Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot August Nights? Bonneville Speed Week?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

So, who here plans on going to either one? My plan is to make H.O.N. for sure, but I'd REALLY like to get to Speed Week this year for the 60th Anniversary.

I also read in the Goodguys Gazzette that they are having a commemorative Bonneville Speed Week display of actual Speedweek Salt racers this year at Pleasanton in mid-August. THAT should be a cool display. thier hoping that guys shop up with their cars in tow fresh off the salt...

2. rabidcustoms

rabidcustoms
    from Iowa

I had plans to make Bonneville this year,....but due to some unforseen issues I dont know if I'll try to make it or not now.

still up in the air.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here. I have the time off but the expense of gas may be the killer.

I might have to fly to Salt lake and hitch hike to the salt flats.

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

Yeah, gas is my concern too. We usually rent a soccer-mom-van in Reno and drive it there, and 4 guys split the gas. It shouldn't be more than $150 each or so, but I can remember when it was $40 each, so it is a hard pill to swallow. BTW: if anyone DOES decide to rent a vehicle, don't tell them where you're taking it or you may not get to rent it. You just have to get it on a lift and high pressure wash the undercarriage REALLY good and leave NO signs of salt anywhere (it gets crushed into the carpet really easy - we always put visqueen down to protect the carpet) or they'll hit you with a major pen$$alty when you bring it back.

5. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

bonneville-or-bust!

6. 1931av8

1931av8

I did both last year. HAN was a bit of a dissapointment. Too many muscle cars, billet rods, 80's pastel paint schemes for my tastes. The swap meet was pretty weak also.

Speedweek, on the other hand, was GREAT! Best traditional cars I saw the entire time. The only drawback is lodging. If you don't have a room, don't expect to find anything within an hour of the course. You can camp, but it is pretty primitive and HOT.

I would vote for Speedweek first if you have to choose between the two.

My 2 cents.

7. pecker head

pecker head

Dang ! Wish I was going !

8. 29 de soto

29 de soto

gave up on h.o.n. about 10 years ago!going to bonneville for a quick three day trip,thats all we can squeez time wise!

9. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Both Strombergs97 and I are going to speed week. Never been there and I really need to go at least once............meet some of the people on this site and others along with some of the racers that will hopefully be there.
    Neither of us will be taking our hot rods, maybe next year.
    Gas is an issue so we will probably be going in my (Focus) highway car/37mpg and room for the tent (not really a camper but this trip was put together just a month ago) and other stuff so it will be a little crowded, to see the 60th and just be there is a once in a life time event. Can't wait!!!!!!

10. Wouldn't give up the salt for anything.

11. RoscoeFink

RoscoeFink
    from Idaho

It's Bonneville-Or-Bust for me, Daddy-O.
    Nothin' can keep me off the Salt. Anybody who has ever been there can attest to the fact that there is no event quite like it. It's like HotRodder paradise.
    My opinion: Save your cash from H.A.N. and Hit the Salt.
    on a side note:
    If you haven't made hotel reservations by now, you probably won't get a room.
    But it's worth camping for.

Everybody else is mentioning it - I'm taking my '49 and caravaning down with some Old Cat Hot rodders. I say Gas Prices be damned, it's a once a year event. Granted, it's only about 400 miles for me, but it is over a mountain pass, and my sled doesn't get anything resembling good gas milege.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Just to get you guys spooled up. Nothing like this to see in Reno

Attached Files:

13. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

B'ville will be great, been planning on going for years and now finally am going to make it. Got rooms in Jan., leaving WIS. on the 15th and picking up 3 other cars in Rockford. Yea, were driveing the rods out, maybe once in a lifetime event for us. I really got fired up again after watching the 3 minute intro of the Rolling Bones trip to B'Ville last year. See ya there!!!

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

16 more sleeps then Megan and I hit the road in Big Olds!!!:cool:

15. Weasel

Weasel

HAN really sucks and it's a big ripoff too - after ten years of attendance I am never going back. Full of gangbangers, lowriders, billet beaters complete with lawn chairs, Hawaian shirts and his 'n hers matching attitudes. Nowhere to park as apparently the car show weenies acquire the freehold interest on wherever they park for the duration of the show - what a freakin' egofest.:mad:

Now Bonneville - that is something else, but I'm damned if I can figure out how they are going to get all 550+ entries to run.:confused:

16. zapp69

zapp69

Arrived in LA today, 1st day of my Honeymoon (got married on July 26th) we will drive north to Hotrod-a-Rama, then catch HAN, cant do Speedweek this trip but will be at HAMB drags.

From where I live any show will be Shit hot, even if there is Billit Stuff

Dean

17. SlamIam

SlamIam

Just got back from Reno, had a good time but HAN was way down this year, cruise, shows, and swapmeet. Best things were low prices at the swap, grudge drags at Reno-Fernley Raceway, mexican food at the booth just outside the Event Center, and the National Auto Museum where I saw an old car that had the crank bolted to the frame - the whole engine spun under the hood and acted as its own flywheel, amazing.

18. Stu Cool

Stu Cool

I had a good time at HAN as always. I agree it seemed like there was less of a crowd, though there were still plenty of cars. Reduced hotel rates were still going right up to the week-end I heard. Also heard thre were bargains to be had at the auction. The quote was "The guys with no reserve were getting killed." I went to the drags on Friday night and ran my car, what night were you out there? That was a lot of fun. I was disappointed there were not more HAN registered cars out there. But we did not get there till after 9 and hung around till about midnight.

Pat

19. SlamIam

SlamIam

Pat, we were at the drags Friday night 7-11, must have seen you run, thanks for the show! Had a great time, wish there was a place like Reno-Fernley Raceway here, I really miss the old Raisin City strip.

20. Stu Cool

Stu Cool