FX. However the FJ was a Trade name for the next model, Holden had been building bodies for GM in the way of Vaxhalls, Olds and Chev etc, similar to Murray building Model A fords.

That'll do for now.

12. rooman

rooman

John,
    the first Holden was actually designated 48/215

Roo

13. Stone

Stone

Awesome. Thanks.

14. John in Oz

John in Oz

Roo you are dead right to, thanks for the correction.

15. In fact there were two models initially, the number 215 indication a Holden Business sedan or Standard model, the number 225 was later used to identify the Holden Special or 'deluxe' model. It's uncertain if it was because the public opted to call the original model FX rather than by it's correct nomenclature 48/215, that the next model was given two letters for it's identification code. FJ/215 being the Business or standard sedan, FJ225 being the Holden Special or deluxe model. Ever since, Holden models have been identified simply by two letters.

Here’s what mine looked like in the late 1950's when it was only a few years old. It’s on the left side of the street parked outside my uncle and aunt's shop in my hometown.

[​IMG]

Here’s what it looked like by 1971

[​IMG]

And by 1973 it was all shiney again……

[​IMG]

And by 1975 it was pretty much done …..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here’s what it looks like today. That’s BobK in the driver’s seat, I’m much better looking!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  16. Here’s Chopper’s, it’s changed a little since these shots were taken and now has a full chassis, quick-change rear and Pontiac 389 engine.

The body is chopped and sectioned but not shortened.

[​IMG]

17. A tub

A tub

this car ive seen many times in mags etc, its very historic car as far as customising holdens( or aussie built cars for that matter), ive seen pics of this car in several colours too all looks great, a massive feat for any person what hes done, and a great job at that:cool::cool:

18. A tub

A tub

your pretty well spot on there Bobby mate, in fact u are spot on and yes they were def scaled down they are a fair size smaller than the american cars, ( im not knocking the aussie cars btw in saying this if it wasnt for these cars i wouldnt have started my journey into car modification and there will always be a place in my heart for these cars as ive owned quite a few old holdens (pre 64 eh,58 fc,:D:Detc etc)

19. Carps, a hamb plaque would look great on the FJs firewall.
    oldest holden i owned was a 63 EJ. now ive got an 83 tonner.
    ive owned around 15 diffrent holdens over the years.

20. Believe it or not.

Pics of a nice Holden custom taken in Tauranga Swapmeet '09 NZ.
    Was a 4 door '58 EC model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. John in Oz

John in Oz

Lifestyles that car was built not far from where I live and they moved to N. Z about a year or so ago, He has done a lot of work on that car with the changes.

22. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

In Mad Max Road Warrior, there was a Holden ute with a 66 full size Pontiac grill, hidden headlights (I think) and the tail lights of a 66 full size Chevy with one of the three rectangles yellow. I keep pausing the movie to try to find out what model it is and find a better picture. Does anyone out there know what it is?

23. The blue FC is Andrew Clatworthy's. He has/had a business called Street Neat Customs, not sure if he's still using that name in NZ. Pretty sure he's still messing with cars.

24. zep058

zep058

I reckon this car shows that the Aussie models can be customized to show off there lines and is a fairly well executed two door conversion-The Mez. Photo courtesy of smooth customs. Also did well with the hood ornament..

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• mezD.jpg
      mezD.jpg
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
  25. Mmm, that pic is stretched, which helps the car, as long as you don't like round wheels. ;)

26. zep058

zep058

Geez, good eye!

Are you one of those guys that can draw a perfect circle freehand?

:eek:

27. Call me Giotto.

28. Choppers FJ as it sits...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. autobilly

autobilly

Hey Carps, I heard one credible storey about the origin of the nickname of the 1948/215(sedan body). It seems that the popular name may have actually come out of the factory! At Fisherman's Bend in the early days the Nasco office was nextdoor to the Engineering shop and the Nasco guys were always in there. The story goes that when a revised front crossmember was developed to rectify handling issues with the first 215's, the revised cars became known as FX's. Thanks to the Nasco guys and their propensity for "marketing" the name got out and stuck.

30. Stone

Stone

Devilrod thanks for those shots. I love that car. What kind of motor is he using? I know from talking with Aussie minitruckers that you guys go through some hardships to build radical rides.
    When you build a radical custom do you have to have it signed off by an engineer before it can be put on the road?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.