Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum cleanup/polish?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Jul 11, 2008.

1. So I posted earlier I picked up a set of Chevy Mickey Thompson valve covers.

Anyhow, the truck sat somewhere where they picked up a lot of surface dirt and corrosion.

Is there anything I can use with a buffing pad to clean them up so they look nice again? Rubbing compound, chrome polish, along those lines? I don't want to scratch the crap out of them with a wire brush.

Can post pictures of them if it helps figure out how best to clean them. Doesn't look like the engine got a lot of run time with these pieces on, insides are real clean, but it sat in a cow barn or something for a long time.

2. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Proable need to see em first see if its exfoliation or if its turned into grainular corrosion

3. Whatever it is, it has like a yellowy color to it -

4. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I used a chemical cleaner-- HD SABRE which seemed to work really well. Check it out at www.eacochem.com . It wasn't to expensive, willnot hurt other metals won't eat your hands and leaves a protective coating. It may do the trick for you at least to clean it up good befor polishing.